1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Google Maps Scavenger Hunt

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by boulder_bum, Jun 3, 2007.

1. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Toups @ Jul 31 2007, 01:57 PM) [snapback]488286[/snapback]</div>
    If I understand that correctly, you can get anything from a Bacheolor's degree to Doctorate without leaving the building, but isn't that true of most universities?

I tried "university riverbank campus" in Google and wound up in Saskatchewan without a jacket - good thing Googlemaps has excellent heating - but no match.

The fact that the river is (apparently) rapid should be a clue but I just don't know enough about universities to try to track down every campus that might be on a river, even a fast river.

How much is cabfare from the airport? $5 or $50? That kind of clue won't give the game away but might help narrow down the list of candidate cities.

Better would be knowing the school's approximate rank on the prestige index. Between Harvard and Miss Delmar's East Tinyburg Vocational School For Irredeemable Youths, where would this one rank? (hopefully a long way from Miss Delmar but you get the idea).

MB

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jul 31 2007, 08:40 PM) [snapback]488426[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure that's a river. Could be waves from the ocean, although the break pattern is a bit odd. Given that they're in Boston, I tried looking at Tufts, Harvard, Brown, even Yale, etc. but to no avail. A problem with most of those is the east coast tends to have the ocean to the east, not west, and this picture is obviously not rotated. The curved walkway over the road is a pretty unique feature, but a quick scan of google hits didn't help me much. And it's definitely bedtime.

3. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to see my own searching is on the same track as the more seasoned players... ;)

Toups... I say time for another hint!

4. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChristoB @ Aug 1 2007, 07:28 AM) [snapback]488557[/snapback]</div>
    Well, the water pictured is not an ocean. Think about the locations we have done in the past. You may be able to guess what state we originate from.........

(Toups is a fairly common name in our state of origin)

From our home state, following a single route, one can arrive at the campus pictured.

Another hint, we once went through a 100 degree (F) temperature differential between getting on the plane in this location, and getting off in our home state.

Mrs. Toups

5. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Attached Files:

• GC.JPG
      GC.JPG
      File size:
      125.1 KB
      Views:
  6. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChristoB @ Aug 1 2007, 07:38 AM) [snapback]488604[/snapback]</div>
    Dadblast! I just spotted the Minnesota campus at the same time! And now you've posted another item I immediately recognized (and I'm an atheist)! Well, I should be working anyhow. :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Toups @ Aug 1 2007, 06:53 AM) [snapback]488584[/snapback]</div>
    That was notable only in that the differential was merely 100 degrees, on a day when the weather in Minnesota was relatively mild. All the other times the differential was probably much greater! :p

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    OK, I'm a little further away than airportkid, so I'll take this one with a clear conscious: :)

THE ANSWER IS: Grace Cathedral, San Francisco
    Or were you referring to Huntington Park? :huh: Naah, gotta be The Grace.
    For those who have not been there; across the park is the Fairmont and Mark Hopkins hotels.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...p;z=18&om=1
    After clicking on the above link, click the "Street View" tab, then click on the little orange guy. When the image comes up, click on the right arrow until you pass the cable car, then click and drag the image from left to right to see Grace Cathedral. Then go for a tour around the block and see the Fairmont and Mark Hopkins. This area of San Francisco has some very nice views as it is on top of a hill.

New image:
    Oh God! Not another airport. :angry:
    Promise . . . my last.

Hint: Even though this is a real place, with real, full sized airplanes, and in the scale shown, you absolutely would NOT want to land here. EVEN IN AN EMERGENCY! Your day could get much bleaker real quick.
    [attachmentid=10304]

Attached Files:

8. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow... you ain't kidding!
    I gather this is Naval Target Area Baker 17, SE of Fallon? My link is for Fallon, but I found your site to the SE, with that distinctive V shape. No emergency could prompt me to want to land there!
    http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navcl...sa=N&tab=wl

here's mine (hopefully not a repeat):
    [attachmentid=10306]

Attached Files:

• KCB.JPG
      KCB.JPG
      File size:
      58 KB
      Views:
  9. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Toups @ Aug 1 2007, 08:53 AM) [snapback]488584[/snapback]</div>
    Apparently I haven't been paying attention. I was thinking Maine, as I remember a couple posts from there and that could potentially have 100' differentials. But U of M? I graduated from UMD, had some friends at the main university, but didn't get the link at all. Or think the Mississippi was fast enough for those waves, but the campus does span both sides of the river.

Growing up in the northern part of the state, I remember temperature swings of 70 degrees in two or three days sometimes (usually in early spring). And for the record, I don't know any Toups in my part of the state. But it's a big state, north to south.

Current image I'm not getting either.

10. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChristoB @ Aug 1 2007, 12:47 PM) [snapback]488783[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, you are right.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&q=...p;z=18&om=1

I did a couple of Air Wing workups at Fallon back in the late 70s. Had a tour of the Electronic Warfare Range (just north across Highway 50). We planned it for a day when they were dropping live 250 - 1,000 lb ordinance. Even from the observation area near Highway 50, the concussions still rattled my nerves.
    Of course the place has changed greatly since I were there. There was no life-size mock-up of a military airfield like they have now. And I can guarantee the electronic warfare range has vastly improved in capabilities.

11. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChristoB @ Aug 1 2007, 03:47 PM) [snapback]488783[/snapback]</div>
    Try the bridge at Chappaquiddick. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...p;z=16&om=1

Give me a minute to find something.

Found it. 25 were built and 8 are still in existence. But don't bother looking for 2 of them since they are inside. (Unlike some airplanes from WWII where 1000's were built and 1 or none still exist.

[attachmentid=10311]

P.S. Nerfer, we are originally from Louisiana. We did our undergraduate degrees at LSU. We boarded a plane in MSP at -26 F and landed in Baton Rouge at 74 F (after changing planes in MEM.)

Attached Files:

12. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Toups @ Aug 1 2007, 06:11 PM) [snapback]488923[/snapback]</div>
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&...p;z=18&om=1
    Your clues were too good.4-8-8-4 Big Boy Locomotive
    Holliday Park ,Cheyenne, Wyoming

Ye shall find...[attachmentid=10313]

Attached Files:

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Aug 1 2007, 07:08 PM) [snapback]488942[/snapback]</div>
    Another repeat...the google complex.

14. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 1 2007, 07:16 PM) [snapback]488947[/snapback]</div>
    You all are way ahead of me.
    Hold on.[attachmentid=10314]

Attached Files:

15. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Aug 1 2007, 05:23 PM) [snapback]488954[/snapback]</div>
    Here it is: Paoha Island, east of the Sierra Range in California. The lake is Mono Lake, near another fascinating landmark, the dead Silver boom town of Bodie.

On March 31, sometime in the 20th century, the beginning of a big boo-boo happened here.

[attachmentid=10315]

Attached Files:

16. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Aug 1 2007, 09:24 PM) [snapback]488990[/snapback]</div>
    Belfast Ireland shipyard where the Titanic was built.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...p;z=15&om=1

Too good of a clue!

17. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  18. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Toups @ Aug 1 2007, 09:27 PM) [snapback]488991[/snapback]</div>
    Here is the new image.

[attachmentid=10316]

PS Gee, in the past, we had crossed that bridge many times. Sad story.

PPS I-35 and I-94 joined near there. The odd thing was that only 3 of the 4 possible interchanges existed. There was one direction on one such that you couldn't get to a specific direction on the other. I forget the details. In fact, I could never remember when I was there and remember having to detour to get where I wanted to go.

Attached Files:

19. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Aug 1 2007, 09:24 PM) [snapback]488990[/snapback]</div>
    Arghhh! I was going to use this site at one point. Trivia question: What movie was filmed on the shores of Mono Lake?

20. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Toups @ Aug 1 2007, 06:11 PM) [snapback]488923[/snapback]</div>
    What timing. I've been on that bridge, and had to check that my brother doesn't commute that way. Really a horrific scene there tonight. You can see on the Google imagery that 35W is 4 lanes each way, the eye-witness reports have conflicting data on that. Plus you can see it's just downstream from St. Anthony's Falls (the traditional end of the navigable portion of the Mississippi, which is partly why Mpls/St.Paul are built where they are). That means the water is moving pretty fast along there, which would definitely be a hazard to the divers.

Louisiana would explain why I haven't heard of Toups in MN. I was thinking it could be a French name, so went to the idea of Maine (Arcadian is the origin for Cajun).

So which road is that that goes straight up? I-35 goes from Dallas past the U of M to Duluth, I used to drive that when I lived in Texas. U.S. Hwy 71 goes from near Baton Rouge right past my old house to International Falls, MN (even into Canada as their Hwy 71), but it stays well west of the Twin Cities, going near my parents new house in SW MN near the giant windmill farms. In Texas I had a friend from LA, we talked about driving Hwy 71 end-to-end, he would be the tour guide on the south end, and I would be on the north end. Must be Hwy 61?