1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got my windows tinted

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by saminjax, May 14, 2008.

1. saminjax

saminjax Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Congratulations, Bob! I bet it looks sharp on Barcelona Red. You should post some pics...

2. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Got my windows tinted today. Formula One, Pinnacle ceramic tint all around at 35% and the strip on the front windshield. I love it! I'm glad I decided not to go darker too. I'll try to post pics tomorrow.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i have the full windshield tinted and it does help with the heat. but i still plan to use the windshield shade during the day this summer.

4. eclipse3g

eclipse3g Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

I'd like to see you pics, as mine goes in on Tuesday (same silver color) and still haven't decided if I'll do 35 all around or 35 on the front glass and 20 on all the rear glass. Not doing anything with the windshield.

5. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll post a photo for you today. The difference in heat transfer is pretty amazing.

6. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a photo for you. I hope it helps you with your decision. I noticed an amazing difference in the coolness of the interior of the car today with the temps in the 90's outside. My wife even commented on how much the tinting helped. I did 35% all around. You can see the difference from the photo I used for my avatar when I first got the car. :)

Attached Files:

7. saminjax

saminjax Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've really noticed the difference in the coolness of the interior, as well. I love the way it looks on the outside, too. Yours looks great! :thumb:

8. eclipse3g

eclipse3g Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    mrblaise,

Thanks for the post of the picture, I like the look of the 35 all around, so thats what I'm going to have done to our baby.

9. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great! I think you'll like it. :)

10. canesfan

canesfan Culture shocked...

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got mine done today, 35% all around except the windshield. Looks great! Has anyone noticed that all the cars in the Prius brochure have tinted windows? Seems dumb not to have it as an option when it looks so nice in Toyota's brochures.

11. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Looks good!
    Yes, tinting the windows is a must. Weathertech deflectors are cool too - best in market IMO.

Wondering if you or anyone has had an issue with the front tint strip and adhesion over the defrost dots?

Also, any light color flecks in the tint on the mini-windows up front?

pics in my signature if your interested

12. saminjax

saminjax Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The tinter cut the tint around the defrost dots in the front tint strip. It looks like a straight line across when you are looking at it from the outside. I guess they thought the dots would cause problems. No light color flecks in the tint on the mini-windows up front, either.

I really like the deflectors - glad I went with Weathertech, instead of adhesive.

:):):)

13. canesfan

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My tint guy said that the area where the black dots are around the rearview mirror would look white if I did the tint strip. Didn't say anything about the adhesion, just that it would look different there. Given that, and the fact that there would be a definite line where tint strip stopped on the windshield I opted not to do the front strip. If I see one personally and I like the way it looks I might go back and get it done.

14. canesfan

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My tint guy did mention that he could cut around as described in the post, but I wasn't sure so I didn't do it. No flecks in my mini windows either. But he did say that if I thought something looked funny to give it two weeks before bringing it in because some things cure themself within that time frame.

15. saminjax

saminjax Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well, my front strip looks great. The tinter lined it up perfectly with the dotted pattern behind the mirror so that it looks like a straight line across when you look at the car. He cut the tint strips so that they curve around the edges of the dotted area.

16. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The dots are there to partially block the sun from around the mirror, not part of the defrost system. My tint guy went right across them. Apparently, you have to know what you're doing as the tint can bubble up there. But I used great tint material (Formula One ceramic) and my guy's been in business for 30 years and gave me a lifetime warranty. You can't beat that. :)

17. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And don't forget not to roll the windows down. I hit the lock button on my side so my wife doesn't forget too! The windshield strip is worth getting done. It really cuts down on the morning glare.

18. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My Weathertech deflectors are on the way. Can't wait.

I left the windshield clear but after reading all these posts maybe I'll stop back by the tint shop. When I asked about the windshield earlier they said the dots are fine but then they told me they remove the mirror and re-attach it. I wasn't too keen on that.

Now I'm reading that some shops trim around the mirror area. I might jut be able to live with that. They probably charge an extra $50. <SIGH>

Bob

19. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    cool. Fun waiting on deliveries, huh?
    Attached is a .pdf from Weathertech of a hand-drawn diagram for installing the deflectors(I had to call them twice - doah! They sent me this diagram).
    It's so much better than the included instructions, although both should be used for best results! :p

Attached Files:

20. saminjax

saminjax Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I got a lifetime warranty, too. It all looks perfect to me, so I probably won't need it, but it is good to have, in case...