1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gotta love record high temps!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by efusco, Feb 28, 2006.

1. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While I was down in FL I was getting similar mileage -- close to
    60 over the course of a few tanks, and then as I headed back north,
    it started going lower. And most of that was interstate or secondary
    highways.
    That tree trimmer is way cool. Very super-destructo-robot-ish.
    _H*

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

never seen a 500C doing that kind of work. And the trimmer is cool.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    dang! it was like 78 here today. still right around 50.2, which is pretty decent. cold mornings took me down a bit last week, irritating. maybe i'll hit upper 50s in march.

but i still drive like a badass. B)

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    83 was the record high here today...beat the old record by 5 degrees.
    Get that DH of yours to install an EBH so you don't have to worry about cold mornings...or just do it yourself.

5. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    see here's the problem with that.

no issue with installing the thing... it's the whole "paying for it" thing that keeps me from doing it :lol: his camry is getting a big mechanical facelift, complete with engine rebuild top to bottom. that's the money-sucker as of late. and if we were paying for labor... shudder...

snippet of conversation between me and DH:
    DH: "what's he talking about? the problem isn't that it's too cold, it's that it's not cold enough! what do we need a block heater for in NC???"
    G: "well evan has one, he is in missouri"
    DH: "i don't care what kind of misery he's in. why do we need a block heater here?"
    [laughter]

tomorrow's gonna be hot outside. ick. barely into march and it starts up again. next thing ya know i'll be back into mid 40s mpg to keep from melting. gah.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well...I understand about the cost factor and that's not to be ignored...gotta set the priorities.

But, as to the 'why' I use it in Miserable Missouri....

Nov 2005 MPG (no heater)-53.1
    Nov 2006 MPG (w/ heater)-55.5

Dec 2005 MPG (no heater)-50.6
    Dec 2006 MPG (w/ heater)-50.6

Jan 2005 MPG (no heater)-49.3
    Jan 2006 MPG (w/ heater)-54.6

The improvement over 2004 winter is more dramatic, but it was pre-break in and my first year with the car and thus my driving style wasn't optimal. Also, in fairness, this has been a much more mild winter...Jan. in particular and that is probably as big or bigger of a factor.

Finally, you can always use the "it lets the cabin warm up faster" argument so his little lady won't be chilled when driving the car! :mellow:

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    those are some impressive numbers.

eh, i know we'll get one long before we move back to wisconsin. i think that's where it will be a very worthwhile investment.

and i'm always complaining how it's not winter here because it's not cold- so i don't know how well that argument would work :lol: don't think i've used the heat since we got back from our january trip home actually.

forecast today says 78- already gained .3 mpg on the way in to work in heavy Duke Hospital traffic with 220 mi on the tank. might pop 51 or even 52 by the next fillup at this rate :D

8. ganeydn

ganeydn New Member

9. ganeydn

ganeydn New Member

I didn't realize until it was too late to change it that I could enable email notification of replies. If you replied the message I just sent, please reply to this one, too, just to let me know to look for your reply.

Thanks,

Joe Kurland
    Colrain,MA

10. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Upper 40's? It was 80 here yesterday. I have been using the A/C and right now I'm at 51.4 If you are getting 51.5 in the 40's either that means your car is special or mine is below par. Any thoughts?

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, drive another 10-20k miles, practice all the various FE techniques listed on this site in various threads, increase your following distance and work on anticipating stops, let your car and tires break in, minimize AC use and report back in a year or so....there's nothing wrong with your car, I can just about guarantee it.

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    air conditioning kills...

actually, i say my favorable commute and i mean it. i have tracked my commute thru 3 very different routes and they all vary quite a bit really. the worst freeway still does the 50's in the summer. but my current route gets my over 70 mpg in the summer and the warmer it gets the higher the numbers get.

but my average is higher on my current route now by about 3 mpg. this is a route that is about .6 miles shorter too. its just less stops, smoother traffic flows. its nearly all single lane, parts of it have center left turn lanes but still do better on it.

the other longer route had much more traffic, double lanes for nearly half of the trip. (about a third or so is the same roads as the other) and i thought was a good place for mileage but it had 2 more stops with lights. the other route had right turns in it.

basically, i have a lake between me and work. each route goes around the lake. although it seemed to me to be longer going the way im going now, its actually shorter.

so besides changing your driving habits, take a good look at the routes you take. you might find other options and be surprised at your mileage in what one might think is not all that efficient

13. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I started this tank with a little chilly weather.(35 degrees in the morning) Since then it has warmed up and my mileage has just gotten better and better. I'm at 556 miles right now and I'm at 60.1 MPG. This will be my 8th or 9th tank at better than 60 MPG and better than 700 miles on the tank.

Amazingly my wife came home last night and I took her car to pick up our son. She was showing 57.5 MPG at 35 miles into the tank. She filled up at a station that is lower in elevation than our home. I asked her why her mileage was higher than usual and her answer was that she didn't drive it like a race car driver.

Earlier in the week she raced a corvette and won when the guy backed off in some curves at high speed. Made her day but I worry about her.

14. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Made me think of the 007 movie The World Is Not Enough. Didn't they slice up a BMW with one of those things?

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that's the one...

16. Cynda

Cynda Junior Member

Vegas checking in ....approx 55-60 degrees during the day, and registering 53 mpg on the screen :D Thats with freeway and city driving, moderate to heavy traffic.

17. BrianTheDog

BrianTheDog New Member

Way to go, Doc!! I just posted my much-improved MPG in another thread. And yeah, I can't wait for spring, either!

It's pretty flat there in MO, right? Lots of rolling roads here (up-down-up-down). But I've learned how to handle them. It does help to drive the same roads every day. (Love the nervous system comment!)

And to those who haven't had their Prii for long... just be patient. My break-in started about 8,000 miles. But it wasn't just me breaking in the car. It was also the car breaking in me. Our bond is growing stronger... we are gradually becoming one.....

:huh:

Oh, and the Tennessee Valley Authority also uses those "choppers" (pun intended). They are really cool to watch... from a distance.

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess parts are flat, but we're in the Ozark Mountains and it's darn hilly (I hate to say mountainous b/c it's not compared to Rockies and Appalacians and such).
    --evan

19. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Most of us are extremely jealous, evan. :p .

A block heater! I could use one of those suckers... because it actually gets cold here! :p.

Still like 40 degrees in New England, and this is unseasonably warm!

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I should tell everyone interested, I finished the tank at ~57.4 on the computer calculating our to 58.2 manually....the day I filled I had a long cold drive (about an hour each way) at highway speed that dropped it from a pre-trip 58.9 or so.