1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got off work to a puddle on my passenger side floor.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PrimetimeHero, Jun 11, 2014.

1. PrimetimeHero

PrimetimeHero Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Went into work at 8:30. It was pouring rain. No leak. Haven't had an issue with leaking. Get off work at 5:30 and open my car door to a puddle on the passenger side. In Kansas, we get a lot of rain during the spring/summer. This is the first time anything remotely close to this has happened.

The only issue we've ever had has been with, what the dealership calls, condensation from the AC dripping within the car. Only happens on a hot day with the AC on full blast.

This puddle doesn't seem to be from condensation. Arrive at work, no water. Leave work, water. Doesn't help that it basically cleaned our dirty floor mats.

I've done a little bit of searching, but nothing directly pertaining to something like this. I'm not overly technical, so I can't exactly tear apart the car. I'm mostly just wanting any sort of guidance. We do have a warranty through the dealer but, naturally, they aren't very helpful with this.

It's a 2007 Prius. Purchased used from the dealership in November 2012. 102k miles on it.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

[​IMG][​IMG]

SM-G900T ?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe just a bad seal on the Windshield. Looks pretty dirty though. Spray it down real good with a hose and see if it'll leak again.

SM-N900P ?

3. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Well that sounds like a leak to me.
    What did the dealer DO about it ?
    It usually means that the AC drain hose is blocked or pulled loose at the top.

Don't completely dismiss that as the cause this time too.
    You won't notice the leak at first because it will be under the carpet and only becomes evident as it gets deeper and soaks through.
    More water runs down from the AC when you stop.

4. PrimetimeHero

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It had been raining non stop Sunday-Tuesday. Didn't happen until Tuesday. Why would it not leak two days prior?

SM-G900T ?

5. PrimetimeHero

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealer basically said we were crazy and imagining a leak. Didn't flush or even try to fix anything.

AC had not been running for three days. It's been cold out.

SM-G900T ?

6. PrimetimeHero

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, the water is dirty because it ran down our old dirty rubber mats.

SM-G900T ?

7. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Do you have a sunroof?

8. PrimetimeHero

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We do not.

SM-G900T ?

9. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    IF.....it was raining, it might have been damp enough for it to run for de-humidification, whether you had it turned on or not.
    Guess it's also possible that it is antifreeze.
    Maybe you should take it to the dealer NOW......with the water still pooled up on the carpet.

10. PrimetimeHero

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would've been a good thought yesterday, but we had plans to get to and there was no way I was going to just let water stand in there. We'll try to get to the dealer this weekend. Thanks!

SM-G900T ?

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check the trunk.

If there's any water under the tire you probably have a leak caused by a body crack or cracks in the hatch corners Many posts about that.
    Easy to search.

Open the hatch and right where the upper corners meet in the hatch well right off the hinges is where there's alot of body flex. Thats where the roof and the side pillars are welded together and puttied. You may see a crack coming from under the black plastic strip that runs the length of the roof where it ends at the hatch corners. Pop that black plastic strip up and look under there.

If no body cracks there you have an ac leak from the drip hose. And thats because the ac system has not been maintained.

No posts about windshield leak except those who have been in a front end accident and have had the windshield replaced and performed poorly.

ladycdw likes this.
  12. PrimetimeHero

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Turned the AC on after work today and got a little leakage. Will see what I can do this weekend

SM-G900T ?

13. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    This is a fairly common problem as cars get older.
    Over the years, several home remedies have been tried.
    This from reports from others:
    Do NOT try blowing back UP the drain hose to un-clog it. All the crud, part of which probably is MOLD, will be blown all over the AC coil and inside the duct work.......making one HELL of a mess; sometimes a stinky one.

If the drain hose is plugged up, running a soft wire up the hose (like copper), followed by a good suck with a shop vac. sometimes has good results......sometimes.

A dis-assembly of the duct work and a thorough cleaning is the only really good fix......but that is complicated and thus expensive on most cars.

14. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I found this video on youtube, it may help solve your issue:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    WOW. Once again Toyota has a better idea. :)
    That's amazingly easy compared to most other cars.

IF in the video, the left side of the hose goes to the AC evaporator and the right side is the discharge to the outside,
    the example shown indicates that the drain hose is plugged and not the collection tray, which is usually the problem.

EXCELLENT contribution though. If you can put it up on a rack and access the end of the hose, maybe just one good suck would do the whole thing.

16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dealer fix is the 2 can spray. One can has the attachment to the hose. $25 per kit. Once the blockage is removed I recommend doing the cleaner can twice as it appears the e-coil box is pretty gunked up. Maybe a smoker.
    Need to do it at least once a year. I do mine when I change the oil.

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The video's method is a good idea. Would work for fridges too I think. Thanks for linking this. Love also the dramatic sound track, and the "duck" tape. ;)

Daves09prius likes this.
  18. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The problem with THAT is that the dense "mechanics" fail to clear out the blockage, wherever it may be, BEFORE applying the sanitizer/
    deodorizer. There seldom is a real problem unless and until the collection tray stops draining properly.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Applying vacuum at the 2 hoses as shown in the video is never going to cause issues. It's pulling stuff back up the drain hose, in reverse direction, likely highly effective with any blockage. And when suction is applied to the AC side hose, it's for sure not going to be putting any gunk back into it.

20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Went to my dealer today and Southeast Toyota no longer uses the spray can with the special hose made by Service Rite for under dash evap cleaning. I asked the parts guy what are they using now instead and he did not know.

Here's a cheaper alternative that seems to be the same stuff: