1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Google Maps Scavenger Hunt

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by boulder_bum, Jun 3, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    switching yard!! I typed "largest train switching station"...and got nothing close.

2. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Aug 9 2007, 10:46 PM) [snapback]493345[/snapback]</div>
    Found it, Grand Palace in Bangkok Thailand http://maps.google.com/maps?t=k&q=13.7...p;z=17&om=1

Try this one. It might be a bit of a trial, but I am sure someone will get it.

[attachmentid=10501]

Attached Files:

3. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Toups @ Aug 9 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]493353[/snapback]</div>
    I haven't found it yet but it's got France (or continental Europe) written all over it. It's not the main Paris station. Thought it might be Chartres (too big for Chartres) - funny, Chartres has the most magnificent of the ancient cathedrals, yet in Googlemaps the town center and cathedral are at low resolution, so low you can't even identify which blur is that enormous cathedral, yet just outside town the little Chartres glider strip comes in at such high resolution you can read the maps in the glider's cockpits (well, almost). You'd think an atheist pilot like me would approve of such cockamamie priorities, but that cathedral is unique and inspires awe to the roots of the soul whereas glider strips are eight cents a half dozen. (I tried to hire one of those gliders a few years ago to take aerial photos of the cathedral, but my party hauled me off to go watch Lance Armstrong win #6 - I'd much rather have stayed at Chartres, to be honest. You can't properly appreciate that cathedral in the confines of only one day).

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Aug 9 2007, 06:43 PM) [snapback]493319[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, SAM 27000 is a 707. It is now on display at the Reagan Library.
    27000 refers to the tail number.
    http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/38448/386.jpg

The airplane at Palm Springs was in an active flight status, on a mission with the President, but on stand-by for a quick emergency getaway if need be, so the USSSA still referred to it as Air Force One.

I had also seen an Air Force Two . . . it was the exact same 27000 aircraft. :huh:

I too have a great picture for my next entry. By shear coincidence, it happens to have an weird looking image of an airplane in flight obscuring part of the intended image location.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I may have been to that station, though many look similar, but dang if I can figure it out. I thought it was Amsterdam at first, but they have a bulding/concourse covering most of the commuter rails as do many of the major cities I've been in in Europe.

Mulling.......

6. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Aug 9 2007, 07:46 PM) [snapback]493345[/snapback]</div>
    Poking around the major cities in Europe looking for this damn RR station I found a swithcing yard that makes North Platte Nebraska look like a kid's HO set that got plundered to outfit THIS switching yard, in
    Budapest

But, alas, still no station that matches.

We might need a clue before this turns into too much of a trial and error exercise ---

MB

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had fun looking for TGVs all over the place and even found a Concorde or two, but not this place, yet. I'd vote for a hint, too. :rolleyes:

8. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Toups @ Aug 9 2007, 11:00 PM) [snapback]493353[/snapback]</div>

But I did give you a hint if you read the introduction to the image. If you rally together you might find you can take a fast train here.

If this doesn't help, I'll give another later tonight.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, for Pete's sake. It's Nuremberg! As in 'trial'. Thanks, Toups. You go ahead with another one while I figure out how to do it. I'm new to this.

edit: Here we go. [attachmentid=10525]

Attached Files:

10. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 10 2007, 08:05 PM) [snapback]493779[/snapback]</div>
    You've got it. I'm cooking dinner, so try to post. See very first post for how to. Also post link from google maps by using "link to this page tab."

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This could be addicting. Here's a railway site notable for what you can't see.[attachmentid=10524]

Attached Files:

12. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 10 2007, 05:48 PM) [snapback]493807[/snapback]</div>
    Too good a clue --- it's The French end of the Chunnel, near Calais

Trains, planes, automobiles, ships and submarines - but no roller skate landmarks. Hmmm --- must be something on that map somewhere ----

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, that was too easy. It took me longer to find it than it did to give it away. Is it your turn again, kid?

14. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 10 2007, 05:58 PM) [snapback]493810[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, but I'm snockered here in a late session at work & can't escape - go ahead & put up another landmark - It'll take me too long to get free & then go find something.

MB

15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, thanks. I found this one a little faster. It's notoriety has nothing to do with trains, planes, automobiles, ships, submarines, or roller skates.[attachmentid=10527]

Attached Files:

16. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think we're gonna need another clue - it's been more than 12 hours without a nibble. Is there anything in that picture we should focus attention on: the straight parallel tracklike traces, the small complex at upper left, the strange topography at upper right? (None of those have helped so far but knowing if they're important might help). I'm drawing a blank on notorious doings in a desert; that is, at a specific place in a desert. And what is that weird block adjacent the Google trademark at lower right? It looks like a photographic legend of some kind, not something actually there, but it's hard to tell.

MB

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I didn't mean for it to be such a struggle. The first was too easy, so I guess I'm compensating. :)

The topography and the straight lines are what's relevant in the image. The small complex and the weird block are not. The clues in my introduction are as important for what I didn't say, as what I did.

Hopefully I'll have time to check back before I go on holidays. :eek:

18. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 11 2007, 02:14 PM) [snapback]494028[/snapback]</div>
    I figured it must be a pipeline if its not tracks or road.

19. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Aug 11 2007, 07:26 PM) [snapback]494103[/snapback]</div>
    My bet for something fast is a rocket sled! But it does not appear to be the one at Holloman AFB or China Lake, but maybe I am not looking at the right things. Is there another famous one?

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    'Fast' is a relative term, but you're on the right track. I mean road. B)