1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got two different lists of recommendations (2010, 93k)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by feet, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, the trans fluid is definitely hardest of all those, because you need to jack the car up on all fours and it has to be level so that it can properly refill. One way to make sure it’s level is to tape a carpenter’s bubble level to a door with painter’s tape. Then when the car is jacked up, you can tell if it’s level front to back.

Once you have the car on four jack stands, you remove the belly pan and then you can drain the tranny oil, coolantS and the engine oil/filter. Always remove the transmission oil fill plug BEFORE you drain; if for any reason you can’t remove the fill plug, you want to know before you’ve drained the oil.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Four jack stands is the way I go, but there are a few other tricks that'd work: run the front up on ramps and put the rear on jack stands, for example. I think "approximately" level is close enough: the spec is level with the fill hole lip, to 5mm low, IIRC.

I get the front on safety stands, my 6 tons that'll JUST squeeze in, at my preferred support point, when they're fully retracted. Then with the rears I play around with the safety stand extension, usually ends up clicked up about 3 notches, put a level on the bottom side pinch weld, and try to get it close.

One foible of my garage slab: I always find about 1/4" of shim is needed under the left/rear safety stand, or it's loose, leaving the car teetering on 3 safety stands.

3. feet

feet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update- some things happened! Some did not! Others will be attempted later!

Spark plugs and EGR cooler and pipe are clean. If you haven't done this before, let me tell you that it takes forever, and takes even foreverer if you drop something. Like say, the egr gasket.

So it took more than a bit longer than expected to get everything out, do what you came to do and get everything back to where it belongs. But it is doable. Just time consuming.

So all the fluid stuff has to wait until next week.

As for the egr, sure, the parts were dirty. But not as dirty as I had expected. Some build up on either end to be sure, but I guess I thought the thing would be nearly clogged. either way, things are pretty clean now. Guess I can go back to using cheapo gas again :LOL:

Rip that one grommet and a few of those retainer clips

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The back end one? The front one, between EGR valve and pipe, has clips on it. The back one, that you can hardly see, does not. :mad:

Besides the strong possiblity of dropping, it's a real pain to align when reinstalling.

5. feet

feet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's the one. It was gone for a while. Securing the bottom bolt on that thing was probably the most difficult and arduous part of the entire stupid process. I would advise caution if you do not have magnetic or telekinetic powers.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You get better each time you do it;).

Try it two handfuls of times and its amazing how it goes:).

Glad you got those bits sorted though and good lick with the remaining work(y).