1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got New Prius today.. what should i add?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by alfa737, Sep 9, 2011.

1. alfa737

alfa737 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got my new 2011 prius 2, black with grey leather this morning. I got to say I was quite surprised at the power and speed.

I bought it without a test drive so had no idea how it would drive but WOW. I put in power mode and it was zipping along the highway. I think i will keep it in power mode all the time.

I wanted to get the Navigation system but prius 5 was way too much compared to the 2. so what should i upgrade first?

ukulelegeek likes this.
  2. Judas Prius

Judas Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tint!!

Stereo upgrade is next on my list. I got the Two so I could have better sound and navigation for cheaper than what I would have paid for a Three.

Leather added aftermarket?

I have to ask... you bought it without a test drive?

Beware... in POWER mode all of the time will kill your gas mileage.

Welcome to PC!!

ukulelegeek likes this.
  3. alfa737

alfa737 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks Judas
    yes leather added by the dealer and i bought it without test drive caus it was a 2011 so i figured it would be up to par with the rest of the cars out there.
    i want to upgrade the radio but dont have an idea which one.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  4. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You do realize that power mode doesn't change the power delivered in the slightest, right? All it does is remap the accelerator / throttle curve. And some other adjustments like to the heating and cooling systems. It also doesn't affect your MPG, though I might encourage you to.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  5. alfa737

alfa737 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    wouldnt you get less MPG in power mode....it seemed the engine was running more louder in that mode.. i am new to this car so i dont know the exact power mode usage.. if it does not change the MPG then why not use it all the time?

ukulelegeek likes this.
  6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    PWR mode just makes the throttle more sensitive and aggressive than in normal mode. ECO is the opposite in that the pedal will need much more pressure to generate the same amount of acceleration. IOW, all three modes still make the same amount of horsepower and if you floor the pedal in all three mode, you will still get to 60mph at the same time and reach the same top speed.

Will PWR lower your mpg? Most likely yes; however, ECO mode also reduces a/c performance so it typically will raise your mpg if you can restrain your right foot. Eventually you'll tire of having to reset PWR mode each time you start the car and will keep in "normal" or ECO mode like most of us do. :)

Don't know where you live but here tinting is a must. The next thing I did was remove the plain looking hub cabs to reveal the nice aluminum wheels hiding beneath them.

ukulelegeek and Shibikku like this.
  7. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Power mode simply gives you more throttle response without needing to press the pedal further down. If you floor it in Power mode or Eco mode, you will get the same acceleration. Power mode makes the car "feel" zippier.

Why would you use other modes? Well, it would be more difficult to "glide" in power mode, as the accelerator pedal is touchy and slight pressure on it will quickly put you into the "power band" on the HSI. Normal or Eco mode are less touchy, thus easier to keep in the second big band.

Eco mode will modulate the air conditioner such that it isn't always compressing, thus saving you some fuel that would otherwise be used to power the A/C.

ukulelegeek and Max Taiwan like this.
  8. epi117

epi117 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    [​IMG]just took the hubs off on my 2011 blizzard, got center caps from toyota dealer, i love how they look[​IMG]

9. pfjmarina

pfjmarina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The first thing I added to our Prius was the OEM rear bumper protector. It's available at the Prius accessory shop. Without it you'll end up scratching up the rear bumper pretty quickly if you load stuff in the hatchback alot.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  10. deltanh

deltanh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was going to suggest the rear bumper protection also. I went with the Rear Bumper Applique. It looks great. Toyota Prius Accessories

I also had the windows tinted and that makes a big difference. I guess I went a bit overboard and had the 3M clear bra installed as well. My 09 Civic was a mess from road rash. Made me sick every time I cleaned it, guess I'm a bit anal about things like that. I want this car to look good for a long time.

So far I'm happy with the radio in my II. The only thing I miss with that is the lack of a USB port. Solved that with an IPod.

Don't forget the Weathertech Floor Mats and the same for the Cargo Area.

