1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Google Maps Scavenger Hunt

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by boulder_bum, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I knew from the look of that picture that it was a scale model, not real, and not CG. Pretty amazing that it's big enough to show up on Google Maps though. It's the miniature airport at the Madurodam miniature city in the Netherlands.

Some things that tell me it's a model:
    * Not enough space for those jets to back out from the terminal
    * Colors too even and clean to be large scale
    * Extremely large humans walking around the perimeter of the image on extremely large sidewalks :)

It's actually kinda hard to see in detail on Google Maps, so anyone playing this game would be well advised to install Google Earth. It's free, and easy, and you can get a lot more detail, and a lot more searchable info based on other users' input.

Kow, nice spin on the aviation theme that has been prevalent. I think you won the "airports" category :D

New image forthcoming...

2. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok... Here's a new one. Wildkow's airport was a bit of a red herring, so let's see if I can match his style. The red herring in this image is not the boats, or the water.

This will probably be easy, but don't quote me on that.

[attachmentid=9274]

Attached Files:

3. ohershey

ohershey New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jun 28 2007, 06:15 AM) [snapback]469327[/snapback]</div>
    ARGHH!! Now that's just EVIL!!! I KNEW it had to be the Amsterdam airport - but a scale model?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jun 28 2007, 06:15 AM) [snapback]469327[/snapback]</div>
    Umm.. Yeah. And Kow has been sitting here laughing, thinking "Can't they see the giant humans?"

Kow - You, sir, are an evil, evil person.

4. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mad Hatter @ Jun 28 2007, 09:12 AM) [snapback]469448[/snapback]</div>
    After many bloody Priuschat jousts with Kow I can personally vouch for Kow being evil only to the 5th power and will vigorously defend him against genuine disparagement, so count your adjectives carefully. Anyway, he's not half so evil as damned clever with that toy airport.

What's amazing is no matter how bizarre or obscure some of these landmarks have been, they've always been found by someone - truly, there's nowhere left to hide on this filed, stamped, briefed, debriefed and microscopically examined ball of rock.

MB

5. ohershey

ohershey New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 28 2007, 10:53 AM) [snapback]469515[/snapback]</div>
    Nothing but respect from me on this one - while he got me good, it was fair. Evil, but fair. While I find myself on pretty much the opposite end of many political arguments from Kow, I do TRY not to be personal, and this isn't even a political argument. ;)

6. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No guesses yet? More hints would probably make it TOO easy, so how about this; I'll post a second, and anyone who gets either one gets credit.

This one is essentially the equivalent of a snipe hunt:

[attachmentid=9290]

Attached Files:

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jun 28 2007, 01:31 PM) [snapback]469545[/snapback]</div>
    Google Earth image of a model of Kow's new house?! :eek:

8. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ha ha! Close. You're sort of on the right track. Let me add a hint for both in the interest of not stalling the game. The hints will just be new emphases added to the previous hints, since both are Kow-style pranks ;) :

1. The red herring in the image is not the "water or the boats."

2. It's essentially the equivalent of a "snipe hunt."

9. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jun 28 2007, 02:57 PM) [snapback]469613[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm, that hint didn't add much. For #2 I have no idea. Searching for that location would be a snipe hunt, IMO. #1 I was thinking the obvious - it could be the HQ of Red Herring, the online company from the UK, but that didn't match (it could very easily be an English location, with the red roofs and roundabout). There is also a Red Herring clothing company but that didn't pan out.

10. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    >Now that's just EVIL!!!

yeah, wow. got me good ;)

11. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hmmm, it's been 15 hours and nary a serious guess.

Time for some clues we can use!

MB

12. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK, let's make this easy. Nerfer has it almost exactly, for #1, especially the "red herring" and "UK" parts.

For #2, I'm afraid I've sent you on a wild goose chase.

If that doesn't do it, my next hint will be to post two links ;)

13. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mad Hatter @ Jun 28 2007, 09:12 AM) [snapback]469448[/snapback]</div>
    MoooHAhaHAhHAaHAhAahAHA!

Wildkow

p.s. Geeeeez, sat down to check out PC and got nothing but calls. Couldn't even finish the MoooHAhaHAhAHA before I had to post it unfinished and answer the phone. Now I got to go again and I can't even do any searching, sigh! <_<

14. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mad Hatter @ Jun 29 2007, 04:30 PM) [snapback]470280[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. Unfortunately I'd already hit the top ones. Also, it is not:
    Red Herring
    6 Old Brompton Road,
    South Kensington
    London
    SW7 3DL

I also checked a couple villages involved in herring production, including kippered red herring, but I don't have the list here.

15. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Keep in mind these are clones of Kow's miniature city "prank" - so simply finding some heretofore unknown factory that happens to have the name "Red Herring" is following the wrong track, I think. An airport terminal is distinctive, has natural landmark elements - these images are bland as used toothpaste - no towers, no architectural attractions, nothing geologically interesting - it's very hard to tell WHAT about them is the key attribute we should be focusing on. The first one is also supposed to be "easy" - although I'm beginning to think the definition of "easy" being used here is one I've not been previously aware of (to paraphrase Douglas Adams).

The top image has got a small boat lock and a weir that was built after the railroad bridge (else they'd've built the rail line & bridge on the weir & saved construction costs) - that combined with the UK being "confirmed" as the locale could aid a search conducted along the lines of "Locks on Thames" which I tried and got a list of the 60 or so locks on that river - but the Thames is probably the wrong river because that's an awfully tiny lock and the Thames is used for serious freight commerce.

Those are my thoughts for whatever small help they might provide -

MB

16. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We may have to enact a stumper policy. Say if a day goes by and no one gets the answer, someone can call "stumped" and post a new pic.

17. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Jeez... I didn't think we'd need a stumper policy, as I really, honestly, and in all good faith, thought this would be easy... So, in a last ditch effort to not be the first jerk to post an un-solvable image, I'll post a final "hint" (answer) and then let the game move on.

First off, let me just say, you're all over-thinking it. Both answers have exactly as much to do with the images as "Fred's Pancake House" had to do with its overhead shot (e.g. you can't find it by looking for it, but you CAN find it by searching for it.)

I don't blame you for not going after the one I admitted was a "wild goose chase" but as for the red herring one, few red herrings will ever lead you as directly to the solution as this one...

:( I'm a bad person.

18. mgundel

mgundel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jun 30 2007, 08:01 AM) [snapback]470546[/snapback]</div>
    The complex on the left side of the image appears to be a Country Club which led me to an unsuccessful search of Herring related country clubs, yacht clubs, mansions, etc. I think it's the right track, but just not the right wording of the search yet.

19. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    All right... I guess my maps and my clues sucked. As penance, here's an image that I think someone should be able to identify:

[attachmentid=9325]

Attached Files: