1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got hit today

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bretaz, May 4, 2011.

1. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad you are ok and like you said, this is not the end of the world. Stuff can be fixed, and I hope your Prius can be fixed and not be totaled. Sorry this happened to you, it sucks.

2. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm reminded of a defensive driving seminar I attended years ago. One suggestion from the seminar was to leave at least a car length while stopped at an intersection. The reason being that a car length may provide a possible escape route in the event of an accident like Bretaz just experienced. I'm always aware of who is in my right/left lanes while stopped; not that I can do anything about them. By the way, I'm not at all saying Bretaz could have avoided this. Like I said, I'm only thinking about my own intersection driving experiences as I read about Bretaz's unfortunate accident.

The other suggestion I remember is that if I'm the lead car stopped at a red light, I count to three before accelerating on the green.

Actually, when slowing for a red light or even stopped, I drive as much through my rearview mirror as I do through the windshield. Even with all that, I still find most cars will stop right on my bumper at an intersection, even if it's on a hill.

My regrets to Bretaz and the other drivers who are victim to someone's inattentive, reckless driving.

1 person likes this.
  3. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No its not even close to being totalled. I just dont want it anymore after it took such a hard hit on that front axle. I am afraid there may be damage that is not detectable at this time, and could have problems down the road. I was hit in my 03. Got everything fixed. Less than one month later, the transaxle failed. It was somewhere around $8,000.00 to fix and it was not under warranty. Luckily, Toyota took care of it anyway. I have always suspected that the collision had something to do with the untimely death of the transaxle, but cannot be certain.

It would be really hard to find a Prius right now. I got mine super cheap in December. I don't want to sell to a private party since it has been wrecked, so I will just trade it in. I can get almost what I paid for it new, plus I won't have to pay any taxes since I am trading. That will save me about $2,500.00.

I could keep it, but I just know I won't be happy with it after this.

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not too far though, as a car can just maneuvers around you and sit in front of you, thinking you're a weirdo.

People like that piss me off, and here in L.A. you'd be blasted to death with horns. Better to keep moving slowly once the light turns green then accelerate full on on the count to three.

They're not actually on your bumper. The split rear windows give the illusion that they're riding your bumper. In reality, if you were in a regular non-hatchback sedan, you'd not think they're on your bumper when they're just as close.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Understand all of that, don't understand why you don't just trade it in for another Prius? Are you afraid of the salesmen making fun or something, trading a Prius for a Prius?

The inventory situation may get better, the petrol situation won't.

6. GWhizzer

GWhizzer not so Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I sympathize totally. My wife got hit from behind and sandwiched with the one in front while stopped at a red this last winter. Only minor damage to front and rear bumpers, but frustrating nonetheless. This is the first new car I've owned in 20 years and do you think any of the used ones in between ever got hit? Not.

I too subscribe to the "leave a car length in front" tactic (at least in the winter) and (carefully) mentioned it to my wife. Had she done that, it might have saved the day since she saw it all coming in the rear-view mirror and that extra 10 feet could have made all the difference...

7. dctalk523

dctalk523 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wth! man that blows. i hope you take legal action on her. it's b/c of ppl like her dumb nice person that i need to pay insurance.

8. deadmoney33

deadmoney33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, you got your microseconds, nanoseconds, femtoseconds, and attoseconds, but the shortest time interval known to man remains that between the traffic light turning to green and the guy behind you mashing his horn.

9. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found out yesterday that the total is $5,300.00. There was some suspension damage. I remember seeing control arm on the estimate. I am going through my insurance to get this over with faster. Geico, the isurance company for the Mustang driver, cannot get ahold of their insured. They said that based on the statements of everyone else, it looks to be her fault, but they need to speak with her first. My guess, based on her actions at the scene and the cops remarks, she has probably lawyered up. Glad I have good insurance. Its only going to cost me $100.00.

On another note, I bought a Jetta TDI. Was able to get it for $600.00 below invoice. I need something that gets good mileage. I felt that the Jetta offered alot of value. I am concerned about reliability, but willing to take the chance. I have owned many, many Toyotas, but at this time they just don't have anything that appeals to me in my price range. The Corolla just doesn't do it for me. If the iQ was available, I would buy it in a heartbeat. But for whatever reason, Toyota will just not release it in the U.S.

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like your outlook on life!
    I'm not a cancer survivor, but 10 submarine patrols (and some other deployments) have taught me not to sweat the small stuff.
    A dinged car is small stuff.
    I was going to fire off a recommendation to eschew das Volkswagens but since you've already pulled the trigger on a Jetta TDI (a car I briefly considered) this would be swinging after the bell. :)
    Good luck with the car!
    Stop by and see us every now and then!

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have you discussed trade-in amount with a dealership, since the accident? If not: Do keep in mind that they are very aware of the perceptions of a car that's been in an accident. Their potential customers for your traded-in car will not pay nearly as much for your car, with it having been in an accident. The dealer will de-value your trade-in accordingly.

I'd suggest:

1. Press your insurance company for compensation for that diminished trade-in value. If you've been a relatively accident free customer, they may be able to do something for you.

2. Keep the car, for the medium term, see how it goes. Get the best body shop you can find, make sure it's fixed right, try to insist on new, genuine parts, etc.

In a few years, the differences between accident vs non-accident trade-in value will diminish.

I know it sucks. We were in a similar situation, about 18 months back. The car, a 2006 Honda Civic hybrid, was restored to near-new conditions, but there were issues with door alignment, and the front suspension. Still, it's pretty good.

Going to trade-in for our current Prius, as soon as the salesman heard "accident", the trade-in offer dropped to slap-in-the-face territory. We knew the condition of the car, that it had been restored as best it could, but to them it was just an unknown factor, an extra hassle when trying to make a sale.

What we ended up doing, and this was maybe a year post-accident, was selling privately, to a family member, getting a decent bare-bones wholesale amount, still much more than the dealer was offering, with assurance if they every had accident related problems we would make it right. ;)

12. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Bret, which body shop are you having do the work?

We all know here in the Phoenix valley that insisting the light is green really means "red + 2 cars".

Good luck w/ the repair!

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If Geico determines their driver is at fault they'll send a check for $100 & reimburse your insurance company.

14. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good advice there.

If a dealer knows a potential trade-in was in an accident, they will not give you squat for it because they're just going to send it to auction or sell it to a local wholesaler.

Trying to get something for diminished value will be an uphill battle that you will likely not win. Just make sure they will pay for "proper" repairs at a "good" shop. A body shop that is part of a local Toyota dealer might be best, they should know the Prius better and will only use genuine parts. That is a battle worth fighting...and it will be a fight.

Regarding the Jetta, the TDI is a very good engine. But it's still a VW, get an extended warranty. My sister-in-law had a Jetta, she finally got so fed up with all the problems, she drove it to CarMax and told them to give her a check and call her a cab. She borrowed our Jeep Grand Cherokee for a while, I helped her research good possible cars for her and she settled on the Honda CRV that she loves and it's been problem free.

15. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took it to Scott's Coachworks on 7th ave and Camelback.

They gave me $23,000.00 for it on trade. They knew it was wrecked and in the bodyshop. They didn't even care. I saved $2,500 in taxes by trading. They just said to bring it in when it is done.

Here is a couple pics of the new ride taken with crappy cell phone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Took it to Scott's Coachworks. They do great work.

What color is the interior of your car Rick?

17. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Misty Grey.

Good to know - I've used Larry Miller's body shop in the past, and the work was ok on the outside, but the hidden areas appeared less than quality.

18. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have something you may want. I have the husky liners in grey. I have the first row, second row, and cargo. They are like new. If you want them let me know and we can get together sometime.

19. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There's probably going to be a limits issue, so going through your own insurer was the right course of action.

20. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Both parties that were moving and involved in the initial collision have Geico. Geico has been very good with hadling this so far. Point blank up front they said they were financially responsible, and would just have to determine which party was at fault.

Where is gets interesting is the the first person to report the accident was the Mustang driver. However, she reported to Geico that another car had run a red light and struck her. Then Geico started getting calls from the other parties, who all told the same story that the Mustang ran the red light. Now, Geico cannot get ahold of the Mustang driver. They will not answer the phone or return messages. Last i heard from Geico, they felt they had enough information from the other parties to determine fault.

Geico said that is was good that I was using my own insurance as that would be the quickest way. She said if both parties did not have Geico, this could drag on for a long time before fault is agreed upon. It is important to have good insurance on your own vehicle.

1 person likes this.