1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Google Maps Scavenger Hunt

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by boulder_bum, Jun 3, 2007.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a big clue in the file name of the image, revealed when you click on it.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To continue the dog theme, Bingo! :)

4. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Sep 6 2007, 07:49 PM) [snapback]508308[/snapback]</div>
    Duh! :lol:

And to think that's exactly how I unraveled earlier mysteries - :p

Gett'n senile, I am. All this map reading is making my neurons surrounded by lostness. :wacko:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 6 2007, 07:55 PM) [snapback]508311[/snapback]</div>
    That's a whoppapalooza of a resort, with valet parking for yachts - looks like something in the Vegas upper middle class rent district, but not even Vegas is going to truck in an oceanfront (at least, not yet). I don't hang out at these places - Motel 6 is splurging when I do it - so I don't recognize it, but a place that big must be lighting up somebody's radar.

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 6 2007, 07:55 PM) [snapback]508311[/snapback]</div>
    I'll let someone else post the answer. Romber got married here. And you can gamble there - most gamblers should have heard of this place.

6. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Sep 6 2007, 09:44 PM) [snapback]508401[/snapback]</div>
    I see my not having a television can be quite a handicap - I had to Google "Romber" 'cause I didn't know what it was or why it would get married. Well, now I know, but somehow I don't feel I'd ever really missed anything not knowing. I also know the answer, but I'm gonna leave it for someone else to sleuth out for once.

MB

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, you're being too nice. Shall I look up Romber, too? No cablevision here either. You don't really want another microscopic island from my collection, do you? :D

Later: Well, I should get to bed at a reasonable hour for a change. Hopefully paradise will still be there in the morning. :)

8. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    One of the frustrations I've banged up against is bad resolution at a juicy landmark. The world's largest ship, (current name Knock Nevis), a 1500' supertanker, is being used offshore in the Persian Gulf as a stationary loading barge (its fully laden draft of 81 feet makes most ports inaccessible to it - and it's too big to navigate the English Channel, let alone tiny rivulets like the Panana or Suez canals!!) Something 3/10 of a mile long would show up beautifully - if the resolution was up to it! Alas, the mighty ship is invisible, covered by an overcast of opaque Resolution Inadequate message tiles.

Similarly I thought Patrick McGoohan's old 60's "Prison" of Portmeirion would make an excellent mysterious landmark, with the pennyfarthing bicycle as a clue. Does Googlemaps reveal the gleaming green central dome of #2's control headquarters as an ominous orb midst the quaint village architecture? Hah! The entire Portmeirion area is like a Jackson Pollock painting that's been left out in the rain, a jumble of undifferentiated dull color.

Well, enough carping. It's a big planet.

Be seeing you ----

MB

9. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not the Washington Monument.

Oh, the second view helps....
    Holy See (Vatican)

This one will be hard, look high.

11. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 7 2007, 08:11 AM) [snapback]508517[/snapback]</div>
    The third/fourth is even better!

12. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Isle Del Sol ( Island of the Sun)

Isle Del Sol on Lake Titicaca. Lake Titicaca in Bolivia/Peru is the highest navigable lake in the world.

Reflection off the water meant to me it had to be middle lattitude. The nearly vertical strata made me think it must be adjacent to or in a mountainous area. Also dry climate with puffy cloud menas not in "high" latitude. Searched Tibet first, then Siberia/Mongolia. Then went to Peru and Chile. Found the island fairly quickly there, but took some reseach to find lake and island name.

Since we are on the Island theme here is one that is fairly famous.

Attached Files:

13. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bestmapman @ Sep 7 2007, 11:03 AM) [snapback]508584[/snapback]</div>
    Not following you on that one. I assume the images are taken from satellites in low orbit, not geosynchronous, so they could be above any latitude, including the poles. I also assume they're generally looking straight down, although some of the buildings appear to be leaning, so obviously that doesn't always happen.

Neat island picture, sure it's not from some modern art painting?

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW, well done BMM!! I really thought that would keep folks stumped for a longer than that. I've actually visited that Island...beautiful intriguing place.

15. bestmapman

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Sep 7 2007, 12:19 PM) [snapback]508598[/snapback]</div>
    This island picture looked as if there was a slight sun reflection and for that to happen, it needs to be in the middle latitudes as the sun never gets high enough off the horizon to give a sun reflection in the higher latitudes.

Well this island could be "modern art". If your are asking if I let my pet elephant spewed paint on a canvas, I can assure you that this is a real island chain and my pet elephant only paints on walls so this couldn't be his.

Hint: Although elephants don't roam this island other creatures do. People pay to see them.

16. bestmapman

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Since we are on the Island theme here is one that is fairly famous.

Hint: Although elephants don't roam this island other creatures do. People pay to see them.

Hint#2: Often know for bird whatching tours, a carnivore is also know to frequent the islands

17. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bestmapman @ Sep 7 2007, 01:49 PM) [snapback]508669[/snapback]</div>
    http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&t=....240234&z=8
    Sanikiluak
    I just stumbled on it.Why is the satellite image so distorted?

I'll leave it open to anyone.

18. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You'll have to find this weird ex-Soviet contraption by knowing what the CIA called it, then Googlemaps will plaster the area with location flags right where it is.

[attachmentid=11269]

Here it is in its heyday, at cruising altitude ---

[attachmentid=11270]

--- and here performing one of its design functions ---

[attachmentid=11271]

For extra credit, what is its real name, and what is the name of the type of craft?

How big is it? Bigger and heavier than a Boeing 747, but smaller than the Knock Nevis.

Attached Files:

19. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Sep 7 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]508809[/snapback]</div>
    The Caspian Sea Monster!

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=k&q=42.8...p;z=17&om=1

Back with more details shortly! Wow I didn't know this one until google helped me out!

20. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Toups @ Sep 7 2007, 09:07 PM) [snapback]508826[/snapback]</div>

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekranoplan

"The ekranoplan has a lifting power of 1,000 tonnes, among the largest ever achieved. The KM, as the Caspian Sea Monster was known in the top secret Soviet military development program, was over 100 m long (330 ft), weighed 540 tonnes fully loaded, and could travel over 400 km/h (250 mi/h), mere meters above the surface of the water."

Now I need to find something!

Here is the record holder by most standards.
    [attachmentid=11273]

Attached Files: