1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

good riddence

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by etyler88, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Washington1788

Washington1788 One of the "Deniers"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If a Prius isn't your cup of tea for whatever reasons, then there are plenty of other cars to choose from out there...that much is clear. However, if you're going to own a hybrid car (Prius or any other) I think its wise to recognize that different people are going to have different reasons for owning such a vehicle.

Granted, I would estimate a majority of people buy hybids (at this stage) because of their environmental concerns. For me, I bought a Prius because I would like to see our country less dependent on foreign oil and the fact that I like to pay less for gas. That's about it -- I don't buy the global warming arguments. If those are reasons you want to have a hybrid, then by all means...go for it.

I would like to see more choices when it comes to hybid vehicles and I think that is only a matter of time. But if you want people to see hybrids as a good alternative to regular cars, then financial incentives (similar to the tax credits in effect) should be extended, even expanded.

But in the meantime, if you still want to drive a Ford Focus, an Explorer, or whatever, then do what you need to do. :)

2. adamwmcanally

adamwmcanally New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

3. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Feb 23 2007, 12:45 PM) [snapback]395269[/snapback]</div>
    But I think you must include the economic ramifications in any of these dialogues - I believe I just read somewhere that without some type of reform, 20% of every dollar will be spent on healthcare within 10 years. Right now the cost of "going green" in many ways (not talking Prius here, per se) is a deterrent to more people doing so. Reducing the availability of funds to invest in more eco-friendly ways of living is not in anyone's best interest.
    I undrestand your points on the auto industry and agree, but don't think improving our health and the planet's are as separate as people may think...

4. adamwmcanally

adamwmcanally New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Feb 23 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]395346[/snapback]</div>
    I agree....both problems will be hard to solve without government intervention. You would be hard pressed to find two industries (big oil and helathcare) that spend more money lobbying government officials. Environemental legistlation and healthcare reform have been largely ignored because of this.

5. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Feb 23 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]395346[/snapback]</div>
    The cost of going "green" can also be a cost savings mechanism by implementing conservation. This is by far the single most effective, easily implemented, cost saving vehicle for helping our enviornment.

It's ironic because this is exactly my point. We can't be healthy (or even exist) without a healthy planet. So, yes, I can see where they are not "separate".

And, you bring up a good point on funds distribution. I'm not sure what the answer is. But, I do believe that our emissions, pollutants, water conservation, etc. should be regulated by government. It's clear that if we leave it to market forces of supply and demand, we're headed towards disaster. People consume and often they consume vast amounts more than they need, at least in this country (this statement can even apply to the obesity epidemic that you've mentioned). There's not one system that comes to my mind that doesn't require some kind of management or intervention. How can you expect lack of management to apply to the condition of something on as large a scale as the entire planet, so far as the health of it is concerned?

6. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Feb 22 2007, 11:36 PM) [snapback]395028[/snapback]</div>
    My post was written before I read the apology, apology accepted. I apologize as well for getting frustrated, but the attitudes a lot of you out there have about things like this are frustrating...to a lot of people.

And no, realizing you're a girl I probably wouldn't have popped you one ;)

7. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Feb 23 2007, 11:30 PM) [snapback]395619[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you. Sometimes I can go through a whole series of posts and not realize that an unintended tone exists. My bad. I'm glad you ended up seeing my apology.

8. swl

swl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Feb 18 2007, 11:03 AM) [snapback]392359[/snapback]</div>
    Hello Delta Flyer, first and foremost I would like to thank you for all the hits you are providing to my site, second im going to warn you for the last time that your treading on libel by making false accusations against me on this forum and in others. If you feel you have a beef with my site, by all means discuse it in a FACTUAL way, but your blantent attempts to slander me is getting tiresome.

9. Susanne101

Susanne101 New Member

If you don't have anything nice to say.......................say it somewhere else. That post made no sense anyway.

PRIUS LOVER !

10. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(swl @ Mar 3 2007, 12:25 PM) [snapback]399530[/snapback]</div>
    swl - the webmaster of www.hondasucks.ca really lowers himself by gratious hacking my non-automotive site - I'm sure your employer would be happy to know that's what you do on the clock. I'd long stopped mentioning about you, but instead you went after me and all hybrids on GH for 2-3 months, then my pet site. I'm at a loss to figure how repeating your own accounts of racing your Insight up a mountain at 85mpg and getting 41mpg in a vehicle that many get over 60mpg with few troubles is slander. If repeating your own accounts is slander, then you are saying you were not honest?

Over a year ago, I'd agreed to not mention you, then you attacked me anyway. :blink:

If you make the unprecedended move to leave me and my site alone, your will get the same respect, effective today.