1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Google to add a solar roof calculator to measure solar panel feasibility

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Ashlem, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Google's making it easy for you to get solar panels onto your roof

I think having something like this would be invaluable in determining if solar panels would be cost effective for your house. Every solar panel installer should be petition Google to roll this program out nationwide asap.

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I disagree.

Why not have an automobile calculator to determine if it is feasible for you to own a car?

Does everyone have the same car? No.

In my town, we have at least three homes that are off-grid. A fourth home will be off-grid within the year. None of these homes have the same setup.

Your needs are different from my needs. Each setup is different from every other setup.

I have 4400 watts of panels. Other homes might only have 2,000 watts.

If anyone is actually thinking about off-grid power, there are good forums to discuss it on. There are regional installers and equipment dealers, who can all design your system for you.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    But how many of those forums can tell if your home gets enough sunlight to make PV, off or on grid, worth the bother to even call an installer out?