1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got my '14 PiP

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Sarge, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    image.jpeg Well, I made the trip yesterday to get the car, and am now officially part of the PiP family. :cool:

Car had 39,916km on pickup, and the previous owner had only driven 8% in EV. Seems it was never reset (except for a 7km delta) so that was essentially lifetime. A bit disappointed they didn't think to charge the car before I came, so there was zero EV charge. :cautious:

Car is in good shape and very clean interior, however there are a few minor scratches on the passenger side they "missed". Rubbing against brush type of scratches. All light surface scratches except the rear passenger bumper right behind the tire, which looks like someone may have lightly scraped against something. Again, very light, and in fact easily missed (they are very hard to photograph, a lot of camera would not even pick it up, such as you can't see it in the picture above). No door dings or dents at all. The sales rep said she is ordering me a paint pen and will send it to me.

One thing that is a bit more irritating is that the tonneau cover was missing, as well as the driver floor mat. They did throw in the Prius rubber floor mats, and the windows are tinted, with the hatch especially dark. Seems the previous owner decided to tint it very dark rather than use the cover, and who knows what happen to it.

I argued that the cover should be a 'given' since the car comes with it, and tried to get them to throw it in, but they wouldn't. They said 'used cars come as they are'.:mad: In the end, I did get a number of concessions from them, and I as just tired of negotiating with these people so I let it go, and I will get a used one. I wasn't about to walk away from the car for this, as annoying as it was.

On this note, can anyone confirm that the tonneau cover in the PiP and other Gen 3 is identical? I assume so. Unfortunately, my Gen 2 cover is about 3" too short. :oops:

Car has the original Ecopia tires, so I am probably good for one summer, maybe two before I need to replace them.

I had a 700km drive home, which took about 8 hours. Drive is very nice (DRCC is great!), and I averaged 4.2L/100km with zero wall charge, running on Eco most of the time (and A/C basically the whole time). I think my average speed was about 95km/h according to the car.

So, aside from the above minor quibbles, I am quite impressed with the car. :cool:

Cheers!

#1 Sarge, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    Victor Tilane, drash and bisco like this.
  2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You have the same color PiP as me! Seems like you have all the options that I want too. I tinted mine but didn't go dark enough. The hatch cover has been sitting in the garage since day 1. For me, it was a waste of money because I can't see its purpose. People said its so I can hide stuff in the trunk. I say I want to show the thieves I have nothing to hide. It's wasting space in my garage because the person buying used will expect it to have it. Just in case you haven't checked, there's a small cubby area in the trunk to stow away the hatch cover. Give it a look see. I flipped over my trunk mat to get a poor mans rubber mats for the trunk. Can't do the same for the interior mats as they are not symmetrical. Oh well, I'm at 102k miles without much issue.

PS. My gen2 hatch cover is also wasting space in my garage. I'm glad Toyota changed to fabric in the gen 4. Take up less space. Should make it an option for those of us that don't want it.

Sarge likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    me too! welcome to the clearwater blue club!(y)

Sarge likes this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Thanks for the reply. I understand your viewpoint but I feel more cynical about the general public, since I am often downtown, and fairly often need to store valuables like a laptop computer, which I am rather partial to...

Yes, I did look in the small storage at the back, it is not there either. The EVSE was stored there and it was tested to work. The space is the perfect size for all my emergency items I used to carry under my floor in the gen 2. (Washer fluid, air compressor, traction aids, folding lug nut tire wrench, toque/gloves/scarf (for winter), and of course the EVSE). I do plan to pick up a tire plug kit to keep there as well, and I will keep the spare from my Gen 2 in the garage. No plans of using the tire goop, ever. :confused:

5. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I like that it is an exclusive colour for the PiP. Makes the car stand out a bit more than it already does. :cool:

bisco likes this.
  6. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is it exclusive to PiP? I hadn't noticed. Yeah don't use the tire goop. It's expected to be there when you sell it and since its Toyota OEM, it's overpriced. The tire place I go to also said they will charge a separate cleaning charge for the rims. And there's a myth the goop ruins the TPMS. Also, you have a tire change kit underneath the drivers seat. It still boggles my mind why Toyota included it since they provided a tire repair kit that does not require removing the wheel. I'm also double dipping my gen 2 spare tire for my PiP.

bisco likes this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Yes, I know there is a kit under the seat, though I haven't checked it out yet.

I have heard it ruins the sensors (whether it is true or not), I don't intend to find out.

I just keep a portable electric compressor in case I have a soft tire, and I will keep a spare at home (and have CAA (Canada's AAA)) should I ever get a flat that I cannot just pump air back into temporarily.

I generally stay in well-populated areas (and I generally pay attention to my car and things like tire pressure) so lack of spare never bothered me.

8. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Nice car and color! I just bought the same color last month. Mine is a '13 though with 30k miles. I mainly bought it for the carpool stickers regardless of the color but the color has grown on me.

mmmodem likes this.
  9. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep exclusive to the PiP and the 2012 - 2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid as well. Awesome color, immediately tell its another PiP.

10. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wait you're back to a PiP? Did I successfully convince you out of a 2016? :giggle:

11. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I use mine continuously. Right now there's a spare sun shade from my 2005 Prius laying on it to help with the sun at work.
    The one for the PiP is noticeably thinner, more flexible and lighter. I was always afraid if I put a little weight on it, it would collapse. With the 2005 Prius Tonneau Cover I've always felt I could use as a self defensive weapon.

12. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Me too, I always pulled the cover closed on my '06, except if I had something large or tall (like a trunk full of groceries or Costco purchases) in which case I would fold the lip backward and have the added vertical space up to the glass. When my kids were younger and one of them was in a stroller, I used to take my full-size Graco SnugRide stroller in the car by folding it up, standing it on the right side edge with wheels facing the back of the rear seat, with a single bungee cord running from one headrest to the other to hold it upright. Plenty of vertical space, and that left ~ 50% of the trunk for other stuff. The tonneau cover folded back was part of this (thus the relevance of this story :LOL:). Sorry I don't have a picture handy (and gave that stroller away last year), but a great example of the versatility of hatchbacks, and the Prius Gen 2 in particular.

As far as durability, I often used the cover as a convenient place to lay out my suit jacket between meetings, if I didn't feel like hanging it. It is fairly durable on the Gen 2.

13. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Haha. I went with the pip for the carpool sticker. My commute might get much worse soon and I wanted to be prepared.

mmmodem likes this.