1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got rear-ended at a stop light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mtsarpilot, Nov 8, 2006.

1. mtsarpilot

mtsarpilot Junior Member

Stopped at a traffic light, I got hit from behind by an inattentive college kid. She called her mom who came over real quick, actually getting there before the police. She immediately reassured me she would take care of things and make sure everything got covered. Turns out we both have not only the same insurance (State Farm) but also the same agent in town. Certainly made the claims filing a lot easier.

I decided to have Toyota do the estimate and repairs. Thankfully she was not moving very fast, so the bumper appears to have taken it all. There appears to be no bent metal or frame damage. She was driving a Ford Explorer and the bumpers were at the same height, the scraped up areas of the Prius bumper are just below center top to bottom. The sides of the bumper popped off the body side metal so it looked a lot worse than it was. Toyota just popped those back in place so the car looks better until the repairs next week. So far it looks like just replacing the cosmetic portion of the bumper. If the crush pad under the bumper is compressed at all then they will replace it as well, as that is the thing that enables a bumper to take the low speed impacts and once crushed, it won't take the next one.

Are there other things I should be watching out for as we head into this repair?

2. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Open your trunk and look at the trunk floor (where the tire sits). Check for any "ripples" above and below the floor.

And maybe even check if the rear quarter panels shifted (rare).

3. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Sounds like the bumper actually did what it was supposed to do, for once. Since you're not paying for it, you shouldn't have to worry. If it needs replacing, they'll find it. It means more money for them.

4. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Glad to hear it wasn't worse for you!

5. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mtsarpilot @ Nov 8 2006, 10:46 PM) [snapback]346046[/snapback]</div>
    My sympathies, hopefully everything gets fixed like before.

I also had someone rear-end me Tuesday night on the way home from work. I was on the middle lane of the highway in bumper-to-bumper in the rain rolling ~ 20MPH when this kid in an old Sentra comes flying up the left-hand lane and cuts off the car behind me... problem was traffic was slowing and he was going to fast. Saw him coming fast, tried to inch forward to give a bit more stopping space, I heard his tires lock up on the wet roads and.... BUMP. <_<

Checked the damage and pulled over. Some of his paint rubbed off on mine, which came off by simply scratching with the finger nail. Appears to be a bit of a scuff, but should buff out fine with a little compound. I took the guy's information just in case.

I have to go to the body shop soon anyway to get the left corner of my rear bumper painted from the last moron who hit & run my car in a parking lot this summer :unsure: , so I will have them check it out.

On top of that, I got those license plate bolt tattoo on my rear bumper two days after getting the car. My rear bumper has really been through the ringer... :mellow:

I hate morons who can't drive, and why do they always seem attracted to me when I have a new car? :angry:

/rant

6. c4

c4 Active Member

I got rear-ended earlier this year as well, they ended up replacing the bumper cover, the absorber as well as the actual bumper beam, and doing some body panel work (the rear quarter panels bowed outwards very slightly- I only noticed because the rear passenger door sudden didn't close as nicely as before, so check the door gap spacings etc- if they are not exactly even all the way down, the body panels may have moved and will have to be fixed). Considering that it was a Toyota body shop (and the only Toyota body shop in town unfortunately), the body panel work was not particularly well done- you can see some ripples in the panel if you know where to look, and in their prep, it looks like they sanded through the galvanization around the lips of the wheel wells, etc so I'm worried about rust, particularly because the sanding damage is on the quarter panels, and around the wheel wells, where all that salt slush from winter will accumulate.. They also had to repair the seat rails on the driver's seat as they apparently bent slightly from the impact and the seat would no longer slide smoothly after the accident..

Anyways, the job was paid by the other party's insurance, and came to over $3k (Canadian), not including the cost of my rental car, etc. His car needed a whole new front end- bumper cover, bumper, radiator, etc, so I'm sure he'll be paying higher rates for his insurance next year..