1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got no daddy issues, wish I had my dad back..

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ♡myPeeus, Sep 22, 2017.

1. ♡myPeeus

♡myPeeus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For all you guys out there owning Toyota Prius can you tell me how you get a mechanic shop to actually listen to what youre telling them? Whats the trick? A female enters any buisness that is ran by males get the fake treatment and false hope that you get an honest anser to your cars issues. This is the 4th time. I finally crawled under my car as far as my body could possibly, but know what I am looking for. Since the semi truck retread hit my car into the grill and out its butt I have had this hollow sound like a vacuum hose that is off, its unexplainable, the faster you go the louder the sound is. Ive had my brakes and tires checked, countless mechanics say its all good. Damn it its not. I feel like I have a hole in the floor while driving. Its ridiculous, I travel 200 miles every weekend alone and certainly dont need more trouble. Im exhausted and ready to skin a few people and make boots.
    At least then I could walk home if I broke down. So tired of games.
    The tire never touched my tires. It went in and was stuck about 50 yards and came unstuck and hit the next guy.
    Why cant people be honest. Is it that damn hard?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    something about the auto biz, i have the same problem.

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry, that's not in the service manual.

Seriously, I think a small shop that services a variety of models would be better than a dealer or limited model shop. Working on a variety of vehicles means that they have to actually think rather than just replay the standard mantra.

If you don't have access to the proper equipment to get under the car, an alternative is to drive one side up on a curb. That will give an extra 5 inches or so of better access. A piece of cardboard on the ground will protect your clothes. Or just wear something you were going to throw away anyway. That's what I do to change the oil, as it's easier than getting out the big jack and jack stands.

RCO, Mark57 and bwilson4web like this.
  4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Another thought is to take the car to a collision repair shop. They know about things like damaged fender liners and broken tiedowns. If the engine runs fine, it's probably not a disconnected hose. My guess is that some of that tread is still lodged somewhere under the car.

Trollbait likes this.
  5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    "It's supposed to do that" is the standard answer to anyone when the "problem" doesn't throw a code and will cost someone some time to diagnose or the job is more trouble than it is worth. Mechanics don't get paid for diagnostic time.

If you have a local vo-tech school ask the auto shop instructor if you can bring the car in for a look.

I'd get the car up on ramps to look for a damaged panel and a missing fastener.

RCO likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok, your location "US" is imprecise. Could we have a City or near-by City?

The reason is we can share the nearest independent, Prius mechanics who have a good reputation in PriusChat. Unlike the 'usual suspects' these are good people who are interested in our cars, not someone barely surviving on minimum wages (correction, I have no idea how they are doing!)

The car really needs to be on a lift so you can check all of the panels on the bottom to find where there may be a panel missing OR a loose end that can dip down at speed.

Let me suggest taking this problem description to the Gen-2 forums (Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting.) The good mechanics and clever people who hang out there can give you much better advice.

Bob Wilson

#6 bwilson4web, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    RCO, Trollbait and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The underside of the car has a plastic under body liner that may have been damaged and is causing the wind noise you're hearing or like RobH said something is still stuck under there. It may not be obvious from the side view. It may only get pulled down into the wind to make noise when you're driving at speed, making it less obvious when stopped. I've had small pencil size branches get caught under the body and make a lot of noise for their size.

You really have to find a way to get under it farther safely. A friend with a floor jack and stands. Or the other good suggestions above.

RCO likes this.
  8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Excellent idea. But a respected independent shop.......not a Toyota dealer.

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Flashlight......$1
    Rino Ramps..... $35
    Cell phone with digital camera........ <$100 (unless you're gullible)
    YouTube......free.
    PC Membership.......also free.

Telling Toyota that the Earth will be orbiting a cold, dead, star before you voluntarily drive YOUR car onto THEIR lot again.....Priceless.
    I wouldn't give the dealership mechanics an opportunity to ever ignore you again.

+1 to going to the G2 Maintenance sub-forum.
    A few pictures taken underneath your car and a new thread and you'll be off and running.......hopefully towards a solution.

10. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This doesn't apply to your current problem but you might want to think about it...

If you're a T-Mobile customer, get a Sync Up Drive. It will collect the OBD II codes and let you know what's wrong before you go to the shop and they have you over a barrel.

The device is about $100, not sure what the data plan is now, I'm on a old Simple Choice plan that's grandfathered in now.

I'm in the same boat, although I totalled my 2G and have a 4G now. Anybody know any good independent mechanics near the mothership?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid