1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good Source for a New Brake Actuator?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ebikeman, Apr 6, 2024.

1. ebikeman

ebikeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I am looking to order a new brake actuator online.

One site that comes up is a place called, toyotapartsdeal.com. They have an actuator for $1,202. Only takes a couple days to get to me.
    Someone asked a question if you get the resistor with it (picture doesn't show it) and they answereed there is no resistor associated on a Prius.

Calling them about ordering, asking a question, they contradicted their website. Asking feather, they where kind of rude and short.

Another place is called, Toyota parts factory. They where very nice, friendly, they come with a resistor for $1,329. I found this place is a website that deals with a bunch of dealers all over the place. They get the best price and pull from dealers under them.

Another place is called, Toyota Parts center. Exploring the website looks very good. They have the part for $1,134.

The place is actually called, Olathe Toyota Parts Center.

Has anyone ever ordered from any of these places?

Thank you,
    ebm

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The factory original Toyota part in a Toyota box will come with the resistor It is a set so if these other Toyota places whoever they are if they are affiliated with Toyota and they can show you a box that this assembly comes in the resistor goes with it I've bought a few of them and had a few of them delivered to me and they all came with resistors some get installed some don't just depends on what the customer wants to do I've got four or five resistors laying in the shop still in the bag because a lot of people just say don't fool with it whatever I can't really see what the big issue is with the resistor or how it would go bad or any of that but I guess anything in this world is possible but this is a real Toyota part generally I don't think there's any aftermarket coverage for this part so it's generally going to have to come from Toyota or somebody that bought out a Toyota dealer that got a few of these from their stock etc I mean I don't think there's a warehouse with a bunch of these sitting in it that's going to get bought up by whoever and if that happens bottom will fall out and they'll be $800 apparently Toyota is still making these or the company that makes these four Toyota.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That's a Toyota dealer in Olathe, Kansas.

They have a parts department like every other Toyota dealership. The difference is that this one spent the money to develop an online presence and hire a service/fulfillment team so they sell and ship lots of parts to the public.

In theory any dealership parts counter could have done that, right? Well this is one that did.

I've only bought a few minor odds and ends from them. They're legit.

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  4. highmilesgarage

highmilesgarage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Olathe Toyota Parts is a good one, bought from them a long time ago. Even though I'm just 45 mins away from them, I can only buy parts online and ship it. It seems store policy not to do over the counter purchase from their online store. Toyota dealers have some strange policies like can't buy a part from them using Lexus part # (even though it's a Toyota) you need to find that part using diagrams from a similar car (like Lexus gx470 with a 4runner or sequoia)

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well here in North Carolina with Rick Hendrick we don't have any of those problems I don't think If they can see the part number or whatever I can order it online have it sent to the store get the discount and all of that and they have like 14 stores in my area or 14 dealerships something like that within a four city area here I've never had any problems generally speaking ordering online getting the discount and have it sent to any one of the stores they have depending upon where I'm going to be on the time everything's ready for pickup I've never heard about the Lexus and the Toyota part numbers in the Scion part numbers and any of that I don't think that's a problem with Rick Hendrick but one of these days I guess I'll get to find out.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I think also these antics may be regional We don't do things like that here in North Carolina generally speaking That's because people here won't accept that nonsense I think so some of our business practices are somewhat forward-thinking if you want to look at it like that hard to believe I know but.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    IDK if anyone mentioned it or not, but all new Gen 2 brake actuators come with a new resistor in the box. The resistor can be changed by reaching up from under the dash. It helps to remove the leftmost dash vent for a better view. There's some videos on youtube. Every resistor I've seen has been stamped with the same resistance value, so replacement is more or less up to whether you want to do it. If I install a new one for a customer, I install the new resistor. If I install a used actuator I keep the already installed resistor. Never had a problem yet.

part # 44535-47050 193.6 milli-ohms.

Tombukt2 likes this.