1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Google Maps Scavenger Hunt

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by boulder_bum, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 5 2007, 11:47 AM) [snapback]455748[/snapback]</div>
    I've checked most that I could think of on google maps, and none match up with the image posted. Hopefully someone will come up with it soon, so we can continue with this entertaining game. I'll search some more tonight if there aren't any results.

I noticed the ridges in the image originally, but as hints go that just isn't triggering anything for me. There are several active, dormant, and extinct volcanoes that have various ridges caused by erosion. None come right to mind as standing out as matching the image.

2. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Jun 5 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]456038[/snapback]</div>
    To keep the game going here are a few more hints:

The most famous, largest, and perhaps most spectacular geologic landmark on the earth's surface is in this landmark's "neighborhood" - if one is generous about how much landmass constitutes a "neighborhood".

The nondescript companion landmark I mentioned is about thirty miles northwest of this landmark (and is much better known).

I'll eliminate from your consideration the following locales:

Chicago

Paris

Asia

That should speed things up I hope. :)

MB

3. Danny Hamilton

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 5 2007, 06:58 PM) [snapback]456108[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, that last set of hints was just what I needed. The "most famous, largest, etc." is the Grand Canyon. . . .

Your image is:

Shiprock
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=36....p;z=15&om=1

And the nearby landmark is:

Four Corners
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=37....p;z=12&om=1

Here's mine:

[attachmentid=8567]

Seeing as this could be just about any bridge over a river in the world, I'm including a hint that indicates why this bridge is somewhat famous. I'm trying to keep it entertaining and a bit of a puzzle while being neither too easy nor ridiculously difficult.

Filmed in this location: E.B. made this bridge famous when he decided to cross it Hazzard County style to prove to his previously incarcerated "brother" the effectiveness of the 1974 Dodge Monaco 440 he recently purchased from Mount Prospect.

Attached Files:

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Danny Hamilton

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 5 2007, 11:51 PM) [snapback]456329[/snapback]</div>
    Too Easy. . . .

If you are going to use "Google Earth" instead of "Google Maps", make sure you trim the GPS coordinates off the bottom of the image before you post it.

I'll leave it to someone else to enter the coordinates into google maps and post the answer along with a new image. I don't have a new one ready yet.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ha, I cheated before many got the chance to see the coordinates...

7. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Off the top of my head, Evan, I'd say leaving the latitude and longitude on the picture would be a pretty broad hint, but that's just my opinion. If they're a false lead, the picture at their location at Machu Picchu, Peru looks eerily identical to yours! :)

I've already put two landmarks up in this game, so I'll donate the next one to whomever first wants to post one that hasn't had a chance yet.

MB

8. Danny Hamilton

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 6 2007, 12:15 AM) [snapback]456341[/snapback]</div>
    Apparently not fast enough. Airport kid got it too. Go ahead and post another one to keep this game going. I'm finding this rather fun.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 6 2007, 12:17 AM) [snapback]456344[/snapback]</div>
    Argh....I'll take another shot since I mucked up the first one.....
    same continent

10. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The lighthouse on Isla de los Estados

And this one is.....

Attached Files:

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(robincx @ Jun 5 2007, 11:10 PM) [snapback]456364[/snapback]</div>
    BaHaHahahHAHaHAhHahHAHAhHAHAaaa I just can't do it! :p :lol:

BTW Nice trim job! :)

Wildkow

p.s. Playing this game makes me feel small and insignifcant sometimes but still leaves me with a sense of awe.

p.p.s. Nice one airportkid, I spent two hours on that last night when I should have been studying.

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(robincx @ Jun 6 2007, 01:10 AM) [snapback]456364[/snapback]</div>
    BZZZZZ....
    Your answer to my post is NOT correct.
    And you're supposed to provide a link to the google maps page where you found it.

13. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 6 2007, 06:37 AM) [snapback]456474[/snapback]</div>
    This one is: the statue at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    That was a good one, Doc, although your same continent hint made it my first guess. But the "rogue" answer threw me off so I didn't bother to check up on it until I saw your BZZZZ post.

Again, I'll donate the next landmark to someone who hasn't had a chance to post one up yet.

MB

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 6 2007, 10:31 AM) [snapback]456552[/snapback]</div>
    I'm giving you partial credit. You have the correct link/location, but the wrong landmark. The picture is actually Sugar Loaf Mountain.

You're thinking of the Corcovado....
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...&iwloc=addr

Ok, I have one more in reserve:
    Should be pretty easy so no clues.

15. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Been there, climbed that (and I mean with ropes up the side).

It's Half Dome in Yosemite.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http%3A%2F%2...017896&z=16

Ironically, I visited the park with its massive towers to climb a famous boulder "problem" in Camp 4 called "Midnight Lightning".

This one should be easy, but...

Hint: It powers sin.

Attached Files:

• Ps.JPG
      Ps.JPG
      File size:
      45 KB
      Views:
  16. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hey you guys what about this one!?!

17. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 6 2007, 09:25 AM) [snapback]456596[/snapback]</div>
    I think it got disqualified because its poster didn't follow the rules. Of course, neither did I with the Olympus Mons gag, but that was a gag.

Anyway, wherever that marina is, it's nowhere on the SoCal coast that I could see, and I can't see anything distinctive about it - it's probably a famous resort in the Caribbean or the Mediterranean somewhere but I ran out of time to fly the satellite along coastlines until I found it.

MB

18. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ Jun 6 2007, 09:16 AM) [snapback]456585[/snapback]</div>
    That is I believe a portion of Lake Mead coastline, near the town of Boulder City, Nevada, and famous for its scenic overlooks. Interestingly, less than 100 years ago the lake's coastline at this point was so different as to be unrecognizable from its appearance today - for one thing the lake's depth back then was a lot shallower, so shallow that most locals at the time thought of it less as a lake than as a river. This lake will in another 10,00 years or so become a vast meadow (the fate of all river fed lakes eventually) - which is good because all those square miles of flat land will be needed for the inevitable expansion of the nearby sin city.

OK, here's a landmark so world famous a five year old would recognize it.

[attachmentid=8582]

Hint: There is nothing wrong with your computer monitor screen.

One of the odd things about this landmark is that its peculiar geography is such that no known navigational measuring instrument: GPS, sextant, etc. can pinpoint its longitude with any precision, although its exact latitude can be determined to the nearest billionth of a second of arc.

MB

Attached Files:

19. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ Jun 6 2007, 09:16 AM) [snapback]456585[/snapback]</div>
    Finally one easy enough for me. Hoover Dam.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...c=addr&om=1

I should have prepared this ahead of time, hope no one posts the answer while I'm composing this message.

[​IMG]

Shadows should give this away.

Crap, too slow.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 6 2007, 11:46 AM) [snapback]456693[/snapback]</div>
    South Pole?

20. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 6 2007, 11:46 AM)</div>
    Obviously, the North Pole.

Here you go:

[attachmentid=8585]
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jun 6 2007, 12:08 PM)</div>
    This one I have no idea.

Attached Files: