1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got "Check Hybrid System" and "Check PCS System" at same time

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PeterPrius2007, Dec 11, 2022.

1. PeterPrius2007

PeterPrius2007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The joys of buying a used Prius
    We did a 1200 km trip in our newly purchased 2010 Prius.
    Ran great until about 1000 km, got nice 4.8 L/100 km (49 mpg) during the trip on the highway in -3º to -7º C weather, when suddenly, driving at 100 km/h, it gave both these errors at the same time. Yellow triangle lit up on dash, as did icon that seems to indicate "traction control".
    Car seemed to run fine still, I connected Dr. Prius and HV batt still seemed to be charging/discharging as before.
    Connected Torque Pro, the previous P0A80 code that had been reporting as Historical, was now was showing as Pending (ie. must be a new code).
    Awhile before this, the DRCC (radar cruise) failed with "Clean radar sensor", likely because the whole friend end had iced over with slush. I doubt this has anything to do with the other errors, just thought I would note it anyways.
    Torque Pro could clear the Pending P0A80 but indicated no other error, no mention of PCS or anything.
    When I got home, I turned the car off and on at which point all dashboard errors disappeared.
    What are the chances that PCS and Hybrid System will experience failure at the same time? These seem like two totally different systems.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So after you got home and the car got de-iced and sat a while. Did you go back and check your codes are you reading your codes and looking at just your car or do you have a reasonably good scan tool assembly? That's great that the car is telling you whatever but now you need to scan with the real scan tool and see what real codes and subcodes you might have if any It might have been just the freezing weather Don't rule it out

3. PeterPrius2007

PeterPrius2007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I only have a cheap ODB II sensor (ELM327) and Torque Pro and Dr. Prius to check codes.
    Torque does not report any kind of PCS error. It reports Pending P0A80. When I clear the codes in Torque, both the "Check Hybrid System" and "Check PCS" errors clears on the dash and everything seems fine. Torque then reports a Historical P0A80 and nothing else.