1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Google Maps Scavenger Hunt

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by boulder_bum, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jun 8 2007, 12:15 PM) [snapback]458206[/snapback]</div>
    DOH! never mind!

2. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Attached Files:

3. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 8 2007, 11:50 AM) [snapback]458190[/snapback]</div>
    That's a C-5 maneuvering to get a snoutful of high grade kerosene from a KC-135 somewhere above planet earth. I can't identify the location any better than that from the indistinct terrain below. Did you just happen onto that by accident, Kow, wandering Googlemaps at high resolution? Quite a lucky find. Now there's the seed of a new game: how many different airborne aircraft can be found within a specified geographic region, the winners being the one that locates the most, the one who locates the smallest airborne aircraft, the one who locates the largest, and grand prize to the one who locates an airplane about to crash!

I have no idea what causes the ghosts in the image - some artifact of high atmospheric diffraction or something. The ghosts are above the aircraft - perhaps the ghosts are some sort of reverse "shadow" in a high thin translucent cloud layer.

As for the house and what's going on there - no idea. Not even enough to know where to start looking. The truck parked outside is just a happy accident of timing that it was there when the satellite snapped its photo, so I'm not sure the truck is relevant.

MB

4. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Jun 8 2007, 12:46 PM) [snapback]458238[/snapback]</div>
    That's Daley Plaza in Chicago but I don't know whether that's the John Hancock skyscraper adjacent or some other one.

Here's another easy one until I can find a real stinker for later - this one shouldn't need any clues at all

[attachmentid=8703]

Attached Files:

5. Danny Hamilton

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 8 2007, 08:48 PM) [snapback]458424[/snapback]</div>
    The adjacent skyscraper is the Richard J. Daley Civic Center, featured in "The Blues Brothers".

The John Hancock building can be found here:
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=41....p;z=18&om=1

6. mgundel

mgundel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Taj Mahal

This one's probably too easy so no hints....

[attachmentid=8704]

Attached Files:

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Martin Gundel @ Jun 8 2007, 10:15 PM) [snapback]458481[/snapback]</div>
    Google building...I actually had that one saved to post....
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...p;z=16&om=1

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 8 2007, 06:31 PM) [snapback]458411[/snapback]</div>
    Ephesus, The Amphitheatre or Stadium where Paul preached, Acts 19.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...p;z=17&om=1

Airportkid, Indeed it is, nice call. The House pic is my old home in Clovis, CA and it's moving day! You can see the ramp sticking out the side of the moving truck parked out front. That was the first week of June, 2002, and my only claim to fame related to Goggle Earth! :D

Now for the Propellor Heads out there check this link out! You'll freak! :blink: You need to install Goggle Earth to see it!

Here's mine with a little bit different perspective. . .

<div align="center">[attachmentid=8714]</div>

Wildkow

p.s. Check out the corn field just to the NW of the refueling jets! LOLOLOLOL!!! :lol: :D :p :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

Attached Files:

• lc.jpg
      lc.jpg
      File size:
      471.6 KB
      Views:
  9. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Robincx's marina is still unsolved here's the pic below and a hint since Robincx is AWOL. . .
    It's way to easy for me so I passed on answering and I'm leaving it up to you guys.

[attachmentid=8715]

Wildkow

Attached Files:

10. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 9 2007, 12:06 AM) [snapback]458559[/snapback]</div>
    Wildkow

p.s. Check out the corn field just to the NW of the refueling jets! LOLOLOLOL!!! :lol: :D :p :eek: :rolleyes: ;)
    [/b][/quote]
    First clue. . . Greys hang out near this site.

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 9 2007, 03:57 PM) [snapback]458862[/snapback]</div>
    Where did everyone go??

Hint: Not made by a metorite and a "Reese Witherspoon" movie will give you a another hint as to the name.

12. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 11 2007, 11:09 AM) [snapback]459618[/snapback]</div>
    It may be down to you and me, Kow. Everytime I poke around in here I'm always the only visitor.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 11 2007, 11:09 AM) [snapback]459618[/snapback]</div>
    I knew it's a caldera but couldn't find it on the Hawaiian big island and ran out of steam as to other famous caldera sites. Grey bears? Grey birds? Grey wolves? Grey beards? And Reese films are:

Penelope
    Just Like Heaven
    Walk the Line
    Vanity Fair
    Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde
    Sweet Home Alabama
    The Importance of Being Earnest
    Legally Blonde
    The Trumpet of the Swan
    Little Nicky
    American Psycho
    Best Laid Plans
    Election
    Cruel Intentions
    Pleasantville
    Overnight Delivery
    Twilight
    Fear
    Freeway
    Jack the Bear
    A Far Off Place
    Wildflower
    The Man in the Moon

If you see any caldera fields in that rack of titles you've got better eyesight than I do.

13. Danny Hamilton

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect the images and hints are getting a bit too obscure for the average player, so we lost most of our participants. We had more involvement when the images were fun, but easily identifyable (Statue of Liberty, Space Needle, Arlington Cemetary, Wrigley Field, Washington Monument, Kennedy Space Center, Disney Land, etc).

Most players don't seem to want to spend more than 15 minutes trying to find an image. If they know exactly what it is, they might take the time to find the image in google maps and post it, but otherwise they don't bother, they just have too many other priorities to bother sepnding the time to try and figure it out.

I'm still here and participating, but I haven't got any idea on either of the current two images and don't even know where to start looking.

14. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Jun 11 2007, 07:34 PM) [snapback]459908[/snapback]</div>
    Good point, here's a last hint or two. I hope this does it for both areas still not identified.

Robincx's
    1) Es mi punto preferido de las vacaciones.

Mine
    1) "Hombre en la luna" (cráter)

2) Gris = extranjero camino (pequeños hombres verdes)

3) The location of this site actually has something to do with fhoP and a "range".

4) If and when you do find it, I hope an "Easy Chair" will be nearby to rest your weary bones.

Extra points if you figure out how each hint is related to the location. :D

Wildkow

15. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 12 2007, 06:17 AM) [snapback]460026[/snapback]</div>
    It's tough. Not made by a meteorite, and seems to have something to do with "man in the moon", so I was thinking maybe Craters of the Moon National Park in Idaho, but that doesn't look like it. Even allowing for different angles due to the fact this isn't a maps.google image. Doing a search on Man in the Moon gives a million hits, nothing that makes sense to me. A lot of other volcanic craters around, and the other clues aren't helping me narrow it down right now...could even be a man-made crater of some kind

16. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jun 12 2007, 04:25 PM) [snapback]460466[/snapback]</div>
    Hint number two is your friend and will at least narrow it down to one state. If you get hungry throw a "Pancake" on the "Range" Mmmmmm! :p

Wildkow

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm here, but have been gone for a few days. And yea, Kow, some of your stuff is a bit to esoteric for the average Joe who just wants to do this for fun.

18. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 12 2007, 06:32 PM) [snapback]460540[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmmmmm, well then try these hints, Pancake Range, Crater, Extraterrestrial Highway, "Easy Chair" and don't forget Reese's movie "Hombre en la luna". Good luck. :D

Wildkow

19. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 13 2007, 05:58 AM) [snapback]460731[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, that makes it easy finally. Lunar Crater in Nevada, Great Basin region.
    Thanks for the hints, could be an interesting place to visit:
    Description:
    http://www.americansouthwest.net/nevada/lu...l_landmark.html
    Google image:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...p;z=14&om=1

Here's an easy one, this place was a real blast back in the 80's:
    [attachmentid=8819]
    (Yes, I know, the marina in the vacation spot with the mysterious X marks still needs to be solved as well).

Attached Files:

20. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jun , 07:26 AM)</div>
    Mount St. Helens.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&....53627&z=11

A new image is on its way.

This one is from a long way away and a long time ago.
    [attachmentid=8822]

Attached Files: