1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

got a recall notice today

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by southjerseycraig, Nov 17, 2018.

1. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Apparently if you stomp hard enough on the accelerator, the car can stall. Brakes and steering will still work, though. Toyota is working on a remedy, it says, so there will be a further notice. Until then be careful about flooring the accelerator.

It's nice that Toyota is taking responsibility for this problem, but I'm surprised it wasn't detected before.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Recall? Are you sure that's not a TSB?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's the J1V recall notice. Mine just came in the mail the other day, but it's been discussed here on PriusChat already.

The 1 in J1V means they don't have the update ready to roll out yet. When they do, the J0V notices will get mailed, and then we can go in and get the update.

-Chap

Bay Stater, amos and Robert Holt like this.
  4. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Yep got mine in the mail yesterday. Just waiting for the next notice when they actually have it available for us.

Tande likes this.
  5. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Got my notice last week.

6. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well we're special and want to create a thread just for ourselves exclusively, how are we supposed to get attention then :LOL:

scona and amos like this.
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    so ... it's just a flash? rather than actual parts swap out? Surprise of all surprises, we just got an OTA flash on our stinking mini van. Who knew? Makes me wonder which manufacturers have not yet bought into this time-saving process.

9. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I’m not too happy about Toyota doing a re-flash of the ECM because it almost always comes with a cost. What seems to be a design flaw in the electrical inverter is being addressed by Toyota with another software bandaid. It not going to do anything except save THEM (Toyota) money at the expense of their customers.

scona likes this.
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you get an opportunity to approve the OTA flash on the minivan? What was the notification like?

Of course I want to make lots of comforting assumptions about how they handle security and authenticity for their OTA updates....

Hmm, well, almost everything about the inverter is software. Software and a dozen or so big honkin' transistors. Everything about what it does, and what it makes MG1 and MG2 do, is all about the timing of trigger pulses to those transistors, and that's ... the software.

In the case of this recall, the issue is a particular set of circumstances where the software was supposed to transition to failsafe/limp-home mode, but could end up transitioning to immediate OFF instead. The software is the obvious place to fix that. In traffic, immediate OFF is pretty clearly not the behavior you want.

-Chap

Bay Stater and Johnny Cakes like this.