1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gotta question...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Spill, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Spill

Spill New Member

Hi all,
    I've been lurking around here for sometime while waiting for my 06 to arrive. Well, I finally picked up my Black Pkg #5 Prius last Friday and unfortunately it didn't come with a manual, so I'm forced to try and educate myself by trial and error till the manual arrives at the dealership. I have many questions, but my main question is this... When I'm sitting idle with the car at either a stop light or a stop sign, it feels like the car is going to stall. There's this skipping feeling that occurs while sitting still. Is this normal? Did I miss something while reading all the posts on this site? Can't wait to get the manual to find out what this means so I'd thought I'd put it to the experts around here. Any info would be a great help.
    Thanks.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When the car is newer and esp. when the ICE is cold (isn't it always?) you'll sometimes feel that shuddering sensation. It seems to go away with time, though at 35k miles I still, occasionally, feel it.

Also, be sure you've got the brake pedal mashed down firmly...it sorta helps tell the ICE to shut off and makes sure you're not draining the battery while it tries to push the car.

3. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

That shuddering is the ICE shutting down. It feels like the car is going to stall because, essentially... that's what it's done! :D

It shuts off the flow of gas to the cylinders, and halts the rotation of the engine. That pretty much describes what a stall is like :).

The only difference is that this feature (idle-stop) is intentional, and the car can start the engine back up immediately if you ask of it. Next time the shudder happens, listen closely, and you won't hear the engine running.

evan... ideally, if you drive the car right, and it's all properly warmed up, you shouldn't ever need to use idle-stop because the engine would have stopped long before the deceleration and then the stop, right? :)

I am always slightly disappointed when the engine doesn't shut down before I come to a light, and then shuts off after I come to a complete stop. :lol:

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is quite normal, at least to an experienced Prius driver - quite disconcerting otherwise. :huh:
    Sometimes it will feel like the engine is badly misfiring and is having problems actually shutting-off . . . it’s just cheerfully doing its thing.

There are also two other “weird†thing the Prius does. Several seconds after turning the car off, you will hear the sound of a pump moving hot coolant into the “thermos.†Later you will hear the “psssss†of the brake system bleeding pressure and then a pump building it back up.

If you pay really close attention when you are in the process of entering the car . . . sometimes the Prius will pump-up the brakes in anticipation. It really is happy to see you as much as you are to see it. :D

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if he's in S3. The stage where the engine wants to shut down but it can't (sorta like leaving it in B at the traffic light). That can also produce the shuddering sensation