1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Google/apple map direction voiceless

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BubbleDogs, Feb 25, 2017.

1. BubbleDogs

BubbleDogs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just moved several states away, and my 2012 Prius v has just arrived! But I guess I will need to change the region to use the GPS. So as an emergency measure, I had to use my iPhone to navigate in this new home city, which is still very new. When I used the google map/apple map direction on my iPhone on the rented car (iPhone was not connected to anything) yesterday, the direction was given to me very clearly with voice command.

When I used them in my Prius (again iPhone was not connected with wire, but my iPhone is paired with its Bluetooth,) the voice command was absent both in Google map and Apple map. I looked Priuschat up, and there was the similar question. One person posted to make sure to set the Google map setting to "play voice over Bluetooth." That was already on.

Any advice is appreciated!

2. Cave Arnold

Cave Arnold Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I used google maps navigation with traffic and voice directions paired with bluetooth on my 2014 PiP all the time. The only two things I can think of is to check Google settings when paired and make sure normal sound (shown below in blue) icon is highlighted and not the mute or alerts only icon. That is all I can think of for the google navigation app. The next thing would be to test the bluetooth pairing by playing any music or sound file on the iPhone while paired and make sure you hear something. I have found that sound volume from a bluetooth source are normally more muted and so I need to increase the volume to hear at the same as a direct connection.
    IMG_2619.PNG

3. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I had to set audio input to BT (Bluetooth) to hear android cell phone google maps voice directions on my 2012 Prius ATP.

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    GPS resets to 'local' and source set to BT Audio is required to have audio driving directions.

5. Mmavroidi

Mmavroidi New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have the same issue with my husband's Galaxy S9 phone. When it connects to his 2012 Prius, he hears phone calls through the car speakers, but does not hear the turn by turn directions from Google Maps. If I am in the car, I can use my Galaxy Note 4 on speakerphone and the directions are loud and clear. He can't use speakerphone on the S4, because Bluetooth mutes all sounds even though it isn't carrying the Google Maps sounds.

6. BoltonJoe

BoltonJoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Anybody having trouble getting Google Maps voice from an iPhone onto Prius speakers ? I've synched my phone to my BT on the Prius (2017 Gen. 4), and when I connect the phone, I cannot get the voice to work. If I don't plug the iPhone into the car, I can hear directions from the phone's little speaker--but it drains the phone battery on a long trip. I suspect it's a fault of a recent iOS upgrade! Any suggestions?

7. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

We hear Ms. Waze’s voice via BT using an iPhone 8 Plus on the 2012 Prius v Five’s audio system.

We no longer can hear (TTV) or reply (VTT) to text messages however, which we could do with Windows 7, 8, 10 Mobile.

8. icyrius

icyrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This is a bug in Toyota’s system. I have the same issue with my iPhone.

Air_Boss likes this.
  9. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The irony is that supposedly, iPhone is compatible with Entune, while Windows Mobile never was. Go figure.

10. Steven R

Steven R New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2018, how do I change this? Thanks.

11. Steven R

Steven R New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A workaround, I guess. I can't get the iPhone maps sound into my car over bluetooth, but when I plug the iPhone into the USB jack in the car, and then run the maps app on the iPhone, the sound comes through in the car system. Not a solution, but a usable workaround I think.

The bad news, though, is that then I can't listen to music (radio, CD) at the same time, because I have to select USB as the input.

Can anyone help with this. I just want to use the Maps app on my iPhone and have the sound come via bliuetooth through the car system. And listen to music (radio, CD) at the same time ;-)

#11 Steven R, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019