Enjoy

ukulelegeek likes this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats! Well what do you prefer?

For looks, there's the lower bodyside mouldings (stainless steel with a small HYBRID emblem on the back door), there are foglights. replace the interior and exterior bulbs with LEDs and take off the aerodynamic plastic wheel cover and expose those twin-spoke alloys (and you'll need centre caps). There's also the illuminated front door sills and just regular stainless steel rear door sills in PRIUS.

For convenience, you have a rear bumper protector, cargo net, cargo mat (or cargo liner if you prefer rubber), all season mats (ExactMats, WeatherTech or OEM. Note that US and Canada rubber mats are different).

There's an audio upgrade too

ukulelegeek likes this.
  12. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    +1 on the tint, removal of plastic wheel covers & install center caps, front clear bra. Then there's all sorts of things, like fog lights, underbody stiffeners, lowering springs, front strut tower bar, rear anti-sway bar. If you're mechanically adept, these don't cost that much on an individual basis if you can install yourself.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This debate has come up before. Obviously "Power Mode" doesn't change the vehicle itself. In other words, pressing power mode doesn't change engine size, or suspension...

But as you say, it does change accelerator pedal and throttle response ratios...to respond quicker and more agressively.

It's just a tool, like ECO mode, which is basically the opposite. But Power Mode is designed to make the Prius more agressive and responsive, which "potentially" could lead to lower MPG's than you would get NOT using Power Mode.

I know some have sworn in specific situations using Power Mode actually raises the MPG's...and perhaps it does. But I can't see how mapping your accelerator and throttle to be more agressive and responsive couldn't negatively affect your MPG.

I'm guessing if you drive in Power Mode like an angel...you'll get close to the same MPG's as if you drive in ECO mode like a devil.

But all things being equal, for most people just driving, I think you would usually see MPG benefit from ECO or Normal driving modes.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Normal Mode, btw, is when you push one of the mode buttons a second time, shutting it off. I'm getting to like Normal mode myself: ECO can get on the nerves sometime, response is too sluggish, and in my experience did not change mileage, comparing to ECO, at least not that I could notice. If you're using ECO it apparently changes AC performance to improve mileage, food for thought.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  15. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been experimenting with ECO v. normal modes and the A/C over the past few days. I found that setting the car in Normal mode on hot days helps the cabin cool down more quickly. ECO works great on controlling cabin humidity on those rainy cool days when running in normal at 70 makes the cabin feel cold and running with the A/C off makes the cabin feel clammy.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  16. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    ECO mode intentionally lowers fan speed and makes the a/c work less aggressively so on very hot days you'd definitely want to run normal at a minimum if cooling from the a/c is what you want.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  17. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is a 1:1 mapping of accelerator to throttle in both modes. Any throttle settings in power mode can be exactly mimicked in eco mode. And vice versa. Since MPG is related to throttle and not even remotely to accelerator position, the same MPG can be achieved in either mode (absent climate controls). For certain people, with ingrained habits of accelerating, power mode will in fact produce higher MPG, if their habits more closely match the optimal throttle behavior in that mode.

The change is all in the driver. In eco it is easier to make small variations in throttle response at lower values, while in power mode, small variations are easier at higher throttle values.

For me, personally, in my '07 with no modes, I find myself wishing for an eco mode rather than a power mode. Increased sensitivity is a huge help at lower throttle levels, while going fast is just a matter of stomping on the gas, no finesse required.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  18. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would definitely get the clear bra. Mine was about $850 and included a custom hood, custom mirrors (the XPEL pattern for our mirrors suck), full bumper and partial fenders with Prestige branded film. The paint gets a ton of chips very quickly and a clear bra is your best defense.

19. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Howdy,

1)Clear Bra 2)Tint 3)springs4)Wheels..on..on..!

20. alfa737

alfa737 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just put in the Husky liners for the floors and cargo area and they fit perfectly. i am geting my ogs shifter this saturday and then its time for the new Head unit :)

ukulelegeek likes this.