1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got that scratch.

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Fauxknight, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    This is an interesting condundrum. Our insurance environment is undoubtedly different - although the same concept would most certainly apply here - there's a good incentive to try to keep a small claim off your own insurance, the environment we have now is that if I have any incident at all with my car and there is another party at fault, I'm supposed to get their details from them (which need not include their insurance info, but it would save them a difficult call if they could name the company they are insured with) and nothing more. At this point my contact with the other driver would be at an end.

I then would be expected to contact my own insurer ASAP, tell them everything about the incident and give them the details of the other driver.

At this point my vehicle would enter my insurer's system and all my dealings would be with them. Each insurer here is different in how they handle it, but the assessment, quotes and repairs would be ultimately managed by them and they would look after any claims against the other driver and/or their insurance.

If I was faced with this scenario the problem would be is that if I dealt with the other party directly, I would forever damage my ability to ensure I was fully covered for the incident if the situation evolved, for example, during the repair process. Also, my insurer covers all work with a Lifetime Guarantee and is obligated to use new genuine Toyota parts during my warranty period and beyond that, they are obligated to use new or recycled genuine Toyota parts for as long as they are available. Everything else would be Someone Else's Problem.

I don't think I'd risk it. I'd feel really really bad for the other party - I've previously been in that situation and changed insurers as a result (because despite my no claim history and protections, my old insurer utterly skyrocketed my premiums over a minor incident), but not sufficiently bad to expose myself to risk.

Personally I'd never be interested in pocketing the cash. I'd want my car fixed as well as possible.