1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Google Maps audio lost when selecting alternate audio source

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Mike Ray-Jones, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Mike Ray-Jones

Mike Ray-Jones New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    I am a newbie here; apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I couldn't find a similar topic.

I have the 4th-gen Prius and the latest Touch2Go firmware. I prefer to use Google Maps on my mobile (a Samsung Galaxy S10) rather than the Toyota navigation system. This works well, with one exception: I find I have to leave the Touch2Go Media option set to Bluetooth, rather than selecting (for instance) FM or DAB, if I want to continue to hear the turn-by-turn instructioons from Google Maps.

I'm surprised that the system doesn't appear to allow the instructions (from the Bluetooth source) to break through & mute the radio... but wouldn't be surprised if I'm simply doing something wrong.

I'd be very grateful for advice on how to solve the problem; alternatively, is there a better system to use which *does* mute the radio?

2. nobodytrickedme

nobodytrickedme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I was having the same issue- I can't remember where I saw it here on PriusChat but I think the answer is here..

I have a 2019 XLE without Nav.

I need to tinker with it some more to get the volume etc exactly right but try this:

If you connect your phone to bluetooth it gives you the option to use it as a phone, a media player or both. Turn off the media player, but leave the phone connectivity. Then tell google maps to give you directions.... it should start speaking from the phone as if you were in any other vehicle but you'll still be able to use the phone hands free to send or receive phone calls.

I also read somewhere on Priuschat that the 2020-2021 Toyotas no longer have this problem. Something about the system updates fixed this issue.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Old thread with no answers.
    I suspect it is because the system is not designed to do what you want.......in ANY vehicle.
    That is, one audio source will not "break in" or over-ride another one that is active.
    Except for a built-in integrated GPS.

The solution is: Turn the volume up on the phone and place it where it is easy to hear.
    And/or turn your music down. :)