1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Goodyear Fuel Max tires installed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by drees, Sep 10, 2010.

1. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    After 40k+ miles on the stock Goodyear Integrities they were just about down to the wear bars with the shoulders wearing a bit faster so it was time for new tires.

FWIW - I never had any real complaints about the OEM tires like many others. I found them to be a good tire.

I almost always get tires from the local Discount Tire as they have a decent selection of tires and pretty good customer service. They do tend to push you to buy the replacement policy insurance, but IMO it's not a bad deal if you can get them to reduce the price which they usually do and you are spending $100+ per tire.

I did have an issue with one of the tires - one of them appeared to have a noticeable flat spot that you could feel at neighborhood speeds. Discount Tire identified and replaced the tire without issue - said it's very, very rare that something like that happens.

So far fuel economy seems to be the same (have driven about 500 miles on them already) or even a tiny bit better than the well worn OEM tires so they are living up to their name. Hopefully they'll improve a bit more as they break in.

Ride is smoother than the OEM tires and they are quieter, but IMO I'd prefer them to be a bit stiffer - but you can't really complain since they are not exactly a performance tire!

Anyway, I'd get them again - was looking at the Ecopia EP100 but those seem to wear out a bit quicker than the Fuel Max and the Michelin Energy Saver A/S is a good bit more expensive ($133/ea compared to $98/ea for the Fuel Max).

4 people like this.
  2. jdmckay

jdmckay New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got the Wal-Mart Goodyear Fuel Max tires installed today. My tires on my 08 were shot just like yours, but much worse. I didn't realize that on the inside of the tires, not visible unless you got on your hands and knees and looked under the car, the cords were showing!
    I liked my old tires and never had any issues. They were done for at about 40k.
    I saw the tires that you got. I went with the Wal-Mart ones because they are essentially across the street from my work and I thought it'd be easy to get them done and put on and get to and from my car. I'll let you know how they go. Mine were $89 each.