1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got a refurbished Interstate Battery for $30

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AllenZ, Jul 27, 2011.

1. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No doubt about it. AGM is better than lead acid. But the issue is value.

The advantage of the Toyota unit is that it fits perfectly, and you can usually get it immediately at any dealer. But it appears that it's a rather ordinary lead acid unit at an AGM price.

If you have the time and don't mind having to deal with adapters, a real AGM unit like the Optima Yellow Top is a superior choice. It is higher capacity, tolerates abuse better, will probably last longer, and is about the same price as the Toyota unit.

Maybe the $30 refurbished battery will only last a few years, maybe only half as long as the original. It will probably have the same corrosion problems as any other lead acid battery. So it seems like a bit more hassle, but about 1/4 the price. The $75 new conventional battery will probably last a little longer. Same corrosion problems, just like everybody has been living with forever.

I suspect that a lot of people would go for the $75 conventional battery instead of the $180 Toyota unit if they had the choice. Don't expect your dealer to offer it... :D

1 person likes this.
  2. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Adding sound proofing? Do you add some sponge pad to reduce the noise in that area? How much impact it has? I am curious to know more...

3. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OK, I did replace spark plug when I bought it at 110K, probably don't have to worry about it before 200K.

Yes the pumps under recall is replaced, I am just not sure if that's water pump or inverter cooling pump. Will check it out.

So I do have pcv valve, serpentine belt, coolant on my list. Struts and shocks will wait for them to show some deteriorating sign at least.

4. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree that if I had all those information before, I would go with Optima. but since the risk is low, and I've had the job done, I would wait to see how long the refurbished one can last.

Probably the "New" batter was not fully charged when installed, I am seeing that I can "stealth" drive for longer and longer period of time everyday. Before that, I can hardly stealth drive at all, probably indicates the old Toyota battery had lower voltage, so the engine never stops trying to charge it, hence the lower mileage of 41-43. Now it back to 46 something.

Thanks everyone for offering your knowledge and opinion.

Allen

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The rear quarter panels on the Prius transmit road noise into the car as do the doors, sit in the car and get some one to lightly tap the panels you will see what I mean. Another panel that lets in noise is the one between the 12v battery and the spare wheel well under the boot tray, the exhaust is mounted under this and it acts like a drum skin. Take the tray out and give it a tap with your fingers you will be amazed how much noise it makes. Sound proofing material is available on line also do a search hear on sound proofing.

6. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you would like to compare the number of people killed by battery acid in a Prius compared to the number of people killed by smoking...?.......

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The point is people do stuff that is potentially bad for them all the time. Education doesn't seem to help.

I'm not sure where you came up with that conclusion.

8. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just do not worry about a very minor potential hazard ( wet cell battery to rear of car ) I very well would worry if I was a smoker ( speaking, of course as a past smoker ) Statistically smoking is dangerous, hauling a battery around is not.