1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got the call in TX. Buy or wait - advice?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by enerjazz, Jul 22, 2004.

1. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    When I was at Classic Toyota (Round Rock, tx) getting the flash update, they told me that if the customer requested it, that "Great Stuff" could be left off. Now I think that GST is putting it on take it or leave it (their way or no way)... that is why I got mine from Ca... had a nice drive there... and back... and 1000 off MSRP (sweet)

2. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Those who want to listen to tapes and don't have the JBL CD with cassette can buy an FM transmitter, asmall thingy that plugs into the headphone jack of a portable device, $15-30 at Best Buy, Circuit City etc) and a small cassette player(Walkman) and then tune their radio to an empty frequency and listen to the tape that way. I have tried it($ 19.95 Best Buy) and the quality is fairly good without having to worry about upgrades.

3. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Don't tell anyone, but I have a #9 and I have my SS/SE disabled! And I like it that way.

4. mshappe

mshappe New Member

This is the solution I intend to use for my iPod if I don't wind up with the upgraded sound system. I almost never listen to cassette tapes, but I currently use a cassette tape adapter for my iPod...

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Any particular reason for not using it? I can understand someone taking a package that doesn't have it (package availability, cost, etc.) but why not use a nifty gadget if it's there?

6. mshappe

mshappe New Member

I'm curious about this, myself. While I'm not interested enough to demand the feature on my car, I suspect I'm going to use it if it's there (at least, until the first time it glitches out on me :-D )...

7. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I live in Fairview, just north of Dallas. I went to dealers in Rural areas to get a quicker delivery. I am buying from a dealer in Longview, TX. Got a call today from a dealer in Marshall, TX with an unclaimed white #4 coming in August. The DFW area dealers are all charging very high deposits and big markups over MSRP.

I think my dealer could stop the port package, but he seems reluctant since there is profit in there for him. If I had to do it over I would have joined a list at a New Mexico rural dealer and bought there.

For those curious about the $930 Port Package B that Gulf States is pushing it contains:
    Cargo Net (useful)
    Carpet Mat Set (5 pc) (also useful)
    First Aid Kit (overpriced band-aids)
    Fabric Guard (not needed)
    Rear Bumper Protector (a thin piece of plastic)
    Custom Tape Stripe (I don't even want a stripe)
    Wheel Locks (who the *#@@ is going to steal my wheels)
    Road Hazard Tire Warranty (I've had one flat in 27 years of driving)
    Extra Mile Extended Life Tires (requires more explanation below)

The tire warranty says that if you rotate your tires at a Toyota dealer (and pay them) at a specified interval, then this program will buy your next set of tires within 6 years or 100k mi. I'm sure I'll spend more on tire rotation charges than new tires would cost me eventually.

Paul

8. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can get books on cd, but the selection is very limited compared to tapes.
    Plus I need one so I can plug my Ipod in with the tape adapter thinggy.

Oh well. There goes another $250

Alpha

9. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It just seems... wrong. I don't know how to explain it really. I guess I like the idea of locking and unlocking the car myself, and am not comfortable with the idea of it doing it on it's own. Or doing it when it shouldn't.

Other than that, I do love everything else included with package 9.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You still lock the car yourself, by pressing the smart-lock button. And you unlock it by touching the inside of the door handle while the fob is within range (e.g., in your pocket). With a non-smart fob you unlock the car by pressing the button on the fob. The only difference is where the button is: fob or door handle. Either way, you press a button and the fob communicates with the car. One way you have to pull the fob out of your pocket; the other way you don't. There have been no reported cases of the car unlocking itself when it shouldn't. There may be the occasional glitch when the door handle does not respond, and then you have to press the button on the fob, just as with a non-smart fob. And you can always use the mechanical key hidden inside the fob.

11. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Lol, I'm exactly on the opposite side of the fence on that one. I wouldn't buy another car if it didn't have the SE/SS system. It's performed absolutely flawlessly for me.

Dave

12. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bottom line... just can't bring myself to trust it. Makes me feel happier knowing there's no way it will unlock unless I tell it to.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This is just my opinion, but I believe the chances of an unauthorized or spontaneous unlocking are the same either way, as either way the car would need to think that it had received a correct transmission.

If you don't trust the SS/SE, you'd be better off getting a car with no fob at all: just an old-fashioned lock. Of course, it's easier to pick a lock than forge a fob transmission, whether plain or smart.

However, of course, it's your car, and you get to decide to disable SS/SE if you want to.

14. Keller Prius

Keller Prius New Member

I too bought my Prius in the D/FW area. I went to Texas Toyota that said the $900 package was non-negotiable, so I went somewhere else...(Freeman). That is not a port add-on, it's a dealer add-on and all profit.