1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got an 07 Prius Wednesday... Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LisaF88, Feb 25, 2017.

1. LisaF88

LisaF88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, I've been looking to buy a Prius. Found one for sale. 07 Prius, 190K. Test drove it 2 times. Both times it was driven on the highway and in the city for approx 10 miles. It looked nice, drove fine, no warning lights, AC cold and Cruise worked. Although both times it had to be jumped because the 12V battery was dead. The man told me he would replace the battery. I went back 2 days later to pick it up and he told me he had replaced the battery. He still had to jump it though... strange... Anyway, i paid him and drove off. I kid you not, within 2 miles the dash lit up like a christmas tree. Red Triangle, (!) and Check Engine light all came on. No AC, no Cruise. I went back and he said this sometimes happens when replacing the battery. Do a "drive cycle" and it should fix itself in 24 hours. I guess you all know it did not fix itself... Car starts now without jumping but I have a feeling the battery wasnt fully charged when it was installed. I think this is where the problem began. I jumped online and started researching. I did read this sometimes happens and possibly to clean the HV cooling fan. Had the codes checked at Advance Auto. About 10 of them came up. Cleared them out, drove 2 miles, the dash lit up. Wth? Called a local shop that works on Hybrids and told him what happened. First thing he asked is if the AC was working? I said it was blowing, but blowing warm air. I took him the car today. He hooked up his fancy $13K machine. Cell 4 and Cell 11 weak. He hooked up the machine to charge the AC. Freon Very Low. Recharged. Turned on the AC, still blowing hot. Compressor isnt coming on. Hybrid Battery getting hot, fan blowing hard.. He said one thing wouldnt allow the other thing to work. Vicious Cycle. We tore apart the back of the car tonight, pulled the fan and cleaned it. Replaced everything and reset the codes. Approx 5 min of drving, dash lit up like a Xmas tree... So, He can replace the 2 cells for about $800... Any advice from someone here? I'm LOST!!

2. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome!

Unfortunately, I'd call a lawyer and return that car, it sounds like it has more problems than you need.

3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So you do need new/rebuild hybrid battery. If old battery is rebuild good it can be OK for long time but many times there not. If the guy just replaces 2 cells it won’t last that long. Other options include buying rebuild hybrid battery from somewhere. When buying rebuild you pretty much just have to go with the reputation of the rebuilder. Or you can buy new one from Toyota dealer.

Unfortunately ILuvMyPriusToo has good advice although I have no idea on how US laws are regarding car sales. There’s no knowing how many other problems this Prius is going to have.

And next time you buy a car take somebody how is more knowledgeable with you.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can we ask what the car cost? I'm 99.99% sure he knew that car had problems when he sold it to you. I think I would take it back like @ILuvMyPriusToo said. I don't like involving lawyers, but it might be necessary here.

Moving Right Along likes this.
  5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This probably is bad advice.
    In most all states, a private sale of a used vehicle is "AS IS" unless stated otherwise in writing.
    The seller is legally obligated to do: NOTHING.

By all means, check the law in your area but this is the chance you take when you buy anything used......ESPECIALLY if you let the seller get away with "It only needs......(anything)".
    I wish there was an easy way out of this but there probably isn't.

Him trying to sell it with a dead battery should have been a HUGE red flag.

strawbrad and Bluegrassman like this.
  6. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Sam Spade may very well be right. But there's too much at stake to walk away without checking your options each state has its own laws. I did a quick google and thought this looked like it might be encouraging:

Sometimes, however, labeling a car "as is" isn't going to protect the seller from any potential responsibility. Some states won't allow "as is" transactions for car sales. In still others, there are limits imposed. For example, a seller may have a duty to disclose when a car has a salvage title (has previously been declared a total loss) even when he sells it "as is." In addition, state lemon laws may apply to govern the sale as well, and may take precedence over an "as is" agreement between the parties.

It's from: What Does it Mean to Buy a Car As-Is?

