1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Goodbye snow tires...

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Blauer Glimmer, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Blauer Glimmer

Blauer Glimmer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ... Welcome back round trip commute in EV only!
    OK, so it's still cool enough here that I can't do the faster route with more highway, but I'll take the slower path until weather conditions permit all EV at higher speeds. The guess-o-meter said 30.7 today! First time I've seen that number since October.
    Now, fingers crossed that April snows don't come this way.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Reading between the lines: the rolling resistance on the snow tires was higher enough that you ran out of EV range? What were they?

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I swapped my snow tires 10 days ago a bit too prematurely. Had 5 inches of snow the day before yesterday. Additional couple inches this morning. I had to drive our SUV for my commute. :(

IMG_20190410_061415-EFFECTS.jpg

4. Blauer Glimmer

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think they're Michelin, but it wasn't merely the tires that destroyed range. It was a deadly combination of snow tires, subfreezing temps, judicious use of seat & steering wheel heaters, and needing to use the defroster (or, at minimum, heat directed to the windshield) that took my EV miles from the low 30's to the low 20's. The topography of my commute is somewhat hilly, and any uphill climb in EV at subfreezing temps uses up lots of electric power that can't be made up on the downhill pieces of road.

That's what I'm afraid of :cautious:

#4 Blauer Glimmer, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2019
    Mendel Leisk and Salamander_King like this.
  5. We got more here today...

Put it all in a box that says From Canada and then in big letters, RETURN TO SENDER :mad:

benagi and Salamander_King like this.
  6. Blauer Glimmer

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I usually wait until the end of April to be safe given this area of NY's tendency to return to wintry weather in mid-April, but I'm taking a 600-mile road trip this weekend and wanted to optimize mileage/minimize road noise. I'm headed southeast of here, so there shouldn't be any snowy surprises.

Salamander_King likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't forget the considerable drag of the various water forms (liquid, solid, powdery) piled up on the road too. That extra resistance considerably saps MPG too, compared to clear dry roads.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    March was sunny, fairly warm, barely rained. It's raining a bejeesus so far this April, was hailing a few minutes ago. (n)