1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Google Maps Scavenger Hunt

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by boulder_bum, Jun 3, 2007.

1. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Toups @ Aug 18 2007, 12:17 AM) [snapback]498186[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I have the right area, but probably not the right explanation. Whoever finds the explanation can post the next site. (Unless I beat you to it!) ;)

2. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Toups @ Aug 17 2007, 11:17 PM) [snapback]498186[/snapback]</div>
    You got the easy part.What happened here is a lot bigger than a plane being shot down.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Toups @ Aug 17 2007, 11:42 PM) [snapback]498200[/snapback]</div>
    Funny ,all Americans know about this event but next to none could find it on a map.Or connect the event to a map.I dont think they teach it in public schools.

3. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Aug 18 2007, 12:49 AM) [snapback]498201[/snapback]</div>
    Well Christopher Columbus did sight and land in Cuba on his first voyage, as to where he actually landed first, that is an area of much debate with the modern San Salvador being one candidate for San Salvador. I have not been able to track exactly where he landed in Cuba, but that would be the right region.

4. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Toups @ Aug 18 2007, 12:11 AM) [snapback]498217[/snapback]</div>
    You got it.Columbus is what I was aiming for.The Cubans seem to think Columbus landed at Cayo Bariay.

5. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Aug 18 2007, 03:22 AM) [snapback]498243[/snapback]</div>
    Well, it seems to be our turn, and since dh is sleeping in, I'll go for it. I'm giving two images so that you don't have to search every city in the US to find this neighborhood, which I stumbled across while searching for a previous image. This oculd lead to a whole new field of urban planning. What would look cool on google Earth?
    [attachmentid=10729][attachmentid=10730]

Mrs. Toups

Attached Files:

6. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Toups @ Aug 18 2007, 06:06 AM) [snapback]498272[/snapback]</div>
    The heat, evidently, leaves 'em wandering in circles in Phoenix, as your neighborhood of Chandler, AZ is not the only place the architects lost their T-Squares and used their compasses instead; they went wild here, too, at Sun City, AZ in the northwest suburbs of the big hottie.

Do you suppose anyone lives here? If they did, it's a LOOOOOOOONNG way to the supermarket for groceries. And their Phoenix apparel would stay in the closet, most days.

[attachmentid=10734]

Attached Files:

7. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Do you suppose anyone lives here? If they did, it's a LOOOOOOOONNG way to the supermarket for groceries. And their Phoenix apparel would stay in the closet, most days.

[/quote]

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=-49...mp;z=8&om=1

French Southern and Antarctic Lands Terres australes et antarctiques françaises, abbreviated TAAF

or the Kerguelen Archipelago (French: commonly ÃŽles Kerguelen or Archipel de Kerguelen but officially Archipel des Kerguelen or Archipel Kerguelen), also known as Desolation Island, is a group of islands in the southern Indian Ocean. It is a territory of France.

The Kerguelen Islands are located at 49°15′S, 69°35′E, which is antipodal to the area where Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Montana meet in North America. The main island, Grande Terre, is 6,675 km² and it is surrounded by another 300 smaller islands and islets, forming an archipelago of 7,215 km². The climate is raw and chilly but not severely cold throughout the year — much like that of the outer Aleutian Islands of Alaska — with frequent high winds; and while the surrounding seas are generally rough, they remain free of ice year-round. Kerguelen has been used by a small number of science teams since 1949, with a population of fifty to one hundred always present. The "capital" is Port-aux-Français. See this link> http://maps.google.com/maps?t=k&q=-49....p;z=15&om=1
    Mrs. Toups

8. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The next one is a dividing point for two bodies of water.
    [attachmentid=10736]

Attached Files:

9. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Toups @ Aug 18 2007, 08:29 AM) [snapback]498330[/snapback]</div>
    That there's the tip of South Africa dividing the Atlantic from the Indian Oceans.

Field is open ----

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I'll give it another go.
    [attachmentid=10741]

Attached Files:

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, doesn't seem much to go on...looks European with the village/houses all lined up along the smaller road. Interesting how the main highway curves. Not seeing anything particularly distinguishing right off.

That does look like a steep flat face on that mountain...maybe a famous rock climbing wall?

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Other than the rock climbing, you're on the right track so far.

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Attached Files:

14. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Aug 18 2007, 04:32 PM) [snapback]498410[/snapback]</div>

I've searched but am not seeing it. How about a hint or at least a scale so we can figure if it is inches, 100's of feet or 100's of miles.

15. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Toups @ Aug 18 2007, 07:51 PM) [snapback]498524[/snapback]</div>
    There are several hints in the image as to the scale and orientation. You just aren't looking at it in the prober frame of mind.

16. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The one thing I noticed is that the broken regions curve in opposite directions on either side of the image, suggesting that perhaps it's zoomed far enough out to pick up the curvature of the earth. However, if that's the case, then the image may be impossible to pinpoint on Google Maps, because it doesn't have the same "globe" effect as Google Earth.

17. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ Aug 18 2007, 08:55 PM) [snapback]498544[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, it is Google Earth. You would not be able to get this perspective in Google Maps without using image manipulation software. What you are looking at is a very familiar area. It's not some obscure location off in some remote area of the earth.

18. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Aug 18 2007, 09:11 PM) [snapback]498548[/snapback]</div>
    Got it. Now that's almost as evil as Kow's toy airport - excellent pick!! It's this

Except it's been turned upside down and rendered unrecognizable:

[attachmentid=10759]

Too clever by 48%!

Alright, the aircraft carrier below is NOT putting up a show of force ---

[attachmentid=10760]

Attached Files:

19. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Alang, India
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...p;z=17&om=0
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alang

That would be the French Aircraft Carrier Clemenceau.
    http://www.toxicslink.org/focus/shipbreaki..._Violations.pdf
    [A good usage for the thing. :p ; notwithstanding the above link <_< )
    I was stationed on the USS America and we had war games with the Clemenceau. Of course we kicked its butt . . . but that didn't prevent the America from being used for target practice and scuttled off the Virgina coast. :eek:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_America_(CV-66)

NEW IMAGE:
    This is one of my favorite places on Earth, and I hope to make it back there some day. This time I promise the image is right side up . . . although many of the people who "vacation" here would tend to disagree. This is probably one of the most remote places on the Earth, yet near a large population.

[attachmentid=10761]

Attached Files:

20. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Rottnest Island

with the hurricane season heating up, this place might be in the news

you'd be thirsty here

Attached Files:

• map.JPG
      map.JPG