1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Google Maps Scavenger Hunt

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by boulder_bum, Jun 3, 2007.

1. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Toups @ Sep 8 2007, 02:44 PM) [snapback]509147[/snapback]</div>
    That's the correct area. If you zoom in on it, there are some many sand dunes it is amazing. This area is so remote that up to WW2 no country actually claimed it. If you look on old maps, the area is just left blank as to political jurisdiction.

2. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Toups @ Sep 8 2007, 02:00 PM) [snapback]509152[/snapback]</div>
    Sturgeon farm?

3. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Sep 9 2007, 12:12 AM) [snapback]509370[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm, you are at least in the right hemisphere with that comment.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys, I got an e-mail from a pilot organization I still subscribe to today asking for help searching Google Earth and some new images for Steve Faucett. I was given specific coordinates to search, but they have you download a file to Google Earth that seems to add some brand new high res images of the area where they're searching.
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/fossett/geo-eye.kml

I think the area is the part that's in black & white. Don't know if we want to do this in an organized way or just individually spend our time searching around. If you find something suspicious you're supposed to mark it with a 'push-pin'.

My coordinates are Ok, here's a better way, each of you can get your own coordinates. Click THIS LINK each time you reload the page it should give you a new plot to search (look toward the bottom of the page that loads).</span>

5. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Toups @ Sep 9 2007, 12:54 AM) [snapback]509389[/snapback]</div>
    I figure it is a boat drag strip, but can find any. The larger strip is for the races and the smaller strip for return. It also appears to be some other type of recreational facility. That's as far as a got.

Also the street name is not english.

How about some more clues.

6. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bestmapman @ Sep 9 2007, 09:54 AM) [snapback]509494[/snapback]</div>

Boat drag strip is a description that is appropriate although not in the manner you are currently thinking.

After finding out what it is, you will know why Americans are not familiar with it. For some reason, we just didn't go there.

7. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think we need a bit more to go on than a bend in a river somewhere outside the USA. I'll grant there are other clues: The river is used for commerce, commerce lucrative enough it was cost effective to build a lock to cut off the extra mileage going around the bend; the nature of the bend suggests the area is in a plain where rivers meander and form bends like that; the economy of the area must be doing pretty well in that a major roadway is under construction and its new bridge is being built for high speed, at huge expense, crossing the river at an angle rather than at the narrowest part of the channel (which would decrease the bridge expense but put tight turns in the roadway). What affluent area would value high speed road transit to that degree? None of these clues have anything to do with the mystery pond, but there they are.

But they ain't enough!

MB

(on second thought the fact that a lock is required to cut off a small bend like that actually suggests more sloping terrain, not mountainous, but not ironing board flat either).

8. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Sep 9 2007, 05:40 PM) [snapback]509710[/snapback]</div>
    When you realize what it is, you will understand. Believe it or not, it is highly connected with the invasion of Afghanistan!

Now put all of the clues together.

9. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Toups @ Sep 9 2007, 07:29 PM) [snapback]509745[/snapback]</div>
    Let's review the clues so far:

1) Writing on map.

2) Not a seaplane runway.

3) Built at huge trouble and expense.

4) Not a sturgeon farm, but right hemisphere.

5) Boat drag strip but not in the sense I think the poster meant.

6) After finding out what it is, you will know why Americans are not familiar with it. For some reason, we just didn't go there.

7) Believe it or not, it is highly connected with the invasion of Afghanistan!

Should be enough?

10. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Alright let's make it easy with two puzzle clues:

George Orwell less 48 months plus Gershwin hit by Janice

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ?Summertime?
    Still not ringing any bells for me.

12. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Toups @ Sep 9 2007, 08:47 PM) [snapback]509801[/snapback]</div>
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=55.791286,37...c=addr&om=1
    Games of the XXII Olympiad Canoeing and Rowing BasinĂ‚Â², Krylatskoye -

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, good one...that long perfectly straight/pool-like stretch should've clued for something like that...guess none of us are rowers! Good one, guess I would've wished for some sort of 'olympics' tip or something, but that venue certainly should've give us some idea.
    Nice job Mojo, what tipped you off?

14. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 9 2007, 09:47 PM) [snapback]509834[/snapback]</div>
    Russia is the only place in the region with that high of resolution in the drawn maps . I was searching Naval bases for the past hour.But I never found a map with numbered buildings .
    The summer 1980 clue had to be the Russian Olympics.

Ill leave it open.

15. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Sep 9 2007, 09:54 PM) [snapback]509835[/snapback]</div>
    Ok heres one[attachmentid=11317]

Attached Files:

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, got it first guess...

Kuwait oil wells burning...

Someone still up can take it or you can wait an hour or two for me to get home from work to find a new one.

17. toups

toups Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Iraq just north of Kuwait!
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...310364&z=12

Let me find something quick.

Whoops, had trouble posting the link and got beat to the draw. :eek: Second guess for me, I started in Kuwait! A little quicker than the summer olympics post. (That I didn't know what it was when I initially posted it. :rolleyes: )

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 9 2007, 11:41 PM) [snapback]509854[/snapback]</div>
    You can take it or someone else can jump in. I need to call it a night.

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bet I looked at half a dozen sites I wanted to post but couldn't find the resolution or look that I wanted...either too much or too little info would show...
    Try this one, probably too easy so I'll wait for any clues.

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone been looking for this or is everyone skipping b/c it's too obvious. I really thought this would be automatic for somebody.

20. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 10 2007, 02:06 PM) [snapback]510241[/snapback]</div>
    Not for me, Doc, I don't recognize it at all. Looks like an old fort or a prison, but where in the world it is I don't have any idea where to begin.

But if you think it is so obvious someone should know it out of hand, perhaps hold off on clues for a bit more - I think we've relaxed the "Hold Off If You Know It" rule so that if no one's jumped on it in the last 12 - 18 hours or so, go ahead and ID it so as to get the game moving again.

MB

(I gotta say, that shadow next to it is intriguing - something massive as a land mass yet dead straight. Is there a Vogon spaceship parked off-frame?)