1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got my 3M Clear Bra installed!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by That_Prius_Car, Sep 26, 2016.

1. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've always wanted this accessory but never bought it. Now, with my new 2016 in the beautiful "Hypersonic Red", I couldn't stand the thought of rock chips. So I ordered the full frontal for the hood, headlights, bumper, fenders, and side mirrors. Overall, I'm probably 90/100 satisfied.

There's a couple places here that aren't "perfect", yet I am a perfectionist. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about rock chips as much. Total cost for the kit and installation: $950.

Attached Files:

Dragon Rider, sttkailua and grape808 like this.
  2. sttkailua

sttkailua Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    TPC,

Cool!
    Looks like vinyl wrap?
    Guess not really like a normal front 'bra' protection that is
    removable.

stt

3. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I now understand the attraction.

After 25k miles I can report quite a few chips -- a half dozen or so that were visible when standing next to the car before dabbing them with a touch up pen.

Interestingly 100% of the chips were on the bumper piece, either at its front or the large corners.

With the Blizzard Pearl I also noticed quite a few scratches in the door handle cups. These don't go all the way through the paint but the extent of them kind of surprised me since no one with long nails drives the car. Might be worth thinking about.

RCO likes this.
  4. grape808

grape808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like the set up of a ghost story

5. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a 300ZX 1991 Pearl White new this never happen and that car was low . Toyota ask me in a survey about the scratch and chip. I told them that it was a lot in the front side of the car. What they will do i don't know .

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Do you or your spouse where rings? My passenger side door cup gets well scratched and pitted by my wife's rings.

MikeDee likes this.
  7. Scuderia Priusi

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Paint *does* chip easier these days. This is primarily due to the recent adoption of Low-VOC automotive paint in the industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact_of_paint
    tl,dr: VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) are good for paint but are bad for living things, such as us. Paint is mostly water-based these days.

How Waterborne Paint Is Changing the Auto Industry | SEMA
    tl,dr: This stuff is different and requires adapting. Fewer, but thicker coats of paint are now used. Race cars use thin paint layers to save weight.

TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION GLOBAL WEBSITE | 75 Years of TOYOTA | Products, Technology | Materials
    tl,dr: Toyota met it's low-VOC targets for their metallic base coat 10 years ago. They use a three-layer coating, twice-baked (potato) paint process. They also have a pretty cool scratch-resistant clear-coat process.

End result:
    Auto paint in general and Toyota paint specifically is more brittle due to baking, and being a single layer instead of multiple layers. Think of a flat sheet of wood is vs. a flat sheet of plywood - the plywood is much more puncture-resistant than a single layer of wood.

Solution:
    Add a clear, flexible, impact-absorbing layer over the top of the paint/clearcoat. This will help cushion the paint from a stone's impact, and if the impact is still strong enough to crack or deform the paint under it, the additional layer will also keep the paint chipped in place. Not exactly self-healing, but more like containing the damage and concealing/minimizing it. Which as experience with film wraps has shown, it does.

Conclusion:
    Wrapping the forward-facing surfaces of your car is now practically mandatory, if you want the paint to last (by minimizing chips and scratches at least).

RCO likes this.