1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

gotta get snow tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prius123, Aug 16, 2010.

1. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So I guess nobody wants my studded winter tires?

2. prius123

prius123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    went to canadian tire and got the goodyear nordics with studs on black wheels was 850. Thought the black wheels looked a bit off so got some wheel covers. Wasnt sure what kind there was an 8 spoke one that sorta looked like before but if you get up close you see the other lug-nuts behind. And anybody can just go up and grab them. Probably not going to last long. Pretty stupid the way they do that. But yeah i cant wait till the roads get icy. Sounds like a truck going down the road now though haha.

3. prius123

prius123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dang i hadn't logged in here since, otherwise i would have bought those.

4. prius123

prius123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    went to napa and got those lugnuts but i wanted a locking one too but they didnt have it. Got some at partsource. 40 bucks for just the plain lugnuts, i thought they'd be 15 bucks. Then another 40 for the locking ones. 80 bucks for a few lugnuts was a bit much. And then i was looking at the original ones, the tips seem the same. So i dont know but taking you guy's word on this one.

5. prius123

prius123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, its snowed about 2 feet since last friday and those studded tires sure are worth it. Before I used to see the anti-slip light all the time. Should be allright now.

One thing I noticed today when driving around with it snowing is the snow melts on the windshield and the wipers are below the vent so it all ices up. One time i went to move the wiper up for that single wipe instead of steady on and nudged it a bit and noticed instead of doing a full wipe they just moved up over the vent area. Then it'd melt and could see better. When the wipers are iced up and you turn them on the water streaks are worse visibility than just leaving it spotty. Checked the manual and it doesn't mention the nudge to move them upwards. I'm assuming they did that by purpose but its tricky to nudge it so it just moves up a bit and not a full wipe. Thought i'd mention this in case anybody else goes thru hell with freezing wipers when it snows. Just bought new front wipers a couple months ago and when i got home forgot the wipers in the on position and when i went to start it later they were iced up and turned on and messed them up. Took them off and put them back on the little holder things. They gotta sorta slide left and right when they're in the track. Was able to salvage them.

Then there's the rear wiper.. even if you got the defrost on the thing ices up and you're better off to pretty much forget it. Noticed that one's going bad though but was looking at it and cant figure out how i'd change it. Seems like you'd have to unlatch the spring then would have to buy a new wiper thing but it'd have some plastic on it or something.

Another thing too, the other day seemed like right after i was tapping the front wipers on the glass and was warming up the car noticed a crack in the windshield right where the vent is and later it moved horizontal along where the vent is. First thing i thought was it was because the wiper tapping on the window but then thought maybe it was the heat and cold thing. Got no water coming in but guess all i can do is claim it on auto insurance and pay the 250 deductable or something. I'll deal with that later.

6. prius123

prius123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    was looking around on the internet for pictures about how to change that rear wiper and seen

Attached Files Prius_Maintenance_Wiper_Blade.pdf (1.15 MB, 2278 views)

so that'll help.

7. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    prius123, Is there a difference in 04 and 08 wheels? I wouldn't think so? H

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The '04 and '09 steel wheels should be the same

Don't waste your time and money with "locking" lugnuts. The kids who steal things already carry tools to defeat the "locking" lugnuts

All that happens is that somewhere in BFE you get a flat tire, then you can't find the key and are SOL

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The other alternative is to lift your front wipers up so that they don't freeze onto the windshield.