1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got the nail today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bigj3347, May 23, 2006.

1. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As i was heading for work today, i noticed this weird flapping noise coming from the back of my car, as I sped up the frequency and intsenity of the flopping noise increased as well. I figured something was wrong so i pulled in to the next shopping plaza and found out I had a nail in my right rear tire. I'm running on my spare right now and that thing is just about the ugliest thing imaginable. Anyways, my question now is, these were my stock integrities, I've got 2,7000 miles on them already. I've been religiously rotating them every 5k miles so the wear is really even. Should I replace all four of my tires now? Wouldn't it be uneven tread wear if i only replace one? I'm hoping they can repair it but I do not know, the flat seemed pretty bent out of shape.

If I were to replace, I'd want to get the Goodyear comfortreads, what is the size of the prius tires that I need? Where can I get them? Does Costco carry them? Is there a reputable chain tire store that does? How much am I lookign at here? I'm sorry for all the questions, but I have no expereience whatsoever with tires.

Oh btw, the toyota oem jack is the worst jack I've ever used, barely raised the prius high enough for me to swap the spare and the handle is really hard to turn, I had to keep my left hand on the shaft while my right hand cranked it or else the handle will just slide off. Anyways, it worked, and i guess thats the most important thing.

2. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigj3347 @ May 23 2006, 07:44 PM) [snapback]259998[/snapback]</div>

Hi.. I'm guessing you mean 27,000 miles.. If it's repairable, it comes down to a choice of repair and get as many miles as you can... or just takle the plunge now. I got a flat with a nasty bolt/screw, it was repairable but I only had about 5,000 miles. Take a look at your treadlife left and see. The Intergitys do not have a long warranty, but how muc you have left depends on your driving habits, type of roads, etc.

Since you rotate them religiously, why not search for a place that does it for free with the tire package. Walmart does, but many people prefer not to deal with them.

3. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If I were to take the plunge, is tirerack the place to go? or is there some local tire retailers that sell them at a reasonable price? How does tirerack work? Do they send you the tires? I do not know what i'm gonna do with four new tires at my doorstep. Do they send it to a tire store they work with?

4. Springtime

Springtime Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigj3347 @ May 23 2006, 07:44 PM) [snapback]259998[/snapback]</div>
    Also having a 2005, I have the free 3 yr roadside assistance and I would have just called and had someone else come out and change the tire. As I recall from reading the roadside assistance literature you are entitled to about $100 if your tire is damaged because of a road hazard (nail?). I would read the roadside assistance literature to see if you are entitled to some sort of compensation. maybe not - but, it would not hurt to check it out.

Springtime

(I don't do tires - that is what roadside assistance and my cell phone are for!)

5. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

If I were you, I'd get two new tires and put the new ones in the front (front wheel drive = front wheel wears out faster)

Then.. pick the nice two from the remaining three, and put them at the back...

Then again, I noticed that some of you prii drivers are pretty meticulous about itty bitty details.. you guys might be in a differnt league than I am... I'm just a casual driver, and I drive my prius with the AC on at 68 F :p

6. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you have BJ's or costco or Sams with tire center, they usually have great tire prices. free mounting & rotating....

if you are strapped- just buy 2 matching the integras... but never replace only 1. keep the old one as a spare in case another one goes.

otherwise, go to michelin!

7. ciparis

ciparis New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigj3347 @ May 23 2006, 07:34 PM) [snapback]260016[/snapback]</div>
    I price them at Tirerack, and then I go to Wheel Works (there's one near me in San Rafael, might be one near you too) -- they'll come pretty close to matching Tirerack + shipping costs if you ask.

If you care about noise (and in California, I'm sure you've experienced the annoying grooved highway noise on those stock tires), it's *much* improved with the Comfortreds. I made the dealer put them on as part of my purchase, since that was the one thing I had a very strong negative opinion on during my test drives (especially compared to my no-road-noise '05 4Runner).

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    might as well repair unless they're worn. I just got a nail last Friday and got it repaired. I have 28,000kms on the clock.

9. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Costco has the Michelin Hydroedges for $111.00 a tire, mounted plus road hazard warranty. I'm gonna call around tomorrow AM for the shops in my area that has the comfortreds but if not, i'm thinking I might as well just get the hydroedges, since the reviews in this forum seem to suggest you can't go wrong with either.

When I got home today, I did the penny test on all my tires and I can see about half of the hair on Lincoln's head, I do not know if i'm just being paranoid or not but when it rained this past weekend, I felt my car was very 'slippery' on the turns. Granted, we're talking about the stock integrities but i've never felt them like this before, so i think I might just take the hit and have them replaced. I'll follow up on wheel works tomorrow too. thanks for all the advice!

10. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

I also had this happen, but I got TWO nails in the same tire (freaking construction debris in the road!) when I had about 15k miles. I had the Toyota dealer patch it, and I kept driving.

They were still OK at 24k miles when I traded it in...

I say patch & keep going if you still have tread.

11. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigj3347 @ May 23 2006, 04:44 PM) [snapback]259998[/snapback]</div>
    How much tread is left on the Integrities? Stick a penny with Lincoln's head in first, in the tire tread and see how much tread is left. If you're at the top his forehead it's getting time to replace them all. If not, and if your tire is not repairable, maybe you can find a used Integrity from a wreck to carry you until you are ready to replace all tires.

I bought my tires from a Goodyear dealer. He gave the best trade-in for my 700 mile Integrities ($40/tire). It pays to shop around, There was a $23/tire difference between hi/lo dealers for the final install including balancing. I waited until Goodyear had a sale and got the tires for $83 each + mtg & balancing. This includes tire lifetime balancing and rotation and a nationwide warranty policy. For that reason, I prefer to go to the tire dealer and not Costco or Walmart for tires.

12. mike0422

mike0422 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(busyrosy @ May 23 2006, 10:17 PM) [snapback]260063[/snapback]</div>
    That's what I do as well. I usually get the front two replaced and put the fronts on the back.

I also don't usually pay for tires, I let AAA do it. I have the AAA credit card and it gives 1% ($50 for every $5,000) back. The rebate is in the form of coupons which I use to pay for my AAA membership and it is good at all AAA repair facilities. I save them up and use them to buy the tires. This also solves the problem of changing a flat since they do that as well.

13. ohgreys

ohgreys New Member

Considering that the last nail puncture that I had in a tire only cost $11.50 to fix, I would fix it and wait to replace the tires, assuming that the tire treads are not less than 1/16" deep.

14. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I replaced my stock Integrities with Michelin Hydroedges from Costco at 12,000 miles. Best decision I ever made.

Right now, if you buy them at Costco, they are only $114 each and the set comes with a $50 gift card. That puts the entire set at just over $400 installed with Nitrogen fillup, free rotation and balance for life and 90,000 treadlife warranty.

Grip on snow and in the rain is excellent, much improved over stock. Noise is no worse than stock.

Nate

15. j24816

j24816 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigj3347 @ May 23 2006, 04:44 PM) [snapback]259998[/snapback]</div>
    I've driven thousands and thousands of miles on plugged tires with no problem. Go to almost any tire shop or gas station (if you can find one that still has service bays) and they can plug the tire in about 15 minutes if it is repairable.

16. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, I called around to just about all tire shops locally and America's Tires had the comfortreds. $460.00 out the door with everything, lifetime road hazard, 80k warranty, lifetime free balance, rotation, and air. Costco didn't have goodyears and their hydroedges needed 10 days to order. America's tires were cheaper all in all.

My initial impressions of the comfortreds are awesome, I dun even feel the small bumps on the road as I had in the past with the integrities. All in all, I couldn't have been more pleases with my experience with America's tires, they were fast, courteous, I went in the AM and they ordered my tires, called me at 2PM to tell me my tires were in, I went back, had my tires installed and I was out of there in 30 minutes.

17. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigj3347 @ May 24 2006, 07:00 PM) [snapback]260671[/snapback]</div>
    That's the most important part! Without the air the tires are lousy.

BTW, it's always better to have the good tires up front. In a skid situation, it's better to have the rear skid than the front. If the rear starts to skid, it will straighten out as you let off the power, and you can still steer. If the front skids, things can be much worse.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nice. Now if only I can find a set in Canada. Could find a dealer that had ComforTreds or TripleTreds when my dad's Camry needed replacement tyres.

19. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I already had 260 miles for my tank of has when I had the tires chagned, I was at abot 46 mpg at the time, The 60 miles I have driven since the change, my mpg dropped to 43 mpg, Is this to be expected? I thought people were saying comfortreds dun have any significant impact on mpg? What am i missing here?

20. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(busyrosy @ May 23 2006, 10:17 PM) [snapback]260063[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ May 24 2006, 10:29 PM) [snapback]260682[/snapback]</div>
    Incorrect. If you have to choose, understeer (plowing at the front) is better than oversteer (increased yaw from the rear. Most modern cars are designed to understeer for this very reason. Most performance cars have a tendency to oversteer making them more difficult to drive, especially in inclement weather (hence why most people feel RWD cars are not as stable in the snow as FWD cars).

New tires should always be installed at the rear not the front, FWD or not.

Want to read about understeer and oversteer?

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/sway3.htm