1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Google Maps Scavenger Hunt

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by boulder_bum, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You're definitely smoking crack! I searched using Google Maps, not Google... and I still get the right location when I do that search again. Obviously if nobody can even duplicate what I think is a simple search, then the whole world must be crazy! You're all crazy!

2. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mad Hatter @ Jul 3 2007, 04:06 PM) [snapback]472568[/snapback]</div>
    I believe the correct interval is 4 hours, 23 minutes, 41 and 16/357ths of a second, and if this space of time is not adhered to precisely, your landmark becomes forfeit and will be bulldozed to become a Wal-Mart.

MB

3. ohershey

ohershey New Member

Well, in that case, some clues:

These words can be used in a sentence with the place name. The result is true, though very off color and probably innapropriate.

1. Paris
    2. Gave

4. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jul 3 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]472571[/snapback]</div>
    I think you misunderstood. I did a regular google search when I wasn't successful, when I searched like you (google maps, with UK visible), it came right up. So we're not crazy, it just seems like we are. :p

5. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jul 3 2007, 07:37 PM) [snapback]472632[/snapback]</div>
    In that case I better give another hint for my landscape. (I was busy with the 4th. Rode my unicycle in the local parade with a prairie restoration group).

A well-known bus company was founded here, supposedly because the town was built over valuable deposits, so they moved the town. Thus, people had to be transported to their workplace. This whole area should be forested, but many square miles have been dug up, sifted thru, carted off, repiled in long ziggurat-style hills. This town was also mentioned by name in a Kevin Costner movie, and a hardly-understandable musician was born here. So that should definitely make it easy to find now.

6. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jul 4 2007, 09:48 PM) [snapback]473320[/snapback]</div>
    Yup, that was the giveaway clue to Greyhound Bus Lines founding town of Hibbing, Minnesota.

That leaves that circular marina whose name paired with "Gave" and "Paris" forms some sort of expletive on an island or isthmus or distant planet. The Hatter is truly mad.

Meanwile I'll dredge the earth for another landmark ...

MB

7. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Let's try this out with no clues first ---

[attachmentid=9428]

Attached Files:

8. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jul 5 2007, 12:24 AM) [snapback]473340[/snapback]</div>
    That's Ayer's Rock, mate. (Although I think it's gone back to its Aboriginal name officially)
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...c=addr&om=1

Here's something American themed, for the Fourth of July:
    My dad served on this in the Korean War

[attachmentid=9429]

Attached Files:

9. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jul 5 2007, 12:05 AM) [snapback]473331[/snapback]</div>
    Hibbing is mentioned, and a couple scenes take place in Field of Dreams. Bob Dylan was born there. It's part of the Mesabi Iron Ore Range, which has produced thousands of tons of steel over the decades (now down to a less-pure compound called taconite).
    That's gotta be Hilton Head, but I'll be darned if I can find a marina that looks like that there, and it's much too late to be spending time staring bleary-eyed into the screen.

10. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jul 5 2007, 01:11 AM) [snapback]473359[/snapback]</div>
    Here it is.Nice job Nerfer .I searched google and it said Paris Hilton gave some guy crabs . I was way off looking for Crab Marina.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&...p;z=16&om=1

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jul 4 2007, 11:01 PM) [snapback]473357[/snapback]</div>
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...p;z=17&om=1

USS Yorktown at Patriot's Point Naval and Maritime Museum

I cheated, I googled for "aircraft carrier", "museum", and "tomcat", since I can see an F-14 at the stern, and I guessed that only a small percentage of aircraft carriers that are now museums would have an F-14 on display.

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    USS Yorktown (CV-10)
    Charleston, SC
    http://maps.google.com/maps?t=k&ie=UTF...p;z=16&om=1

[hey, if you are going to post an image of a "boat" with it's bow number (in this case "10") . . . it's going to be veeeeerrrrrryyyy easy to track down. ;) ]

Do Oh!!!
    Beat by 12 minutes . . . and I even looked! <_<

13. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Priusenvy, you didn't cheat, you searched creatively. And SPE, it's funny that PE beat you to it. :p

14. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jul 5 2007, 02:07 AM) [snapback]473365[/snapback]</div>
    Admittedly, I don't know much about naval ships...but I can't see the bow number even after you mention it! There's a 10 somewhere visible on the ship?

And by the way....we've solved both pictures, but the solvers haven't posted new pictures yet

15. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I couldn't see the bow number either, and wasn't sure where to look for it... I see it now that he mentions it, but it would still be a challenge for me, non-naval-non-aeronautics-type to know a "10" that I can barely make out would lead me to the right answer. There's no wrong way to win! :D

16. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, since no one has posted anything I'll try to keep the game going with another airstrip (well, whadja expect from an airport kid ;) ) ---

"Fate Is The Hunter" author Ernest K. Gann knew this airstrip by the name it had in early WWII.

[attachmentid=9440]

Attached Files:

17. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jul 5 2007, 02:22 PM) [snapback]473604[/snapback]</div>
    Based on the fjord & glacier, I was thinking Alaska, Norway, Russia, Canada, Greenland or Chile. If it was used in WWII, it's probably not Chile. That still leaves a lot of land available. Might be time to start reading...

18. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This strip is famous in certain aviation circles - it's has nowhere near the obscurity of some other strips that have been planted here.

The coarseness of the image is due to Googlemaps inability to zoom in very close - the image is heavily cropped and then enlarged.

That should help ---

19. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Alright, one more clue and if that doesn't get this gasping game running again we might as well shut off the gas and close it down ---

Being able to pound the %#@! out of the WWII Axis in Europe with thousand plane raids of Seattle built bombers would have been impossible without this airstrip.

20. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The reference to Boeing and Gann had me looking at San Juan Island WA, but can't find any resemblance yet. Am I close? Right time zone???