1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got my windows tinted

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by saminjax, May 14, 2008.

1. saminjax

saminjax Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    BUMMER! I wonder if it's because of this very thread...

2. dropper

dropper Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Got mine tinted (35% all around, save the windshield) on Saturday:

(Notice the neighbor's Prius in the background)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More here.

Keith

3. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Here's mine with tint.

[​IMG]

link for more pics in my signature.

I went back and asked my dealer about the light color flecks in the tint on my smaller windows. he said they are dust particles and unavoidable, then I looked around and noticed his shop has a HUGE, tall garage door open during work hours - right next to a highway!!! Doah.
    He also didn't know what ceramic window film was.

4. Casey123

Casey123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I must say the vehicles in this thread with the window tinting look fantastic! All the vehicles I have owned in the past came with the standard factory tint which doesnt hold a candle to what I see can be done. Since I never had this done before I have a question or two about it. Is the tinting applied to the exterior of the glass? Whats the difference between metallic and ceramic tint? And how does the percent scale work for tinting? Is the higher the number the darker the tint?

5. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Casey ... 1. The tint is applied to the interior, 2. Ceramic tint is generally more expensive and thought to be better. I'm told that metallic tint may interfere with some electronics such as radio, nav, radar detectors, etc., 3 The percentage number is the amount of light that the tint allows in. Therefore the bigger the number - the lighter the tint. The smaller the number - the darker the tint.

6. pjb_aus

pjb_aus New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I purchased my Prius in December and got the windows tinted with ceramic film. We've had high 90 to 100 degree temperatures on bright sunny days this past couple of weeks and the tint has been great! That, in combination with a HeatShield makes the car very comfortable to get into, even with the windows closed.

I chose the ceramic tint because of possible interference with metallics but more so because I thought it worked well with my color car.

Attached Files:

7. leftie1277

leftie1277 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    looks really good man!

8. jjksutton

jjksutton New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I did 15% all around. It's dark but seems to be very common around Tampa anyways. I have to go to VA this summer for a couple months. I imagine I'll be stopped and have to remove the front window tint. If so, I guess I'll do it again when I get home.

My wife is getting hers in a couple weeks and she's going to go with 15% as well.

9. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

15% is illegal on front side windows in Florida (absent a medical certificate).

[SIZE=-1]Florida Statute 316.2953 Side windows; restrictions on sunscreening material.--A person shall not operate any motor vehicle on any public highway, road, or street on which vehicle the side wings and side windows on either side forward of or adjacent to the operator's seat are composed of, covered by, or treated with any sunscreening material or other product or covering which has the effect of making the window nontransparent or which would alter the window's color, increase its reflectivity, or reduce its light transmittance, except as expressly permitted by this section. A sunscreening material is authorized for such windows if, when applied to and tested on the glass of such windows on the specific motor vehicle, the material has a total solar reflectance of visible light of not more than 25 percent as measured on the nonfilm side and a light transmittance of at least 28 percent in the visible light range. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

A tint shop should not have installed it:

[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Florida Statute 316.2955 Window sunscreening material; compliance labeling; tolerances.-- [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1](1) Each installer or seller of sunscreening material shall provide a pressure-sensitive, self-destructive, nonremovable, vinyl-type film label to the purchaser stating that the material complies with the provisions of ss. 316.2951-316.2954. Each such installer shall affix the required label to the inside left door jamb of the motor vehicle. In addition, the label shall state the trade name of the material and the installer's or seller's business name. Labeling is not required for factory glazing which complies with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1](2) Every percentage measurement required by ss. 316.2951-316.2954 is subject to a tolerance of plus or minus 3 percent. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1](3) The department shall adopt rules approving light transmittance measuring devices for use in making measurements required by ss. 316.2951-316.2954. A witness otherwise qualified to testify shall be competent to give testimony regarding the percentage of light transmission when the testimony is derived from the use of an approved device. The reading from an approved device is presumed accurate and shall be admissible into evidence in the trial of any infraction arising under ss. 316.2951-316.2954.[/SIZE]

10. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    pics or ban JK

11. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

Removing the mirror is no big deal. The assembly slides on to a "button" that is permanently attached to the windshield. In Florida you can tint down to the "ASI" line on the windshield. (Florida Statute [SIZE=-1]316.2952.)
    [/SIZE]

12. jjksutton

jjksutton New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I know. Every shop I talked with in Tampa will. As a matter of fact, when I got my windows tinted on another car while living in Virginia, every shop I talked to there would tint darker than legal as well (50% there).

13. leftie1277

leftie1277 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    my shop here said I could get a darker tint, but I would have to pay cash...and they wouldn't give me a receipt that it was done there

I opted for the legal limit....

14. LittleT

LittleT New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Has anyone had trouble with the metallic window tint impairing the smart key sensors?

15. leftie1277

leftie1277 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    mine is just fine...no problems at all

16. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Been gone for a while so missed this a few days ago. What is the ASI line? Someone said the top 6" could be tinted.

I know about the button. I've had them fall off and had to reattach them. If they cut around the button, no problem. I just didn't want them to remove the button. It can be tricky getting them back on so they stay, at least in my experience.

Bob

17. CopaRich

CopaRich New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Huber Optik - $269

18. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It shouldn't. They don't rely on the signal going through the window; the external sensors are in the door handles.

19. conv65

conv65 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    After seeing all the cool pic of tinting I decided to have mind done as well. I just got mine back today and I am too cool for school. Got the job done for $180.00 out the door, that's the sides ,back glass, and windshield strip. It's like driving around under a shade tree. Have not drivin it at night yet so we will see how that goes.

Jim:juggle:

Attached Files:

20. Leslie_M

Leslie_M Waiting is the hardest part...

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Jim - how do you like that windshield strip? When I get my Prius I'm thinking about doing the windshield strip when I get my windows tinted. I've never had it done on any of my vehicles but my hubby had one put on his vehicle and he loves it.