1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Google Earth can give you an elevation profile of a route between 2 points!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, Nov 28, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can't believe I didn't know about this. Sometimes when we talk about FE and ask about elevation change, it seemed like it was pretty much a guessing game except when there are visibly obvious hills w/o some sort of mapping app/tool/site or a GPS unit that logs and displays an elevation profile.

Well, I just learned from My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - South San Jose to Santa Cruz and back on a single charge, Google Earth has it built in.
    A screenshot of the profile is at Elevation Profile - Google Earth Help.

I just tried it out in the app and it works great! It also confirmed my suspicion about this one expressway having a gradual downhill slope when I go in a certain direction. When I go in that direction, I seem to get much better iMPG values than in the opposite.

In doing some digging, it appears some Priuschatters knew about this and have posted about this feature in threads that I wouldn't ever bother reading...

steveoknievo, minkus, fuzzy1 and 3 others like this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    During my time on a 'broadband' connection too slow for Google Earth, I used a different application: Bike Ride Planner

minkus likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    [​IMG]

You gain 101 feet in 156 miles from Eden, MS to Walls, MS