1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gore Refuses to Hear GOP Statement on GW

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Mar 21, 2007.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Mar, 09:48 PM) [snapback]409982[/snapback]</div>
    Here's just a small clip of it. Countdown had a longer clip but I can't find it. I'll keep looking.

2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Here's the longer clip from Countdown.

3. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Would somebody who has seen the meeting tell me if anything concrete was proposed by anybody. All I've heard is sound bites of hot air. One sound bite captured Gore asking for a ban on coal fired plants. Was that it?

NPR interviewed Dingell today and specifically asked if the democratic congress was going to raise cafe standards or gas taxes. He waffled while giving the impression the interviewer had asked a stupid question. I'd have smacked him one.

4. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Now increasing the CAFE standards would truly be a huge step, but then again both parties are getting their back pockets line with crisp green one's (nope its not recycled paper)

That is why I said before that the true change has to come from within each individual, buy cars that exceed the CAFE standards, let the purchasing power of masses make the change. They way I see it is that government proposed limits or minimum is only asking for constant challenges to be overturned.

Now I would really welcome CAFE increases, don't get me wrong, I just don't need the government to tell me that conserving an energy resource is good for my financial future as well as my planet. It is such a fundamental part of my life that I am baffled that we still need regulation to force people to make a pro planet choice.

5. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Mar 21 2007, 09:42 PM) [snapback]410010[/snapback]</div>
    Well worth the almost 7 minute watch, both for the political theater and the analysis in the second half.

6. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lywyllyn @ Mar, 09:15 AM) [snapback]410172[/snapback]</div>
    Not everybody thinks like you do. That's why we need regulation. (Of course we also need a government that is interested in serving the people rather than the corporations, but that's for another thread.)

7. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Mar 22 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]410192[/snapback]</div>

<bows head>: yeah :mellow: <mumbling>: I know, I am only a grain of sand at the beach of life :(

..but <perks up> I just gotta be me!!! :lol:

seriously though, I agree a nudge in the right direction might eventually result in a permanent change. Look at recycling, it is locally mandated and it was a fashionable thing and often an annoyance for my parents, for me its second nature to separate my garbage and my kids won't even know the difference.

8. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lywyllyn @ Mar 22 2007, 02:45 PM) [snapback]410307[/snapback]</div>
    what now would you propose the govt regulate - what type of lightbulb we have to buy? A carbon tax?

9. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lywyllyn @ Mar, 11:45 AM) [snapback]410307[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, and my b/f still sometimes puts aluminum cans into the trash even though it's right next to the recycle bin. (sigh) Although he's getting better. :)

10. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 22 2007, 06:56 PM) [snapback]410321[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds good to me. Banning incandescent lightbulbs, or at least adding a 1000% tax for starters. Similar moves are happening in other Australia and the EU. And I think I'd prefer tradable carbon rationing to carbon tax.

What's the problem with that? :rolleyes:

Hardly going to cause you major hardship, is it?

11. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 22 2007, 01:56 PM) [snapback]410321[/snapback]</div>

Oh I don't know if you have to regulate it, for me its a natural choice.. CFB's mean a lower energy bill, which means less energy demand, which means more energy for your hot-tub ;) which means one shovel of coal less needing to burn.

A tax incentive might work. I got one for getting my Prius, although I didn't know about until I did my taxes the following year.

Australia is seriously considering banning ILBs, they rather spend the saved electricity on manufacturing, hospitals, schools and reducing cost of living costs (probably just a little of the yearly e-bill but hey makes for good political slogan ;) ) while maintaining a breathable environment for its citizens to thrive, work and earn higher wages which means more taxes for the government :) dang I know there was a monetary motive :lol:

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Mar 22 2007, 03:38 PM) [snapback]410346[/snapback]</div>
    what is a tradable carbon ration? Who sets the value of this? Where is it traded? Who regulates it? Who determines who gets to buy and sell it?

I am not worried about me - i heat my house with wood - cut my natural gas use by 80% in one year. I drive a Prius and gave up my Lexus 430UL. I worry about several things:

1. the little guy who cant, and
    2. the big guy trying to tell me what i HAVE to do.

3. people who think they know it all and have all the answers
    4. people who follow the crowd / true believers

13. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lywyllyn @ Mar 22 2007, 10:45 AM) [snapback]410307[/snapback]</div>
    Recycling gets easier all the time. We are doing 'single stream' recycling whereby all recycling goes into one can, garbage in other, and garden waste in the third. Recycling is effortless as there is no washing out first, no separating, nada, just move your arm from over the garbage can to the next one a foot away=recycling. Single Grains of Sand make a beach.

14. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 22 2007, 02:09 PM) [snapback]410417[/snapback]</div>
    An excellent list. I imagine it matches the same list most of us would draw up.

I also believe, Dr. Berman, based on your posts and many of the reactions to them, that many of us view yourself as SOLIDLY belonging to 3rd and 4th groups, even if you believe yourself not part of those groups. But your belief counts for little against the reality of how you are perceived.

