1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Google Maps Scavenger Hunt

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by boulder_bum, Jun 3, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jun 6 2007, 02:08 PM) [snapback]456714[/snapback]</div>
    Petronas Towers
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...c=addr&om=1

new image coming.

Ok, this may be a bit tougher.
    New continent not yet played in this game.
    Name of the location, country and why it's famous.
    Peace and freedom all!

2. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's a stumper, Evan. It's got all the dismal attributes of a prison compound: guard towers at the corners of the perimeter and guard towers at each cell block (if that's what they are), no aesthetic adornment of any kind, lots of fences, and no visitors or signs of life.

But no famous prison or detention facility I'm aware of (or found in Google) matches up. It ain't Abu Ghraib, I don't think it's Guantanamo (your continent hint would disqualify that possibility anyway) and I can categorically prove it isn't Alcatraz (too few sailing vessels in the vicinity).

Of course if it's not a prison but the latest Club Med resort they really do need to turn on the lawn sprinklers.

Anyone else have any ideas?

MB

3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good call on it being a prison.
    " The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
    note the subtle clues in the original post as well.

4. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 6 2007, 02:46 PM) [snapback]456865[/snapback]</div>
    Ok there are 7 continents or 6 by the European method of education, North and South America combined into one. We have covered both N and S America, Australia, Europe, and Asia. So that leaves Africa and Antarctica right? His clue about Peace and Freedom should help but the only thing I could think of right off was the Peace Village in North Korea. But we have covered that continent I can’t think of anything like that in the Antarctica so therefore it has to be Africa. Right?

Wildkow

p.s. Still looking.

Edit: Nice observation airportkid any country in Africa have a famous location associated with the slogan "Peace and Freedom" or the concept?

5. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 6 2007, 06:54 PM) [snapback]457034[/snapback]</div>
    Sweet! BaHahahahahaha!

More, More, More. . .

8. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Here's mine. And a hint- one of my professors at Penn, Buckminster Fuller, was the inspiration for this structure:

Attached Files:

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 6 2007, 09:01 PM) [snapback]457044[/snapback]</div>
    Ah,no fun, too specific of a clue
    Expo67 exhibit Montreal
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...p;z=17&om=1
    back in a bit with my pic

10. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 6 2007, 07:01 PM) [snapback]457044[/snapback]</div>
    Good one. . .

It's the Bioshpere

Here's mine . . .

Image withdrawn as there are now two locations posted. . .
    It's so tall it started a war.

Wildkow

p.s. Dang, he's quick sorry efusco. OK this topic seems to be fairly popular and therefore I call for more rulez?

Awaiting your approval OP and posters. . .

1) You have to post the correct ID and a map location/pic.
    2) Got to have another location in the same post.
    3) If the pic is smaller than .5-1 mile across a hint should be included.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me leave this without a clue right now....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 6 2007, 09:23 PM) [snapback]457069[/snapback]</div>
    Typical republican, change the rules when things aren't going their way! ;) :lol:
    I'm OK with #1...I think it was in the original rules anyway.
    I'm OK with number 2 as well, even though I prefer to violate it. The thing is you either have to have a place ready to go or you do all the research, find the right place, then find a place to post and someone's beaten you to it when you get here. But I can obey that rule.
    #3 I don't like. Some small stuff (like the statue of liberty) is easy to identify w/o clues while some large things could be very difficult (see my last image) without them unless someone just get's lucky and recognizes it. i think clues should be at the discretion of the person posting the picture depending upon how difficult they think it will be...and they can be added later if folks are stumped.

12. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 6 2007, 07:35 PM) [snapback]457074[/snapback]</div>
    Hahahahahahahaha . . . The joke is on you I'm an Independent! ;)

Yeah, the last one wasn't well thought out but those were only suggestions and I don't know that they are really needed. I was just miffed that you beat me to the punch, I do think the first two should be considered, however.

Wildkow

p.s. Let me ask boulder bum and the the rest of you all, is it ok to have more than one location going at one time? It could get confusing but if one image is really, really tough it might keep those that are completely baffled interested.

13. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 6 2007, 07:49 PM) [snapback]457086[/snapback]</div>
    I would have no quarrel whatsoever with simultaneous entries from one or more posters, in fact, it would help abate the clash of multiple people getting the answer at the same time since there'd be more for people to work on at any one moment. I have to agree with Evan that clues should be at the sole discretion of the poster - the poster is really the only one who can gauge what kinds of clues would be appropriate.

I would like to relax the requirement that the guess be accompanied by a map link - my North Pole entry, for example (although done in the spirit of another gag) has no map link (at least that I could find). If one names the landmark correctly, that's sufficient proof they got the answer - why force a link?

But let's be careful, guys - if we start to clog this game up with too many rules (even the ones I suggested above) we might wreck the fun without realizing it.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

14. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ Jun 3 2007, 09:13 PM) [snapback]454703[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, so it looks like most of these rules are already covered.

Per the original rules hints are optional and at the discretion of the poster, although if someone posts a very difficult image and includes no clues and refuses to provide clues after a sufficient amount of time, they may find that we become frustrated and bored at which time someone else might just start a new series.

Accoding to the original rules the answer post needs to include 3 things:
    An identifying name of what is pictured.
    A link that can be clicked on to see the matching image in google maps.
    The next image.

So, Wildkow it sounds like you are re-iterating the original rules, not adding or expanding rules.

I think multiple images will get rather confusing as we try to figure out whose answer is for whose image and how many (and which) images we are still searching for. If you want to start a seperate series of images we should probably start a new discussion thread to keep them seperate. However, that may spread the participants a bit thin and we might find that both threads die due to lack of participation.

I reccomend having your image and clues (if any) ready and waiting (do your research now) so that when you eventually figure it out first you'll be ready to post your answer and image right away. Part of the reward for identifying an image is the right to post your own. If everyone starts posting any image they want without first solving the current one, we'll lose some of the reward and incentive for even trying to solve any.

IMHO

Of, course, I'll go along with whatever most of the posters on this thread want to do. I'm enjoying the challenge and will continue to follow this thread until either:
    a) it dies due to lack of participation
    or
    B) I get bored with it and find something new to occupy my ridiculously short attention span.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Kow, where's your picture? I've been pecking away for 45 minutes trying to find that thing...

Do I need to give a clue for mine or should we wait until tomorrow?

16. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 6 2007, 10:16 PM) [snapback]457104[/snapback]</div>
    The only issue I've noticed so far with not including a link is that, as we've already seen, when a person is sure they know what it is, but they don't match up the image in Google Maps and provide a link to prove that they took that step, they occasionally are wrong. Then they post a picture and we get multiple series going. IF this happenes enough times, we'll end up with more series going than participants.

By the way note the title of the thread is "Google Maps Scavenger Hunt" This sort of implies that if the image can't be found in Google Maps it doesn't realling belong as part of the official thread.

I certainly have enjoyed your off topic images airportkid, but it has generally been obvious that those posts were not really part of the game but rather an entertaining diversion. Any image that is intended to continue the series really should come from "Google Maps" or worst case from "Google Earth" with the understanding that a matching image should be visable in Google Maps.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 6 2007, 10:34 PM) [snapback]457117[/snapback]</div>
    It's hard to tell for certain since the scale isn't included in the image, but I think I see a water fall (some waterfalls?) and a hairpin turn in a river.

You're welcome to put up a clue if you'd like, but I'm willing to wait another 6 or 7 hours for a clue while I search for a match to what I think I see.

17. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 6 2007, 08:34 PM) [snapback]457117[/snapback]</div>
    I took it off until we could solve the two already posted. I think this topic can tolerate 2 different locations at the same time but not much more than that. In fact I think it may be a good idea. So I will wait until the one by robincx above is solved or yours and then post mine. Don't need a clue yet but if by tomorrow someone hasn't solved it we may need one. The geographic features are unique. It looks like a elevated area but I can't figure the curved the area out.

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Jun 6 2007, 08:50 PM) [snapback]457121[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed DH, now I see the water, I think. But the size disparity between the inflow and outflow of the two is throwing me off.

Wildkow

18. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 6 2007, 08:34 PM) [snapback]457117[/snapback]</div>
    No need - I found the bastard (and Googlemaps was no help at all, although the link to Iguazu Falls, Argentina/Brazil is a Googlemaps satellite photo). All Googlemaps did when told to go find Iguazu Falls was show the locations of the travel agencies in world that could book you a flight there! Useless!

Evan, if you weren't so consistently showing us pictures from your South American adventures I'd've never gotten it.

The geography of that waterfall is virtually identical to Victoria Falls on the Zambezi River between Zimbabwe and Zambia (too many Zs in all that) - a wide flat river on a plain abruptly plunging across its two mile width into a narrow abyss.

Great pick - difficult enough to slow us all down but not outrageously impossible.

Now, Robincx's marina is still unsolved - but the question is whether to allow it, since he didn't get Evan's landmark correct (and I only partially got it). I'll postpone putting up another landmark until you let me know whether I should wait for the marina solution first or not (I don't have one handy anyway).

MB

19. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Hey, I solved one a while back & posted a new image. Is anybody looking for that one? :huh:

20. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Jun 6 2007, 09:43 PM) [snapback]457152[/snapback]</div>
    Whoops - I see what happened - I thought that was some image you'd found of the actual North Pole and since it appeared as a link rather than a picture we all just passed over it without a glance.

You're right, we should figure it out before we proceed. I'll go grab it and repost it so it's visible.

MB