1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got red triangle and P lock error while driving on highway

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bikeking19, Sep 20, 2022.

1. bikeking19

bikeking19 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was on a road trip this weekend and all of a sudden while I was driving the red triangle came on and I got the P lock error message on the dash. After some research I discovered common causes are the 12v battery and the 7.5 fuse along with the blue wire in the fuse box, so I spent some time troubleshooting, measuring voltages etc. I have a good toyota battery that's less than two years old, even replaced it with an AGM from Oreillys to no effect. I have took all accessories off and even though I was getting voltage at the 7.5 fuse I went ahead and jumped it anyways to the blue wire and still nothing.
    Attempted fixes:
    New 12v Battery
    Jump started in addition to 12v battery
    Pulled and waited on 7.5a fuse
    Pulled neg cable for 2min
    Jump wired 7.5a fuse to Blue #4 wire in harness
    Checked all fuses under hood
    Stepping on and off of parking brake a lot
    Power on off.
    Evenually for some unknown reason it will shift and drive normally and get great mileage with no noticeable loss other than obviously cruise control with the red triangle. Any ideas for next steps? I build advanced electronics for a living so not opposed to diving into wires and fuses and relays and troubleshooting just need to know what to look for. Maybe the transmission control module I think someone had and that fixed it?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Obd2 code reader connected and get codes i n o v a inova is a decent brand that can get most of the codes you may need and there's a gajillion other code readers too but probably a good place to start. No matter how good you are in electronics you might want to start with getting the basic codes.

SFO likes this.
  3. bikeking19

bikeking19 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm getting a P3102 code. Also the park button flashes, when you get it running and shifting properly, it seems to go into park but there is no square on the dash to indicate that it is, the square is just gone.

#3 bikeking19, Sep 21, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk if that is your problem, but there are some interesting posts in there

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ideally you would use a more capable scan tool- P3102 has 7 different INF (sub) codes. Having that would give a better idea about what the hybrid ecu doesn't like about the trans control ecu.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.