1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got pulled over because I was driving a hybrid

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dbotello, Sep 4, 2006.

1. msmit002

msmit002 Junior Member

We like to kid my sister about this all of the time... She met her husband (a MD State Trooper) for speeding with her brand new (at the time) Nissan 350Z. Anyway, I am not sure *exactly* how they came to the arrangement of the ticket, but 2 years after that 'meeting' they were married. :lol:

2. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ekpolk @ Sep 5 2006, 01:12 AM) [snapback]314410[/snapback]</div>

I KNOW!!!!

Where does a policeman drive his car....ANYWHERE he wants.

Suspect- "why did you stop me"
    Officer- "Because I can!"

Suspect- "Why am I being arrested?"
    Officer- "I don't know...when we get to the jail, I'll lookl something up!"

I tell all my young officers....with all the various traffic codes, I can follow any car 1/2 mile and stop them for some violation. WOW, WHAT POWER!!!!!!

(yes, tongue in cheek)

3. ebethsdad

ebethsdad New Member

Several years ago an episode of the show I was working on shot in Center, TX. Our crew was quartered in Nacogdoches around 40 miles away. Being mostly California folk those long, straight, almost empty roads were tempting. After all in most of California the speed limit is considered to be 10 mph over what is posted. Not so in Texas. I think our van drivers suffered something like twelve tickets in the six weeks we were there. The local constabulary would come to lunch at the set, and then lay in wait when our shooting day was over. All's fair in love, war, and Texas justice.

On the way to the Houston airport I discovered the underlying motive. In most of rural Texas the revenue base for police salaries comes from traffic tickets. I don't know if that's the case for your Houston episode, but it was the problem for our crew.

4. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    WHAT?! They get money from tickets?! What utter revelation! no wonder they love pulling people over!

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ekpolk @ Sep 4 2006, 10:12 PM) [snapback]314410[/snapback]</div>
    My colleagues and I generally refer to it as Arrogance of the Badge.

If I were in the shoes of the OP, I would have filed a complaint with the Texas DPS internal affairs section.

6. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Except for one brief (3 weeks) in Florida, I have lived in Texas all my life - worked in 34 states through the years - MUCH AIRLINE TIME.

Whether I was in violation or not, I have found the Texas Troopers courteous and considerate when they stopped me. Seems that's not always the case for "Local Yokels" (Sheriff Deputies and City Police) who may indeed be motivated by revenue. I make it a point to respond to an Officer with respect and most often receive the same treatment in response. Another habit of mine: If I see an Officer in a restaurant, I frequently go up and just say "Thanks!" I have never been stopped without cause in 60 years of driving experience. In town, I usually drive about 10% above the posted limits - same on freeways and Interstates, traffic permitting.

7. s.e.tx_parrothead

s.e.tx_parrothead New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    US 59 runs right through my hometown and yes, some of the towns between Lufkin and Houston are notorious for speed traps. One of the Houston TV stations did a report on small town speed traps and most of them were on 59. I also travel I-45 quite a bit as that is the way to parents' home. I have only been stopped a few times in my lifetime and the last time was the worse. I think I got a rookie cop...ugg!!! I am a Parole Officer and I carry a badge and the ya-ya was giving me hell about where my ID was that went with my badge.

I come from a family of law enforcement officers and I have many family friends who are in law enforcement and have nothing but respect for them. But there is a fine line of when they become a**es and when they do their job...mind you it is a job I don't want but I truly respect. For those of you on here that are law enforcement officers..thanks!!!! :D

Sorry if I got off topic, but I had to speak my mind...I have never known any one to get pulled over just because some one wanted a look at a car. I know that I normally drive 5-7 miles over the speed limit and that 5miles over is acceptable most times. Hubby has worked in law enforcement before and the norm was don't pull them over unless they were over 5 miles over the posted limit. He said it was something to do with the calibration of the radar unit and that 5 miles or less over the speed limit would be hard to prove in court if the radar wasn't calibrated correctly or in some instances at all.

8. FreshAirGuy

FreshAirGuy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbotello @ Sep 4 2006, 01:34 AM) [snapback]313805[/snapback]</div>

Texas DPS officers are usually very competent but guys are guys.
    Are you sure it was the car they were checking out?
    Two Latin(a)s in a Prius.
    Who wouldn't check them out.
    Just kidding of course.
    I am an old Latino who drives a Prius and never gets check out.

9. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was pulled over last week (In VA) while driving down to NC on vacation from MA - I wish he pulled me over to check out my car. Unfortunately the speed limit was 55 and I was doing 72. This was hour 5 or 6 of driving after having spent the night in Philly.. I was not very pleased!