1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Goodyear Integrity Mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tideland Prius, Oct 21, 2006.

?
  1. 5000-9999 miles

3.9%
  2. 10,000-14,999 miles

2.0%
  3. 15,000-19,999 miles

2.6%
  4. 20,000-24,999 miles

13.7%
  5. 25,000-29,999 miles

13.1%
  6. 30,000-34,999 miles

15.0%
  7. 35,000-39,999 miles

9.2%
  8. 40,000+ miles

40.5%
  1. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    UPDATE!

I bit the bullet and dumped the Integrity's. Went to Costco and bought 4 Michelin 195/60/15 MXV4's. With the $60.00 instant rebate the set came to $400.00 before sales tax.

First impressions:

Although hard to tell because of the dropping air temps, I don't seem to be taking a MPH hit.

Handling seems to be more sure-footed - which I expected.

Tires are definitely quieter.

Speedo accuracy is a little worse than the Integrity's. The Integrity's were 0.4 - 0.5 high at 60 MPH. The MXV4's are about 1.4 -1.5 MPH off at the same speed. It's hard to get a really accurate figure because the speedo rounds off to a whole number and the GPS shows speed to tenths of a MPH.

More info when I have some decent mileage on them.

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Nov 4 2006, 06:25 AM) [snapback]343735[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. I had been told that for years, in fact ever since I bought my first set of radials back in the 60s. Last year I called three tire dealers and ask what their policy was. They all said essentially the same thing, we cross from side to side now. They could not tell me if it was due to a change in tires or if the concept was wrong all along. I suspect the latter.

BTW I replaced my Integritys at 15K miles and they had very little wear, I wish I remembered the numbers. Anyway the tire store gave me a pretty fair trade in on them. I think they would have gone 35K or 40K and I'm not usually very easy on tires, plus the rear alignment was out of spec for the entire 15K miles they were on the car.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Nov 4 2006, 07:58 AM) [snapback]343762[/snapback]</div>
    I assume it's the MXV4 Plus? There's also the MXV4 S8 (OEM on the Cdn TCH)

I just took the Prius out on the highway when it was pouring rain yesterday. At 85km/h, they seem to be ok. There wasn't any sign of slipping or slight hydroplaning. (We got close to 100mm of rain in some areas and it's still raining today). Maybe I do have a bit more life out of these tyres.

4. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm at 43.5K miles on the original Integrity's. I estimate I have about 5K miles left before they are down to the wear-bars. Tires have been rotated every 6K to 7.5K miles (when I get the oil changed at the dealership). I typically run the tires at 38/36 (Front/Rear) psi. Tire wear appears to be mostly even. One thing to note is that I had to replace the left front tire at about 26K miles due to a screw puncture that couldn't be patched. So the left side of the car hasn't had the tires rotated since that time (about 10 months ago). I continue to have the right side rotated as normal. My driving is a mixture of 60% highway and 40% city typically.

I will definitely be looking at better tires when it comes time to replace the Integrity's.

5. TorontoSusan

TorontoSusan New Member

10K. The distance it took to get from the dealership to the tire store. Replaced them the first week I got them - Michelin Harmony

6. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TorontoSusan @ Nov 9 2006, 04:56 PM) [snapback]346650[/snapback]</div>
    I hope that was 10KM. If not you must have bought it in Tokyo.

7. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My tires rotate every time I drive so I don't worry about it :D

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They didn't wear out; I replaced them to keep from killing myself on snowy roads!

Tom

9. Lake Superior

Lake Superior New Member

I've got 25,000 km on my 2005 Prius, but only half of that is on the Integrities. I run Blizzak's for six months in the winter. (Hard to tell if there is a mileage hit because of the cold weather when mileage always decreases. However, in -20 C temperatures my worst weeks of driving in winter were in the 5.7 litres per 100 km range; best in summer is 4.5)
    I'd posted earlier about drifting left after the steering recall. That must have just been a coincidence, because the problem turned out to be tires and was solved yesterday by the dealer. The front tires (Integrity) are badly worn on the outside edge, one tire worse than the other. Once they were moved to the rear, no more drift!
    Dealer says Toyota won't help with premature wear of the Integrities on a Prius, even though Toyota has a program to replace Integrity tires that have failed early on Corollas (subject of a Notice to Dealers on Nov. 11 a year ago in Canada).
    So, I'm switching to the Blizzaks next week and will probably trade in the Integrities for a credit on new Michelins.
    I notice some people buying wider tires than our original size. What's your advice?
    All the best,
    John

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    update: 40,000kms and still going. One tyre replaced due to a nail in the sidewall. The guy at the Goodyear Store said they should last 80,000kms. Looking at my tread, I find that hard to believe but sure, we'll see how it turns out.

11. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 20 2006, 11:29 PM) [snapback]336023[/snapback]</div>
    I don't consider changing tires due to safety concerns "premature". Toyota should be ashamed of installing these tires on an otherwise fine car. Ours were at 5100 miles when we had them yanked off and replaced with ComforTreds.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rfred @ Jan 14 2007, 10:14 PM) [snapback]375743[/snapback]</div>
    Well, this poll isn't about safety. I just wanted to know the average life of this tyre, that's all.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I just changed out my Integritys at 68,000km/42,500miles.

Never thought I'd reach the last poll option in my poll lol but I made it past 40,000 miles somehow. The edges were bald as heck and the middle probably has 3/32nds since the wear bars are quite close to the tip of the tread blocks.

14. Kaos1

Kaos1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've got 50k on my Integrities and there is still plenty of tread depth. Never liked them due to their slippery nature on wet roads. ESC comes on easily when roads are damp and I don't accelerate hard, a gentle driver. Hydroplaned last week at 65MPH and was not to happy about that. They always drifted across the lane in cross winds and when a semi passed be prepared to counter steer to avoid being pushed off of the road.

With winter coming on and it is time to upgrade. Almost anything would be better than the Integrity in regards to safety in my opinion.

Rolling resistance figures are hard to find on most tires and this is one important criteria for fuel economy.

15. A. B. Hair

A. B. Hair New Member

Rural area called Powdersville, 10 miles out of Gr
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am ready (about) toget new tires at 29000. Have plemty of tread but some wet weather slipage. I need a recomendation from folks who have had experience. I am fond of Mitchlen but not hung up on any brand. Thanks

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You just might be the person with the highest mileage on their stock Integrity!

17. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just did the 40000 mile service - the OEM tires look still good with a bit under 7/32 thread and even wear.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    7/32nds?!?! That's not even half the tread!!

Where you travel, on the smooth highway??

dang!

19. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not too disatisfied with the Integrity tires so far. I keep seeing so many posts regarding decreased milage with other tires that I may just buy another set of stockers when the time comes. :)

20. pillowsplat1

pillowsplat1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OEM Tires

OK here is my story. 29,000 miles.
    1st 3-4" snow in Maryland last week.
    1st one of the year. So I needed to relearn snow driving skills. I got my Prius in late Feb of 07 so I did not get any real test of the Prius in snow.
    Since it was the 1st snow there was nothing on the road (grit or salt). The snow was fine powder not diamond dust and not super wet. Snowballs were not happening. I would consider the tread to be sufficient at least 1/4" over the top of the wear bar. I was coming out of the best handling winter car known to mankind the Subaru Outback. I spent years as the Zamboni driver in a hockey rink so I understand ice driving. Not to say I don't slide around just relaying info.
    Evidently the Integrity's are designed to help the manufactures hit their MPG #'s via the amount of silica they use in their tires. This silica content reduces rolling resistance and the unagressive tread pattern is designed to be quiet.
    Try as I might I could not control the wheel spin on takeoffs and turning. I was truly scared I was going to ditch this car. I didn't.
    However I did order a new set of tires. I have close to a million miles of driving in my life I have purcahsed Michlens, Goodyear, Falkins, Bridgestones. One of the things I was happy about was the price of the Prius tires. Heck I spend more on my bicycle tires.
    My purchase was based on a few things. I currently use a product by Continental for my bicycle it has a dual silica compound and they are great. The Michlen Hydroedge and Goodyear Triple treads were expensive. I found some General Tire Altimax tires at a resonable price from tire rack. Evidently Continental purchased General Tire so we shall see. I would suggest if you know of a inexperienced driver on these GY integrities I would get them on a more agressive tire for bad weather. They do not inspire much confidence. You really need to be on top of your game to pilot these tires sucessfully.