1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Google Maps Scavenger Hunt

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by boulder_bum, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulccullen @ Jun 4 2007, 07:19 AM) [snapback]454912[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmmmm, I can't find "Link to this page" I'm using version 4.1.7087.5048 (beta) which version are you using?

Anyway that's the Parthenon, in Athens Greece. Was there just 2-3 years ago otherwise I would have no clue, nice pick.

[attachmentid=8525]

At the Parthenon with my Sweetie . . .

[attachmentid=8526]

Here's mine . . .

[attachmentid=8527]

The actual area is within the yellow box. I learned how to swim there as a young boy I don't remember which pool it was though. The Pool just to the right of the center of the yellow box seems small to me now or it maybe the one up and to the right of the upper right corner of the yellow box. This maybe part of the area or it may not it was 45 years ago BTW. My father a Master Sargent in the US Army worked there. It used to belong to the US State Department.

Wilkdow

Attached Files:

2. harrv

harrv Member

They're getting harder.

3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(harrv @ Jun 4 2007, 04:08 PM) [snapback]455186[/snapback]</div>
    I'm guessing an embassy someplace. State Department (formerly), Army seargents present and their kids could use the facilities. More trees than the surrounding city. And he's not using maps.google.com, so I hope it's a site we can find on google as well, if it is someplace overseas. Roofs look rather American though, it's not Germany for instance. He lives in California now, but since he's an Army brat, this could be anywhere.

4. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jun 4 2007, 05:20 PM) [snapback]455237[/snapback]</div>
    I was thinking the same thing. I assume that oval is a racetrack of some sort. I was trying to think of and embassy next to a racetrack, but nothing jumped to mind.

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I was thinking the US Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs . . . but the images don't match.

We need more hints. There is absolutely nothing distinctive about that image.

6. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jun 4 2007, 08:49 PM) [snapback]455378[/snapback]</div>
    It looks like a track field to the upper-right of the yellow box with an upper deck in the stands, but the center field isn't gridded out for a football field, don't really see soccer outline either. And there's a similar sized field to the right, pretty green grass, can't be too dry of a place. Tall building, short shadow at the bottom, either a late morning picture in the summer or closer to the equator (most aerial shots are taken during spring/fall when leaves are mostly down, at least in the upper latitudes).

While we're waiting for hints, here's something a little more fun:

[attachmentid=8531]

Attached Files:

7. Screaming Red

Screaming Red Two Pri Wannabe

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    ...Not a clue, but it's a wonderful image.

8. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 4 2007, 01:35 PM) [snapback]455158[/snapback]</div>
    Hey Wildkow: Google maps (http://maps.google.com/) has the "Link to this page" link on the top right. However, I see from your pics, and from the version you mention above, that you're using Google Earth, not Google Maps.

I don't know how to get a link for a location in Google Earth (which IMHO is the coolest thing since bread-slicing software) B)

- Paul (arrived in Denver).

9. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jun 4 2007, 08:24 PM) [snapback]455447[/snapback]</div>
    It's the happiest place on earth (Disneyland CA)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...p;z=19&om=1

But still no clue on Wildkow's pic. I guess this thread is now multi-threaded. :D

Here's my pic:

[attachmentid=8534]

Attached Files:

10. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulccullen @ Jun 4 2007, 09:00 PM) [snapback]455467[/snapback]</div>
    DOH!! So stupid, had a rough day yesterday. :huh:

Yours is the Opera House in Sydney Australia

and a hint . . .

It shares borders with 7 different countries
    A top religious leader ok'd transexual operations.
    Skiing is a major pass time in the mountainous regions of this country.

[attachmentid=8536]

Good Luck

Wildkow

p.s. Nerfer and Danny Hamilton are warm.

Attached Files:

11. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Still a tough one. It's a US Embassy, so it's not in the US. That leaves only a few hundred other countries to consider... (WildKow: Am I warm?)

12. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    While we're all scouring the planet in search of Wildkow's sandblasted embassy, here's an extra credit landmark. Amazingly, when you ask Google maps how to reach this landmark from a small town like, say, Roswell, New Mexico, it says it hasn't plotted that routing yet, although that gap in its information bank may be filled soon, but from Florida rather than from New Mexico (go figure) ;)

[attachmentid=8537]

Attached Files:

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    OK, Wildkow's second hint made it too easy. The former US Embassy in Tehran, Iran.

Someone is "Mickey Mousing" around with adding pictures before they have guessed the previous picture. ;)

Here is my official new image.
    No hints yet.

[attachmentid=8540]

Attached Files:

14. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That picture is so generic it could be any of several hundred radioactive places on the planet, but I took a wild guess and found its exact match at Three Mile Island

That gives my extra credit post some "legitimacy" I suppose, but there is a reason I called it "extra credit" and it wasn't intended to be a link in the game, but as a fun bon mot for those who recognize it.

I'll go find a proper landmark and post it up.

MB

15. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

TMI is correct! Generic yes, but the most famous of them all. I guess I could have done an image of Rancho Seco, but the idea of the game isn't to stump everyone, forever.
    :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 4 2007, 10:18 PM) [snapback]455505[/snapback]</div>
    I knew Google Earth was good . . . but I didn't know they have come out with Google Mars! :eek:

Yep, that would be Olympus Mons. :)

16. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jun 4 2007, 10:37 PM) [snapback]455518[/snapback]</div>
    Gah! Yeppers, some fond memories of that ol' Embassy. ;) I didn't think anyone in a million years would guess that the Old Grand Poohbah would OK transsexual operations. Blast I thought for sure it would throw you off. Nice going.

Another Gah!! This Scavenger hunt has now moved out into the Solar System?!? BaHAhaHAhaHaHaHaHAahAHa! i LOVE IT!

[attachmentid=8542]

Wildkow. . .

Attached Files:

17. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    OK, here's a legitimate landmark. It's not too far away from a more famous but considerably less picturesque landmark (the kind of landmark that would stand out on Google Maps, but would go entirely unnoticed if you drove by it without knowing it was there). This landmark, on the other hand, you couldn't miss seeing even from twenty miles away. Bonus points if you identify both this and the more famous nondescript one in the vicinty.

[attachmentid=8541]

Attached Files:

18. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  19. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 5 2007, 01:49 AM) [snapback]455529[/snapback]</div>
    Looks like a volcano, but I certainly don't recognize which one. I'll poke around in a couple of hours and see if I can identify it if nobody else has yet by then.

20. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Jun 5 2007, 07:33 AM) [snapback]455645[/snapback]</div>
    I almost like Sufferin's guesses better than the actual landmarks - very good guesses!

Yes, it is (or was) a volcano.

I first encountered this landmark while aloft and was struck by the geologic oddity of the three large ridge spines radiating out from it like miles long spokes (that should be a hint as I believe these ridges are a unique geologic feature). I circled it for over an hour taking roll after roll of pictures in the low light of late afternoon (another set of negatives I've got to get transferred to digital soon -I took them in 1991).

MB