1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

good riddence

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by etyler88, Feb 17, 2007.

1. member

member New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ Feb 17 2007, 06:50 PM) [snapback]392184[/snapback]</div>

I actually liked hearing what they had to say even if I haven't experienced their problems nor agree with them. Not everyone maintains the same sensibilities, and I can't see rejecting people's opinions who don't share mine.
    The meat of what I read suggested dealer negligence played a large role in the customers' dissatisfaction. I'm sure many of us are familiar with that...

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jgills240 @ Feb 18 2007, 10:57 PM) [snapback]392631[/snapback]</div>
    ANOVA, fear thee, and her evil henchman, heteroscedasticity.

Weibull Distribution can whoop yer butt too

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Feb 18 2007, 07:18 PM) [snapback]392584[/snapback]</div>
    The diversity of owners is truly remarkable. There's one that got bit by the "stall" right after purchase and has complained ever since... rather than selling. Why? Prius were so hot that only a small loss, if any, would have been the outcome. But instead, he drove another 60,000 miles with it.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ Feb 17 2007, 09:50 PM) [snapback]392184[/snapback]</div>
    A parting shot to cry, "i'm dissatisfied". Let me go get you a handkie, so you can be on your way.

5. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ Feb 17 2007, 05:50 PM) [snapback]392184[/snapback]</div>
    Er...correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Prius ICE has a timing belt. It has a timing chain, which should go 250M+ miles without replacement. :rolleyes:

6. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: A perhaps applicable metaphor could be that of the DUCK

Be like the DUCK who has oil in its feathers... just let the criticism roll off your back like water off a duck's back. If you bathe the DUCK in detergent, washing the oil out of its feathers, it will get water-logged, sink and drown. "Keep the oil in your feathers."

It really makes no difference to me why others may be dissatisfied with their Prius and want to 'sound off' about their displeasure. To let their complaints get under your skin is rather akin to being overly sensitive to what that person on the sidewalk thinks of the car you drive... does it really matter?

This is an open forum, so if they want to complain, rationally or irrationally, it's their right.

7. jgills240

jgills240 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Feb 19 2007, 03:48 PM) [snapback]392931[/snapback]</div>
    So you're sayin' I don't need a wash, nice! I do sometimes have oily hair, but it doesn't keep me from getting wet. But maybe that's just salt water..... :blink: :lol: (yes, this is still keeping with the metaphor....)

8. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ Feb 17 2007, 08:50 PM) [snapback]392184[/snapback]</div>
    I like our Prius, but I never would have purchased it if the decision were soley mine to make. It just doesn't appeal to me, its weird looking, its not very comfortable, the interior is stark. It was however not my choice since its not my primary vehicle, its my fiance's primary vehicle and its purchase was primarily her decision. I'd trade it for a little SUV like a Rav 4 in a heartbeat if she'd let me.

Doesn't mean I'm wrong, and doesn't mean you're wrong. It just means we have different opinions. Learn to be tolerant of the opinions of others and you'll be a happier person.

9. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Feb 20 2007, 09:38 PM) [snapback]393728[/snapback]</div>

We need more of this kind of thinking in the world today. Thank you!

10. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Feb 20 2007, 08:38 PM) [snapback]393728[/snapback]</div>
    You are not of Prius. You are not of the body. Guards! Seize him!

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Feb 21 2007, 04:54 AM) [snapback]393815[/snapback]</div>
    Trekie :lol:

12. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Feb 21 2007, 12:38 AM) [snapback]393728[/snapback]</div>
    It's not a matter of right or wrong. An automobile is a huge depreciating pile of otherwise valuable resources. I believe it's more of a matter of making sacrifices once in a while. I prefer the Mustang or Outback over the Prius but when my Altima died, I opted for the Prius. I believe in making sacrifices where one is able. An automobile doesn't have to be the extension of one's identity. It's a mechanism to get an individual from point A to point B, period. If one pays attention to the bigger picture, there aren't many current options that can be considered as sound as the Prius.

13. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Feb 21 2007, 03:54 AM) [snapback]393815[/snapback]</div>
    I will resist you with my last ounce of stregnth! ;)

So its not a matter of right and wrong, you're right and anyone who doesn't see things the way you do is wrong? Real balanced.

Sorry, I don't buy into the whole "Hybrid cars save the world" routine. In all honesty I do believe that over its lifetime a Prius probably is as detrimental to the environment as any other compact to midsized sedan is because of the materials used to construct its batteries. Is it a good thing to do your part? Absolutely, but lets be real.

