1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GOT HYBRID BATTERY QUESTIONS? ASK AWAY

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Adolfo Gaona, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Adolfo Gaona

Adolfo Gaona New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello Hybrid Owners, I've been reading a lot of forums on hybrid battery experiences and majority didn't sound good. I created a Prius Chat Account to help you guys in understanding your vehicle better. I'm an ASE Certified Tech in electrical systems and have taken Hybrid Battery courses as well. I have worked in 2 hybrid shops in Orange County Ca and now Operate Hybrid Drive Batteries located in Yorba Linda Ca.
    I want to help spread more knowledge to make the Prius community more alert when it comes to dealing with a hybrid battery problem and purchasing one. Feel free to ask me questions.

Cyvan, hyp3rmil3r, smilyme and 2 others like this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for offering... Those of use who are refining our DIY skills when it comes to pack rebuilding are primarily limited by the quality of our testing equipment.

I always say my buddy with $30K in lab grade testing gear who can process as many as 80 modules at once can find the very best modules to build 3-year warranty quality packs very quickly.

But those of us who have less than a couple thousand dollars in equipment and have to hand enter our module data into spreadsheets are much more limited. Even though we're pretty good at finding bad modules, reconditioning bad modules, finding some modules before they go bad, it's difficult to rebuild a pack that's maintenance free for a few years.

So my question is what type of inexpensive equipment can we add / upgrade beyond this list of the usual:

-- Multiple RC Hobby chargers and 50w/12v bulbs for ---> charging, discharging, load testing and reconditioning individual modules.
    -- Hybrid Automotive's Prolong System for --- > charging&balancing packs after back in the car, reconditioning healthy packs in the car
    -- OBD2 reader for ---> Dr. Prius, Hybrid Assistant, and Hybrid Reporter Apps
    -- Mini VCI for ---> Toyota Techstream Software

One upgrade I'm planning is replacing my bank of cheap multi-testers for mulitple module discharging & load testing and buying higher quality ones that measures voltage down to a thousandth of a volt instead of my current hundredths of a volt, which will make my spread sheet numbers on module health way more detailed than they are currently.

Another upgrade is to ditch my skyrc imax b6ac v2 chargers for HTRC T240 DUO, because the T240 has an internal cooling fan, can be run on 24v DC and has a screen that graphically charts charge and discharge rates so you have a visual of module health.

The final upgrade I'm looking forward to is a thermal imaging camera so I can find cells that a running hotter than the others.

So yes, please let us know your thoughts on what low cost testing equipment would compliment/improve this collection?

smilyme and SFO like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

where can i get a replacement pack for my prius?

dig4dirt likes this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I press the brake pedal and all my brake lights work correctly. I turn on my headlights and all my lights work correctly.

If my headlights are on and I press the brake, my passenger side rear light/brake light goes out. The other brake lights come on normally.

???

PriusCamper and dig4dirt like this.
  5. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bisco is on it again!:ROFLMAO:. Get it at Toyota!

6. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This must be an ASE question:ROFLMAO::D

7. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are there any links you could provide of some of the hybrid battery courses you took? I mean, maybe a PDF stuffs one can get from you? This would be extremely useful too.

SFO likes this.
  8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's a another question for a fellow member. 2013 Prius had a P0A80 code. Battery was replaced. P0A80 still shows in the "Permanent" category. Car will not pass inspection until the code clears itself, even though not in "current" or "pending". I've seen this in other Gen 3's after HV battery replacement and it's not clearable using the techstream version I own. What is the required drive cycle sequence to get the code fully cleared?

darkgiant, SFO and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think its not limited to the hybrid too. I have seen that on some ICE vehicles have worked. I used to wonder, what that PERMANENT section meant.

10. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol... Looks like the scene of yet another OP ghosting? Seems way too common people get on here and post a question and are never heard from again. Maybe it's a robot and they're harvesting us? :cautious:(n):ROFLMAO:

Dxta likes this.
  11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, it looks like Adolfo changed his mind...…….

meanwhile...

and buying higher quality ones that measures voltage down to a thousandth of a volt instead of my current hundredths of a volt, which will make my spread sheet numbers on module health way more detailed than they are currently.

Isn't that a bit like buying an expensive set of calipers to measure something to the ten-thousandth of an inch and then cutting it with an oxy-acetylene torch?

12. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will place this here, since OP was most likely looking for backlinks and hits.

Hybrid Drive Batteries

[email protected]

22607 E La Palma ave,
    Suite 406
    Yorba Linda, 92887

CALL 714-760-1658

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, big huge heavy sigh when I read that... Sometimes it hurts real bad to totally agree! You're right! But it drives me crazy that meticulous spreadsheet numbers and racing a bank of many modules in discharge to find the bad ones doesn't work really very well compared to my friend with $30K in gear. Currently been working on the theory of simply driving a pack into the ground to find bad modules and went from a red triangle every 75 miles to 2-3 red triangles a day in less than 20 miles, and now, perhaps because of the full moon, that same stupid pack hasn't thrown a red triangle in 3 days. W.T.F? So totally exasperating! What am I not noticing? How can we get better at finding bad modules in really bad packs that have been rebuilt way too many times?

14. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wasn't aware of this thread, thank you @TMR-JWAP! As mentioned above any instructions on the "three drive cycles" to clear permanent DTCs (in this case, it is P0A80 for me) would be greatly appreciated!

15. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ROFLOL!!!! Can I use that? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Prodigyplace likes this.
  16. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey, jerry! Where have you being?! Being awhile over here.:D

jerrymildred likes this.
  17. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm still kicking. No trips to Togo on the calendar, so I stay busy with work when I can pry myself away from Prius Chat. :)

Dxta likes this.
  18. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Adolfo must have tripped and fell into a black hole. What a shame. He apparently felt he was going to be a fantastic resource to help us out, but we never got a chance to find out.....

Dxta, PriusCamper and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We can't say we haven't seen this routine before and way too often! But what really hurts is we're trying to find answers to substantive questions and when ASE certified mechanics offer to help & then ghost out on us, it kinda makes me wish I had a way to file a complaint strong enough for them to worry about losing their certification!

Dxta likes this.
  20. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looking at his status, he was even online a day and an hour ago. But he didn't deem it fit to respond to our questions. I had wanted to learn more, as for me, but he just didn't want to teach me(or us).