1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got rear ended today on 71 northbound near Pomona

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DTM255, Dec 20, 2010.

1. DTM255

DTM255 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Anyone think the car is a total? I got it just over a month ago. It has 1000 miles on it. Prius II.

2. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I say total loss.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds totaled to me...judging by the estimates you've quoted, KBB will give you the retail value of the G3-II, and you can determine the percentage of this value that your claim will be.
    You can never tell with insurance companies though.

I'd plan for anew car if it were me. Once the word 'accident' was attached to your VIN the resale value of your car took a really big hit. If the company refuses to total out the vehicle, you may want to trade it in after it's fixed.

Good Luck!

4. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad that all are well.. good to know the safety of the Prius is solid!

5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd be very surprised if it wasn't a total...

6. DTM255

DTM255 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It's a total.

7. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    A more apropos comparison would've been FOX and MSNBC (FOX is merely controlled opposition anyway for the most part). ;-) "Fair and balanced" is such a farce anyway...how about the truth? The glaring lack of any mention of it is all I need to know about FOX (and the same goes for the rest of the fourth estate...yes, I have equal hate and disdain for MSNBC and CNN).

Sorry, OT rant ova'! :D

8. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    what do you think you will replace it with?

9. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So sorry to hear and know how thankful you are to be OK. Glad to hear its a total too.

Get another Prius...You obviously enjoyed your last one and other than a Volvo (an old one) you wont really find a safer car.

10. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As a person who has been rear ended 4 times (yeah I4 is that crazy)...a word of advice. I now always drive in the right or left lane...preferrably the left (drivers are typically more alert in the left lane though I can see that did not help your familiy)...If I have to stop I move to the left side of the lane and point my nose towards the emergency lane leaving some space between me and the guy in front. I then watch my mirror for the guy comming up from behind.

I once thought the person comming up from behind was moving to fast and I just shot forward into the emergency lane. He went right through my spot and struck the car that was in front of me.

Now I always practice this tactic. 12 years now and no rear end on a highway...knock on wood.

1 person likes this.
  11. DTM255

DTM255 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think I am going to skip a few years before I get another Prius. I love the ride and MPG, but we just don't feel comfortable riding with a baby anymore. We were thinking about getting another Prius and never drive my baby in there, but then the reason we got a new Prius was to drive him around. I am going to look at Subaru Outback, Mitsubishi Outlander, or Kia Sorento, maybe Hyundai Tucson.

12. sunvia

sunvia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i know the area well,,,,used to swim at prado dam in the 50's.....so you know i'm old...lol
    hope you have full replacement coverage for a new prius.... so far there's nothing else to
    compare with prius.....and you know that it's a safe car....just can't do much about those
    loonies who are also on the same roads..

13. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The selections from Subaru are very good. The Mistsubishi Outlander looks pretty significant. I'm not sure I'd opt for Kia or Hyundai. If you want to go bigger, then go bigger. Also consider Toyota Highlander.

Thought it would be totaled. Be careful, the insurance company will try to low-ball you on the settlement, and because it's the other guy's insurance that has to pay, they will try even harder. They will offer something ridiculously low, you will have to fight it, hopefully your insurance company will help. Keep mentioning the the pain you and your wife are experiencing, BUT NEVER EVER sign a release on the medical stuff. You don't know what injuries may have occurred and they could be long-lasting.

Best of luck. Don't trust anyone, especially their insurance company, you even have to be wary of your own insurance company. Again, NEVER EVER sign a release on the medical stuff.

14. DTM255

DTM255 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks for the advice, I will pay attention to those. I got a lawyer earlier this week. Hopefully they will watch out for those things too.

15. wogue

wogue Lexus CT200h

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hopefully you don't get hit by an suv in your upcoming suv... :)
    i read about those things in the us: inssurances telling people to buy bigger cars to 'feel' more savely, lower fees for big cars.
    thats totally different here in europe.

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hopefully you are considering these cars for reasons other than safety, as I don't believe you will gain anything in terms of your child's safety. When you consider rollover risk, you are probably trading for a less safe option.

Tom

17. Michaelk

Michaelk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Very glad to see you and the family came through well. Someone was taking care of you. I have just started driving a Prius on a daily commute. Do you feel it took care of you well?

Blessing to you and the family,
    Michael

18. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm thinking knowing how to drive, and driving a car with a very good safety rating, and airbags, has more to do with it. But, hey.... just my opinion.

19. DTM255

DTM255 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think the Prius protected us very well. Without the baby I would get another one right away. But after the accident, we feel more secure with a different car to drive our baby in.

20. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally, I wouldn't be driving a Prius if I had a 3 month old, but that's just me.