I'm frequently a member the 3rd group myself - more so than I'd like to be, but I try to maintain an awareness of that and try to moderate it by saying "I think" and "I believe" and "probably" as much as possible rather than "All A" and "Every B" and "Absolutely C" and top it off by calling anyone who disagrees a "traitor" or "stupid", which is the hallmark of an irredeemable #3, and most #4s.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

15. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 22 2007, 09:09 PM) [snapback]410417[/snapback]</div>
    The government gives every individual an equal carbon allowance (for free), the total amount determining how much the nation will pollute. The rations are gradually reduced year on year, to lower the total amount the nation pollutes.
    The open market, the value will be determined by the fixed supply versus demand.
    Some sort of simple trading exchange - could be done online. Just like any other uniform commodity - gold, oil, whatever. When you buy petrol, or whatever, you would hand over your ration card along with your credit card, and carbon units would be deducted. If you were out of carbon credits, you could automatically buy the necessary on the spot at the current market price.
    The government.
    Everyone can buy and sell. Those who don't travel much will have an excess they can sell for profit to those flying all around the place.

Quite a lot of work has been put into how this would work in practice by various groups; I read a good paper on it a few months back that I can't find now. It's being fairly seriously considered here in the United Kingdom.

I don't see any real practical problems at the individual level, but the problem will be making sure all costs are incorporated from upstream processes (transportation, imports, whatever).

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Mar 22 2007, 07:18 PM) [snapback]410505[/snapback]</div>
    so algore gets the same amount of carbon credits as an american indian living in a teepee on a reservation?Who has proven CO2 if the force of global warming anyhow? Is this a WORLD WIDE EVENT - because if china, india, brazil, etc are not included will regulating just the USA going to work? What do your models say if only the USA and the EU cut co2 production??

How does the open market determine the value of carbon? If supply and demand are the determining factors how do you LIMIT carban production or are you just reallocating carbon production to those that can afford it???? HUH??? Like algore :D

everyone can buy and sell - and why do you assume only traveling produces co2? how about dairy farmers - tons of co2 there? how about people who own campgrounds which is a natural co2 sink - do they get a natural credit?

this whole thing is a politcal power grab based on false tennets and a marketplace that at best will be devoid of any natural market forces - who determines how much co2 is allowed?????

jeez - i think the lefties should just go after medicine first and save the planet for later.

17. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 23 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]410783[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. The American Indian gets a fat lot of money selling his unwanted credits to Al Gore.

These clever folks called scientists.

Trade rules can be enforced - import tariffs can be agreed on countries which aren't meeting treaty agreements to cut CO2 emissions.
    It would be a damned good start, because they're the biggest emitters.

The total number of credits is fixed. Supply is fixed by the government. So you are reallocating a fixed amount carbon production to those that can afford it, and they are going to have to pay for the privilege. It's a way of incentivising people to emit less. Those who don't emit as much as their ration (quite a large proportion of the population) will make money by selling theirs.

It's not only travelling, obviously, it's also anything you buy that used fuel for its production. The people who produced the goods will have had to buy carbon credits for their fuel, and the cost will be passed on to the end consumer.

The government. I know you righty anarchist types don't think the government should be allowed to determine anything, of course. :lol: That job's best left for the corporations... Damn that pesky democracy, government by the people for the people lefty claptrap.

Out of interest, how do you feel about the worldwide treaties that banned various CFCs?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Mar 23 2007, 02:52 PM) [snapback]410837[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, and of course, if you're really green, you can surrender them. Or charities could buy them up for surrender. That would cut emissions further than the minimum imposed by the government.

18. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It sounds like carbon credits are all about about "the government" deciding what I get. No thanks, I already have enough of that.

BTW - I believe the EU is a do-as-I-say organization that wants to use GW and carbon credits to punish the US - with some guilt but mostly reduced financial power due to the "GW enforcement" effects on the US economy. Carbon credits will just be another way to separate people from their money, and the governments of the world are all for that!

19. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    So, do you have a better suggestion for reducing CO2 emissions? How do you do that without "the government"? That's what the government's for. :D

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Mar 23 2007, 10:53 AM) [snapback]410837[/snapback]</div>

The american indian gets nothing because algore buys credits from his own company

how do you enforce trade rules? cut off trade? what are the threats you would ENFORCE?

oh,oh - government fixing supply and demand - does not sound like a free market to me. how do you measure co2 and greenhouse gasses people emit? how does the government determine these things? and as a sidegbar the govt might be busy socializing medicine - how are you possibly going to have the govt take care of 300,000,000 people and their co2 production?? they cant even deliver the mail, now you want them determining and monitoring co2 and greenhouse gas emissions of not only every american but every human being on the planet?

world wide treaties - lets see - name one that works to date -

how do handle things like PRIVATE jets?

if you want to effect change in this equation why dont you just allow the construction of 100 nuclear power plants in the us of a - that would do more for that than anything you are proposing above. heck we should sell and build them across the globe - that would decrease co2 production dramatically and you would have to have no govt interference, govt police role in this, artificially set guidelines, etc, etc, etc.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Mar 23 2007, 11:01 AM) [snapback]410843[/snapback]</div>
    you have not proven to me that co2 is responsible for agw. start there. and govt's are not for enforcing voodoo science - seems to me they did nothing during the global cooling of the 1970's :D

and you want the best suggestion? build 100 nuclear power plants over the next 20 years - a manhattan project of nuclear power plants - that will do more for your co2 production problems than disrupting the entire economyand creating a new politically based carbon industry.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(McShemp @ Mar 23 2007, 10:58 AM) [snapback]410842[/snapback]</div>
    i see it the same but with this added proviso - the EU is looking for a way to become relavent again - to be able to exert some influence in world affairs outside of just being the anti-America. NO better way than creating a cottage industry of carbon trading/limits/ for that to happen.

they cannot even meet their goals - and they have complete control over their mindless hordes :lol: i would like to c the us govt go to some west virginian home who is using too much carbon and try to collect their carbon tax from him :blink: