1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got T-boned by a car doing 60, no air bags?

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by See my Prius, Nov 20, 2017.

1. See my Prius

See my Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Loved my 2013 Prius C, but now its gone. Was doing 3-5 mph in the parking lot of a shopping center when someone on the highway decided they didn't want to be on the highway anymore but forgot about that whole slowing down thing. Luckily hit right behind driver door. Bent axle, frame, wheels, etc etc.... No airbags. Thoughts? I am not ok, but I'll certainly live.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Would any of the airbags have done any good in this case?

The front ones certainly should not fire from a straight T-bone impact. That doesn't apply to the side bags.

I'm also uncertain whether your 3-5 mph speed would restrict any deployment. You hitting any solid object at such low speed should certainly not trigger them. But getting hit by a fast object while moving slow? I don't know enough about the device rules for that.

3. See my Prius

See my Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm def hurt, but don't know that they would have helped. I didn't even know I had side or head airbags until doing a little more research recently.

More of a curiosity thing than me assuming equipment malfunction. It was more of a backwards K impact than a T bone. The car hit me at an angle.

4. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If your body and head were slammed against your door then I would think your side bags should have deployed.

5. davidc83

davidc83 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Five
    I don't know the mph needed for the Prius; however, in my jeep Cherokee, unless the jeep is moving greater than 25mph, none of the airbags deploy-the vehicle has to be moving at a certain mph before airbag activation. I have hit deer with the jeep at less than 25mph-major damage to front end but no air bag deployment - this has happened in two different jeeps. I was stopped on interstate in ford fusion, got rear-ended, no airbag but Ford ranger which hit me had airbag delayed with front hood folded in half

Z917VL ?