1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Goodyear Integrity Mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tideland Prius, Oct 21, 2006.

?
  1. 5000-9999 miles

3.9%
  2. 10,000-14,999 miles

2.0%
  3. 15,000-19,999 miles

2.6%
  4. 20,000-24,999 miles

13.7%
  5. 25,000-29,999 miles

13.1%
  6. 30,000-34,999 miles

15.0%
  7. 35,000-39,999 miles

9.2%
  8. 40,000+ miles

40.5%
  1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wondering what's the average wear mileage on these tyres. This does NOT apply if you changed your tyre prematurely. However, it isn't a formal poll either since everyone has their own definition of 'worn out and need to replace.' Nevertheless, let's start voting!

I'm currently at 36,000kms but the tyres are starting to wear and starting to slip on damp surfaces.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My OEM Goodyear Integrity tires (185/65R15) were badly worn at the outer edges and began to hydroplane easily so I replaced them at 45,000 miles. I had increased the air pressure to 42/40 PSI early in their life which I believe was a factor in preventing earlier tread wear.

The new tires (Michelin MXV4+, LRR and also 185/65R15) significantly improved the handling of my 2004 Prius, increased my MPG (particularly in cold weather) and after 25,000 more miles are wearing well. They should last somewhat longer than the Goodyears before needing replacement.

JeffD

Added 11/11/2008 - My MXV4+ tires were replaced at 55k miles of use in Nov, 2007. They still had a little more life, but winter approached (They improved MPG by about 1% over the Integrity tires, mostly in cold weather). The Nokian WRs that are now on my Prius are at 36k miles and have adequate tread remaining for this winter. The Nokians are producing even better MPG than the MXV4+ (about 3% better)

3. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'll have to get back to you later on this question. I have 39,000 miles on the original tires, and still have plenty of tread.

4. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I changed mine at just over 40K miles with some useable tread left (not down to the wear bars), but I didn't want to go another winter with them. Even though you're technically not absolutely 'required' to change tires before they hit the wear bars, they lose a LOT of wet/snow capability a fair bit before you hit that point.

If I lived in Arizona I could have gotten 50K Plus out of them easily. Even wear across all of them and no problems with any feathering/cupping.

One of the things I've seen on other Prii in parking lots is the left front, or left side tires wearing out prematurely, and outer edge wear.

If you don't have them inflated enough you'll wear the outer edges, and if you don't rotate across the car as part of your pattern, the left side will wear noticeably faster than the right. If you never rotate, you left front tire will go first by a long margin.

5. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Oct 21 2006, 09:51 AM) [snapback]336066[/snapback]</div>
    The manual says to rotate swapping front and back, keeping them on the same side, so I've been doing that. Likewise for my neighbor's 2004 RAV4. My '00 Tundra shows rotating tires the "crossing" method. So how do you all rotate tires?

6. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< I follow the recommendations in the Owner's Manual.

7. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Oct 21 2006, 12:21 PM) [snapback]336097[/snapback]</div>
    Likewise for me as I posted, and I don't know that I would be especially heartbroken if I didn't get 50K out of the Integrities... But if folks are seeing a lot of premature wear on the left tires, then Mrs. Octet would surely notice and take that as a sign that my diet plan is not working.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, well I'm nowhere close to anyone who posted here lol. I haven't done the penny test but just looking at it, I think it's safe to say it'll fail.

I've rotated them every 10,000 miles and pressure was at 37/35 now they're bumped to 38/36.

9. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 21 2006, 04:16 PM) [snapback]336158[/snapback]</div>

I don't think mine are going to be around much longer. They have 5500 miles and they look OK, but I get a lot of wheel spin when starting up on wet roads. Also, the VSC engages a lot on even minor bumps during the rain. I'm currently running with tire pressures of 40/38. Wheelspin was less when I ran at 33 all around, but that cost 4 MPG.

IMHO these are second rate tires - not worthy of a car of this cost and quality level.

UPDATE!

I bit the bullet and dumped the Integrity's. Went to Costco and bought 4 Michelin 195/60/15 MXV4's. With the $60.00 instant rebate the set came to $400.00 before sales tax.

First impressions:

Although hard to tell because of the dropping air temps, I don't seem to be taking a MPH hit.

Handling seems to be more sure-footed - which I expected.

Tires are definitely quieter.

Speedo accuracy is a little worse than the Integrity's. The Integrity's were 0.4 - 0.5 high at 60 MPH. The MXV4's are about 1.4 -1.5 MPH off at the same speed. It's hard to get a really accurate figure because the speedo rounds off to a whole number and the GPS shows speed to tenths of a MPH.

More info when I have some decent mileage on them.

10. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm at 40,500 miles and have been doing rotations every 10,000 miles. Not much canyon running, but sometimes moderate cornerings. Rear tires very close to bald...this is dangerous, don't do it!

11. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Oct 23 2006, 06:08 PM) [snapback]337037[/snapback]</div>
    I've always heard the shallower the tread, the better the cornering power. Unless it rains.

I always put the worst tires on the front, whether the car is FWD or RWD. Nothing like the rear end breaking loose in a corner for creating some driving excitement.

12. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have done nearly 20k since Jan 12, 06. The tires look almost like new. Some minor rounding at the edges. I run about 35/30 psi, but I'm not good about rotating. I did it at 9,000 after having a nail induced leak repaired. I plan to do it any day now, just haven,t gotton around to it. I expect to see at least 40,000 at this rate of wear. They're not the best tires I've had, just to lazy to do anything about them. On my Subaru Impreza, I changed from the stock Bridgestone RE92 to Goodyear Eagles at 10,000 miles. RE92 is much worse than the Goodyears. I have 75,000 on the Eagles, including about a dozen auto-xs.

13. theorist

theorist Member

My prius only got 19 miles out of the Integrities.

I had rented a Prius enough to decide that I'd had enough of those tires before I bought a Prius. The first place I drove my Prius was from the dealer to a tire shop a mile away to replace the tires.

14. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Just got rid of my Integrity tires after about 35,000 miles (I use snow tires in the winter) and replaced them with Bridgestone RE960AS all season tires. What a difference in handling! I noticed that the Integritys were pretty prone to hydroplaning and were noisy, but they did last a while.

15. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jerry P @ Oct 27 2006, 05:04 PM) [snapback]339614[/snapback]</div>
    Great upgrade! :D

I've wanted to know how the new Potenza RE 960AS Pole Position tires are on a Prius, especially with regards to rolling resistance and fuel efficiency. Can you share a review after you've driven these a few thousand miles?

16. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Be glad to...and it won't take long since I average over 20,000 miles per year. I plan to leave them on until the first 'big' snow here.

17. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Mine probably had another 5k of tread left in them, but I got a flat that required replacement. Too bad this was a couple months before I discovered PC, so I didn't get Comfortreds. I don't remember what I got, actually. I do know they came from Sam's Club.

18. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Oct 21 2006, 10:00 AM) [snapback]336077[/snapback]</div>
    That's strange. I had always heard that radial tires (which I would assume are used on an '00 Tundra) should only be rotated on the same side and never crossed. Something about the inner steel threads wearing in a specific direction because of the radial design, and when the tire is turned around to the other side in a crossing rotation, it presents the possibility of stressing the threads to the point of eventually breaking and the tire coming apart. Whether this actually ever happens, I don't know.

This wasn't a consideration with old, bias-ply tires so cross-rotating them wasn't a problem.

19. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Nov 4 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]343735[/snapback]</div>
    I'd always heard that too, but that's what it has in the owner's manual. So I think it varies by manufacturer. My pre-Prius Volvo called for criss-crossing, and my Honda CRX said keep them on the same side. Googling turns up lots of articles, I guess because like oil changes, it's one of the few things you can still do yourself... No concensus on whether crossing or same side is better, though. Lots of warning about dire things happening in your criss-cross them, and yet other articles claiming that the same-side thing is a myth and that criss crossing results in more even wear. In the absence of anything else, I follow the owner's manual. No dire results with the Tundra I can see, the original Dunlops went about 25K and the Michelin X's have about 40K on them and are holding up well, although they do seem to need balancing about once a year or so.

20. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm at just over 69,000 miles, and about ready to replace my second set of Integrities. I believe the first set was replaced at 34220 with not much tread left. Replacement reason, however, was due to an object puncturing one tire at the sidewall, and having plugs in the others. There was minimal tread left at the time.

I'm in a similar situation now. 1 tire is at the wear bars. The other 3 all have small leaks that I've plugged but never gotten around to having patched and don't have much tread left. Both fronts feel as if they have flat spots (never re-balanced, though don't feel off at speeds up to 80mph). I'm seriously considering if I want to upgrade this time around or keep the same type.

34-35,000 miles seems to be my average on these tires. I do corner somewhat hard (I'll be considering touring for my next Prius), so some of my wear is shoulder wear. My pressures are maintained at or close to 42/40.

Haven't yet settled one one specific tire. I'm not much for a MPG hit, but I do want a tire that has the potential of lasting longer while providing better traction. Sam's Club seems to offer the best prices on tires in general once Road Hazard and installation is considered. That does, unfortunately, limit my selection somewhat. They also have an "Allegra" tire by Goodyear that they market exclusively. Does anyone have experience w/ that tire?