1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Google Maps Scavenger Hunt

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by boulder_bum, Jun 3, 2007.

1. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jun 30 2007, 03:00 PM) [snapback]470736[/snapback]</div>
    Wow!

Flatworld!!

This oughta show those "round" earthers a thing or two!

MB
    Spokesman and Head Flack for
    The Earth Is Flat As A Fred's Pancake Society

2. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jun 30 2007, 03:00 PM) [snapback]470736[/snapback]</div>
    I checked with a recent high-school graduate and they were able to tell me with 100% certainty that those are the Hawaiian Islands.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok Ichabod, how about a link and name for your unsolved post...

4. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Rather than a link, I'll tell you how to find them:

1. With your map roughly positioned over the UK, and zoomed out enough that you can see most/all of it, search for "red herring" with or without quotes. It should be the #1 result.

2. With your map zoomed to about the level of my most recent picture (the one correctly identified as "Flatworld," or as I like to call it, "Flatland") do a search for "wild goose chase." If it doesn't go straight there, then zoom into Australia and try again.

3. Zoom out. If you can't spot ALMOST THE ENTIRE EARTH, then this one really isn't my fault.

Now can you blame me for thinking those would be easy? Now I'm the only person to lose at this game so far :(

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jun 30 2007, 06:53 PM) [snapback]470827[/snapback]</div>
    Yes.
    [Hey, you asked.] ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jun 30 2007, 06:53 PM) [snapback]470827[/snapback]</div>
    Lose? Or did you mean "lose interest"? :(

6. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You should be ashamed of yourself if you can recognize this:

Attached Files:

7. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My first impulse is that it's the junkyard where the EV1 was crushed or something, but I wasn't able to find it yet.

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ Jun 30 2007, 11:26 PM) [snapback]470937[/snapback]</div>
    GM Proving Grounds Mesa, AZ. But that's not it. :p

Wildkow

9. fjef

fjef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Its the Kit Kat (or Chicken) Ranch in Nevada - I've never been so I'm not ashamed...
    [​IMG]

I need a few minutes to find something else to post.

10. fjef

fjef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    [​IMG]

A movie made this place famous

11. ohershey

ohershey New Member

Ichabod- I know for a fact that I tried that search on the UK. Apparently not zoomed exactly right, since I can get it now. Oh well. It was a worthy post, even if we failed.

12. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fjef @ Jul 1 2007, 06:36 AM) [snapback]470981[/snapback]</div>
    My first guess was correct (amazingly): James Bond Island, Phang Nga Bay, near Phuket, Thailand - but without that clue this would have been impossible. The Bond flick starred Roger Moore vs The Man With The Golden Gun, and that microscopic fragment of rock in the upper "bay" is a mushroom shaped monolith that in the movie housed a solar energy collector of exotic design.

I'm gonna donate the next landmark to any player WHO HAS NOT YET PUT ONE UP - but if there are no takers in that category by 5:00AM Pacific time then it's a free for all for whomever can get one up on the board firstest.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

13. fjef

fjef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jul 2 2007, 02:43 PM) [snapback]471358[/snapback]</div>
    Well done, Mark - I didn't need to post any Bond clues. This area is a beautiful part of the world by boat or even just to fly over when on the Bangkok-Phuket flight...

14. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I tried that search from many zoom levels in and around that area, and always came up with that location. Maybe I'm using a different Google than you.

Anyway, I owe everyone a good location that can actually be found, so I'll take the free spot with this one.

The left side looks pretty alive, and the right looks pretty dead, but the dead and the living are in closer proximity than it would appear in this image (I left the compass visible so you can see how I rotated the view):

[attachmentid=9372]

Attached Files:

• city.jpg
      city.jpg
      File size:
      112.2 KB
      Views:
  15. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jul 2 2007, 07:55 AM) [snapback]471438[/snapback]</div>
    My problem is I don't have Google Earth downloaded. Last I checked it was PC-only, and I don't want to install it on my work computer. Maybe that's changed, I haven't checked for awhile. So my searches weren't showing the same results, apparently.

For the existing image, apparently the left side is a cemetary, given the hints, but which one? Right side looks middle-eastern, maybe Israel (famous cemetaries around there, for sure), but would they have that much green lawn? OTOH, some Mediterranean cemetaries use a lot of concrete, so maybe the right side is the cemetary...?

16. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I did my searches on Google Maps, not Google Earth, so there :p

This new one can also be found and clearly seen in Google Maps. And no, the left side is not a cemetary. If the right side is a cemetary, it's like a city-sized one!

17. ohershey

ohershey New Member

It's the City of the Dead (Qarafa) in Cairo, Egypt.

Here's another marina. The hint: It's not on a continent.
    [attachmentid=9390]

Attached Files:

18. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jul 2 2007, 04:12 PM) [snapback]471780[/snapback]</div>
    By golly, you're right, it did work! I did a regular google search, not search in maps while the whole country was visible. I'll have to use that technique more often. Otherwise I could be frustrating people now, instead of vice versa.

19. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Earlier, we had two images going at a time, and since this one has sat for 24 hours with nary a guess, I'm going to post another to keep this going. (Besides, I was darn close with the Red Herring one, if I had just used the google search engine like Ichabod did).

People talk about the Sudbury nickel mine, this is a denuded landscape that drivers of American cars have contributed to. There's also a link to a bus company here, but that's more obscure.

[attachmentid=9409]

(Maybe the next image should be something more patriotic, in honor of the 4th?)

Attached Files:

20. ohershey

ohershey New Member

Hmm... How long SHOULD you go before posting additional hints?