Who gave you the right to tell me that my car is not or should not be an extention of my identity or that it must be a mechanism to get to point A and point B soley or to insinuate that if I purchase a vehicle because it gives me enjoyment I'm not "looking at the bigger picture" or that I'm being selfish? To me, a car is not simply a way to get from point A to point B. Cars are my passion, and I spend a LOT of time in my car. I'm going to drive what I want to drive and what makes me happy, sorry if thats an issue for you.

In fact I'd say by your arrogant, self righteous diatribe up there extoling your sacrifices and your attention to the big picture I'd say your car is absolutely an extension of your identity. I'm unimpressed with them both.

Sorry, I have zero tolerance for the "smug".

14. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Feb 21 2007, 11:08 PM) [snapback]394380[/snapback]</div>
    I will conceed hybrid cars will not single-handedly save the world, but does the snip above remind you of Art Spinella and CNW Marketing a bit? Hybrids are an improvement.

The thread was about saying "goodbye" - the best ones are relatively short and not excessively melodramatic.

15. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Feb 22 2007, 01:08 AM) [snapback]394380[/snapback]</div>
    There are 6 Billion people on this planet all subsisting off of limited resources. Conduct yourself in the manner that you deem necessary and not only you will suffer the consequences. You may call this selfish, if you wish.

16. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm not saying Hybrid cars are bad, far from it. I'm saying Hybrid cars are not the answer to the world's energy and pollution problems.

If Lexus made a hyrbid car that fit into my needs I'd buy it. If I were buying a GS I'd buy a GS450h, an RX I'd buy an RX400h. But I'm not going to drive something I don't want to drive just because its a hybrid.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Feb 22 2007, 12:35 PM) [snapback]394600[/snapback]</div>
    HAHAHAHAHA So me driving a luxury sedan that gets 23MPG is going to make EVERYONE suffer the consequences? Come on, get over yourself. Sell your Prius and buy a bike if you really want to help the world. Our Prius right now is getting 25 MPG. Big benefit there.

I'm glad you can lead such a selfless life, me I'm going to enjoy myself a little bit too. Oh I forgot, your selfless lifestyle lets you enjoy feeling superior to others, got it.

I think I'm going to go empty a can of hairspray into the air and go eat a big ol slab of beef.

Most of you guys here are cool, but tools like this guy make me wanna puke.

17. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Feb 22 2007, 01:55 PM) [snapback]394608[/snapback]</div>
    They use half the gas, so we're halfway there so far as individual transportation is concerned.

Your Prius is getting 25 MPG?!?!?!? Sounds like you drive in the same manner in which you communicate, aggressively.

18. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    SW03ES, I guess we are in agreement on hybrids after all.

Sometimes I wonder if the "green smugness" is overstated. There are people in trim hybrids that think they are special, just as there are people driving Hummers that think they are God's gift. It seems at times the smug label is thrown at people who are simply zealous.

A vehicle is to get you from point A to point B. To me it should not be a big vanity item.

19. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't drive the Prius, my fiance does and she doesn't drive aggressively. The reason the MPG is so low is because its been so cold here and she only drives a couple miles to work, car never heats up. It gets 35-40 MPG normally.

I apologize for being aggressive, but you have been EXTREMELY offensive in the way you have communicated with me. I realize you think you're better than everyone who doesn't drive or want to drive a Prius but you've got to get over that. I'm not a violent person at all, however if you had been in front of me and said those things to me in that way, I really might have popped you one and that would have been the first time I'd ever done that.

Learn not to be a prick.

Remember, you're the one who said to me there is no right or wrong, your way is the only way. If you don't think sentiments like that are going to get met with aggression, you're completely out of touch with reality.

As for Hybrids using half the gas, thats not true. There are plenty of completely gas cars that get mileage similar to the Prius, and when you start looking at the Hyrbid Camrys and Lexuses of the world that definately goes right out the window.

Exactly, this guy SSimon is no different than a yuppie in a Hummer driving around on a cell phone. His choice in vehicles makes his crotch grow because he thinks it makes him better than everybody else.

Everybody's different. I don't consider it a vanity item for me, I simply have always loved cars. Cars are my passion, so its one thing in my life that I always buy what I want. Has nothing to do with anybody else.

20. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Feb 22 2007, 12:16 PM) [snapback]394630[/snapback]</div>
    That's very reasonable to expect such low fuel economy on a very short winter commute. ScanGage pitch: Those that have it can probably mention times it took eight minutes or longer for the coolant to reach normal operating temperature.

Hybrids are not the solution, but definitely a part of it. Remember the 80's cars that could get 40mpg? (Civic, CRX, Tercel, Golf...) Better crash safety took a hit on the FE, but that's not the biggest reason fewer subcompacts are getting 40mpg or better. It's the stress on more performance and the lack of 5-speeds in the non-hybrid models.