I would do some checking on NC law in this case. And either way, before involving a lawyer, I'd give the seller a chance to do the right thing first.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. You'll need a new hv battery pack.
    2. Try the AC when you first start the car, see if it'll get cold. If it does, then you probably have a failed inverter pump. When the inverter overheats, AC operations are usually lost.
    3. Check the VIN history at Toyota.com and make sure all the recalls have been completed. The inverter pump is a recalled item
    4. I'm not sure if you did or did not charge Freon, is it possible to charge without the compressor turning on?

#7 JC91006, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  8. LisaF88

LisaF88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Took the car back to the dealer today. He offered to fix the car or return my money. I paid $3250 for the car. So i will lose the DMV fees of $235 and the $88 for recharging the AC system. Should i let him fix it and keep it or get my money back? All recalls have been made. I have all the service records from Toyota. I even contacted the previous owner and he said the car had no problems when he traded it. Advice?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is sounding better, whichever route you take. Me, I'd cut my losses, hand it back to the dealership for refund . Something doesn't add up, the jump start needed with new battery, for one.

Shane Burns and Chodronish like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    run, don't walk. welcome to priuschat.:)

Chodronish likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's pretty encouraging that he will put his wallet behind the car. At least that he says he will. I do not know. Based on what you've told us, I still don't know that I'd trust him to do a good job. But I hate to say anything too strong one way or the other. It's a bit of a gamble which ever way you go.

Chodronish likes this.
  12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wait......he said he just replaced the battery but yet it needed a jumpstart?
    And you drive away? Didn't put that 2 & 2 together? Total lie and chain jerk there.

Take the 320 loss and run. if you already have a good lawyer then yeah it will cost you at least that much for a few phone calls.if you don't already have a lawyer forget it. Run.

Stay away from high mileage Prius. They can be tough unless you already have a good mechanic or electronics guy which you obviously don't.

And they all have that bingo in the trunk may need a new hybrid battery.

strawbrad likes this.
  13. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Get your money back Lisa. Cut your losses here, now. There are more fish in the sea.

Chodronish likes this.
  14. luv2spd

luv2spd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would get the money back as well. I hate snake oil salesman and God knows what else he is not telling you. For $3,250 you should be able to get a car that works well. If the seller knew that the car needed to be jump started because of the dead battery; why didn't he change the battery before your test drive. He probably knew the battery didn't fix the problem and cleared all the engine codes with an OBDII before letting you test drive it. Sleazy way of selling a car.

15. iamvietdang

iamvietdang Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Stay away from high mileage 2nd gens...

2016 Prius 4T Premium Convenience Pkg
    2016 NX200t F Sport

edthefox5 likes this.
  16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

3250 gets you not much around here. Whatever it is it's got 150+k miles and is less than an 07
    And usually needs a $1000 worth of work immediately at least tires and engine or trans work or full tune up then when your done you have a high mileage 12 year old car from who knows where that's been hung up wet & beat to death. That's expensive as the majority of people on the road now don't even own a socket set anymore. Given that combo last thing you need is a 3000 dollar hybrid battery on its last legs. But if your good with tools and electronics a used high mileage Prius is not scary. If your recourse is dealer only forget it.

strawbrad likes this.
  17. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I agree, I would return the car for refund. I hope you update us with what happened with this. I was relieved and surprised to read he even offered to take it back. Best of luck! I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. I hope it works out for you, and you are able to find something better.

18. LisaF88

LisaF88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK guys, dealer replaced hybrid battery and AC compressor. Still no AC. AC is fully charged. Replaced DC inverter. Still not working! Check fuses, all good. Any ideas here?

19. LisaF88

LisaF88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Car is running fine. Switching from battery to gas, no problem. Dash Warning lights are all off

Chodronish likes this.
  20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should test everything before leaving the dealer. They also shouldn't be releasing a car back to the customer if the car is not fixed

Chodronish likes this.