1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got the C1391 Pump constantly buzzing every 4 seconds

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by johnnychimpo, Dec 25, 2021.

1. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    so with a base model with 200k Im out of luck? I did not wan to go and pay for a diagnosis only to half to pay for something I already knew.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you did not have bad luck you would have no luck at all. Read the last paragraph.

3. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes I did read it, whats the apeals process look like I depend on the car and cant wait around too long.

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    There are two separate Toyota programs:
    • Safety Recall D0H requires replacement of the brake booster pump assembly on certain 2010 Prius cars, but only if the VIN is within one of the covered ranges and the accumulator has a horizontal label, as shown on page 8 of the Technical Instructions (PDF). There is no time or mileage limit, but after the part has been replaced once, or if the accumulator already has a vertical label, this recall no longer applies.
    • Customer Support Program ZJB covers replacement of the brake booster assembly and brake booster pump assembly in certain cases. For model year 2010, however, as @rjparker kindly mentioned, the primary coverage expired on November 30, 2019, and the program now applies only until “10 years from the date of first use or 150,000 miles,” according to the dealer letter (PDF). After that, the problem could still happen—DTC C1391 suggests that it has—and the repair instructions in bulletin T-SB-0079-18 Rev1 (PDF) would still be valid, but Toyota hasn’t promised to cover the cost.
    Prius v models are covered instead by Customer Support Program 20TE07 (PDF), for which the primary coverage doesn’t expire until December 31, 2021.

5. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would get the diagnosis. You do have the needed code and symptoms, do not clear it.

There are many different versions of these parts with the same housing numbers so buying used can be a minefield. Housing numbers are not part numbers. You might get a bad part; you might get the wrong program version (each of which has a unique part number). The dealer could give you a reduced price. A lot depends on your relationship with the service advisor.

#25 rjparker, Dec 26, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
    Elektroingenieur likes this.
  6. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I cant find the part on the Toyota site anyone know what I should serch under? IM just looking at cost for the part worst case scenerio.

7. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just called the local dealer they want 2200 just for the part.

8. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There are two parts usually replaced at the same time. One is called "master cylinder" and another is called "pump assembly". Book time is around six hours. That is why its worth a diagnostic fee, eg maybe you only need one and perhaps you can get a discount or free repair.

These are the parts for a v wagon. In normal times $2400 would be a dealer repair.

Attached Files:

#28 rjparker, Dec 26, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
  9. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Called the dealer and they said if it is this part they will replace it. we have two dealer and the one closer to me has a habit of up charging an extra 25% on top I called three local dealers for the water pump and they all said 290 this local dealer to me wanted 400. I hate those guys. I once needed a timing tensioner gasket all dealers were like 8 bucks this dealer wanted 20 bucks I only got it cause. at five traffic is murder in those parts it would take 1 hr just to get ther so I figured to save time and money is was worth the price gauge.

10. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    as dealers are owned independently when there is a nationwide recal who pays for that? The dealer itself or Toyota corp, So I take it the dealer would be happy to do it since toyota corp picks up the bill right? so it would be in the interest of the dealer to do the recall as corp always pays in full and on time.

11. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Its not a recall. Its a customer support program. Toyota pays if they agree with the dealer its covered. They pay a reduced labor rate and the dealers don't get to markup the parts. So some dealers would rather not have Toyota pay especially if they are busy. It seems you are always trying to talk your way out of doing the smart thing hoping to save a nickel or a dime.

AD8F4EB4-1E62-45FB-868F-978BCF42D045.jpeg

12. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the info I do truly appreciate it. I have never heard of customer support program. Not trying to talk my way out of anything, there is just so much conflicting information its hard to see what the facts are then some info is kinda stale and I need the car for work so I weigh the cost of paying for rides time lost waiting for dealer to decide if they will fix it then ordering the part etc.... I can just buy the part install it myself on the weekend and have AAA take the car to the local mechanic to bleed it and call it a day. So im getting a diag right now and the service manager was already saying only recall is on the booster but that expired last year so I guess at least I will get a exact diagnosis. Unless you have suggestions on what to tell them to swing them in the direction of fixing it under the customer support program.

13. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sorry... thought u had a v.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The "dealer letter" link that Elektroingenieur kindly shared in #24 is the official communication from Toyota about the Customer Support Program ZJB. By going directly to that you avoid the problems of "so much conflicting information its hard to see what the facts are then some info is kinda stale."

As you can see on its first page (page 2 in the PDF, after the cover letter), for 2010 model year Prius, the primary coverage expired on 30 November 2019. If you were still under 150,000 miles and under 10 years from the date of first use, you would be covered under the secondary coverage, but if either of those things is not true, then you're not.

15. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I see then this is not covered then, Im at 200k and 12 year old car. Man I tell you I had 2004 prius went 250K not one problem oil changes and tires, not even breaks. All that reliability equity that car gave me towards buying the 2010 has been lost if its not this its that I have egg on my face telling all my friends the prius is the best car you can get for cost of ownership yet they hear now what are fixing now seems your car is always broken. Not in my case it seems every 4 months its something else. I think after this repair im looking at th HV battery next. I will definitely do way more research on my next purchase and not just go on my experience with the previous model.

Tim Jones likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, unfortunately, toyota really dropped the ball on gen 3

Tim Jones likes this.
  17. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So expired in 2019 had to be 150k or less or less than ten years ownership....and you need to have the C1391 how are you supposed to meet all the criteria if the code is not present. I mean its not broken till its broken. on the bright side here I will for sure know what is wrong and fix it accordingly. So to recap
    new to me/used
    Engine from gen 4 2016 60k miles
    used trans from 2015 80K miles
    new water pump
    new thermostat
    new tires
    new brakes
    refurbed EGR
    so after this and a refurb HV battery IM pretty much at newish car status would we agree on this???

bisco likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    once you've done the actuator, i would say yesish :p

19. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  20. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Not sure how I got on the Hatchback forum....... show's how much attention I'm really paying.....